AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading over the Top 5 Westerns , and realized that while I'm not really a Western fan as a rule, there are a number of films in that genre (or films which contain Western elements) that have a way of drawing me in, like...

Firecreek (Great James Stewart, Henry Fonda film in need of a DVD release.)

High Noon

Extreme Prejudice

Hombre

High Plains Drifter

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

100 Rifles

Hang Em High

Treasure of Sierra Madre

Duel in the Sun (aka Lust in the Dust)

Legend of the Lost

Blazing Saddles

Valley of Gwangi

Kung Fu

Any other ideas along similar lines?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
How about Shanghai Noon with Jackie chan and Owen Wilson.

(Not to be confused with the horrible sequel Shanghai Nights).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Support Your Local Sheriff

Support Your Local Gunfighter

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tombstone - Val Kilmer's BEST movie (and I don't usually like him). There is an extreme chick factor to this movie - they all seem to love it despite the language, tobacco spit and bullets.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Any of the Sergio Leone westerns will usually entertain people who don't like other westerns.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crussader
Support Your Local Sheriff

Support Your Local Gunfighter
Yep, these two, plus Silverado. I personally hated westerns until I saw these three. Then I got into Sergo, now I'm a fan!!

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
"Man in the Wilderness" is one I would like to see. It's not on

DVD though. I only remember from the theater and it was a

gritty, amazing story. I just would like to see if it was as good

as I recall.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067388/

b2b

·
Registered
587 Posts
and maybe some lesser known films like The Shakiest Gun in the West and the Apple Dumpling Gang

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's possible I may be a closet Western lover as well, and just unable to admit it to myself. :) IAC, after thinking about this all day (definitely need better ways to spend my time), here's what I came up with. In addition to Westerns that Sizzle (Delaney in Tombstone definitely qualifies), Martial Arts Westerns (Kung Fu, Shanghai Noon), Dinosaur Westerns (Valley of Gwangi) & Height Challenged Westerns (Terror of Tiny Town), we have...

Either vampire movies for people who like Westerns, or Westerns for people who like vampires, I'm not sure which:

From Dusk Till Dawn I & II

John Carpenters Vampires I & II

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter

Billy the Kid vs Dracula

Space Westerns: Outland (though the DVD isn't supposed to be very good)

Frankenstein Westerns:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Geeze, ADU, where do you come up with this stuff?? I like to think I know a few obscure movies but I'm in awe on this one!! :D

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't take credit for all the above, but I think you just gotta know which rocks to look under (or the right gas stations to shop for DVDs). :)

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
It's possible I may be a closet Western lover as well, and just unable to admit it to myself. :) IAC, after thinking about this all day (definitely need better ways to spend my time), here's what I came up with. In addition to Westerns that Sizzle (Delaney in Tombstone definitely qualifies), Martial Arts Westerns (Kung Fu, Shanghai Noon) & Dinosaur Westerns (Valley of Gwangi), & Height Challenged Westerns (Terror of Tiny Town), we have...

Either vampire movies for people who like Westerns, or Westerns for people who like vampires, I'm not sure which:

From Dusk Till Dawn I & II

John Carpenters Vampires I & II

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter

Billy the Kid vs Dracula

Space Westerns: Outland (though the DVD isn't supposed to be very good)

Frankenstein Westerns:

Proof positive that movies are a true art form. It's just the form the art

takes that is still up for debate.:eek:

b2b

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Geeze, ADU, where do you come up with this stuff?? I like to think I know a few obscure movies but I'm in awe on this one!! :D
Is ADU a Video Watchdog reader, perhaps?

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
The Big Country would fit perfectly I believe. Citified Gregory Peck locks heads with tough cowboy Charlton Heston, and eventually it makes for a great showdown towards the end of the movie. In addition to the above stars, the remaining cast includes Chuck Connors, Burl Ives, Jean Simmons, Carol Baker and Charles Bickford. One of my top five favorite westerns and the soundtrack is absolutely incredible.

Not in your horror/western genre, but perhaps just a little better.:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Cat Ballou

The Frisco Kid

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Lonesome Dove

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.