AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning's Target flyer in the newspaper has a Westinghouse 26" LED TV for... well, a very good price imho, as price talk is discouraged here I won't mention it.

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of this set... who actually makes it, any known issues, etc. There's very little info online. I'm considering this set for our bedroom. Currently we have a Dynex 26" from BB on a cable feed which works but has an annoying tuner problem (won't go into). It is exactly the right size for on top of the dresser. I haven't gone to the store yet to see the picture - it's snowing here! - Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hah, I found your post googling for the same thing :)

I can't even find the LD-02657DF model on amazon or target's own website, nor any reviews, so hard to analyze it.

Westinghouse website did have some specs & details, and user manual- no press reviews I could see:
http://westinghousedigital.com/produ...p-to-26/ld265/

720p, 176o viewing angles, 200x100 VESA, 42Watts, 2x5W speakers ,

One odd thing, re inputs it said RF in was only NTSC/ATSC? eg, no mention of QAM tuner (for HD digital cable)? That's a bit of a concern, if you don't plan to have a cable set-top-box.

It has a power brick, so smaller cable up the wall, but not sure how long the wire is.

Decent inputs & outputs: even has RCA audio out!

Item - Function

1. DC in - Connects the AC adapter from this outlet to a power source.

2. TV tuner - Connects the LED TV to an antenna or cable service.

3. Composite AV input - Connect to an external AV device such as a VCR, DVD player, set-top box, or game system.

4. Audio in (3.5mm mini) - Connects to the audio out port of a computer.

5. VGA - Connects to a computer or other device with a VGA output using a 15-pin VGA cable.

6. (RCA) Audio out - Connect to an audio output device.

7. SPDIF (Toslink optical) audio out - Connects to an external digital audio receiver.

8. HDMI 1/2 - Connects to an external AV device such as a VCR, DVD player, set-top box, or game system.

9. USB Service port - For service only.

Has some video modes eg movie/game etc, and 1:1 (no overscan) mode for VGA...

Interestingly, the mfr website for user manual, points to the LD-2655VX manual, not a 2657DF specific one...

don't know if that was a mistake, or they are effectively equivalent (specs/inputs seem the same, except for power 65w vs 42w), ?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Westinghouse does not get a lot of love on this forum. It's generally regarded as "third tier, bottom of the barrel."

All of the great old USA brands are now made elsewhere and the only thing "USA" about them are the names, foreign companies now owning them.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
According to Consumer Reports, Westinghouse LCD TVs were twice as likely to need repairs in the first 3 years as most other LCDs. Viewsonic, Philips, and Magnavox were more reliable, but that doesn't mean that these brands were very good performers.

It is pretty difficult to get good performance, high reliability, and low price.

You should keep looking and if you find something else, you can ask about it.

This one is highly rated: Samsung LN26C450. Try to keep looking to see if you can get one at a price you can afford. There should be more sales through the Superbowl.

·
Registered
269 Posts
re QAM tuner: not sure, but apparently there is an "input code" required to activate HD tuners on some Westinghouse models, including this one?

This probably explains the asterisk note re the NTSC/ATSC tuner input, in the specs page above, "* Free user activation may be required" ...

OK, for the 2657, it appears you can select EITHER? ATSC (antenna over-the-air) OR QAM?

http://wdsupport.net/wdeonlineservice/tunercode.aspx

(select box)

" ATSC - Tuner over the Air

QAM - Tuner thru the cable out of the wall without a setup box (QAM) "

"TUNER ACTIVATION

To enable your HDTV's tuner to scan channels,enter the serial number provided in the Setup Wizard's "Obtain Tuner Activation Code" window.

When prompted by the Setup Wizard input the activation code using your HDTV's remote control and press enter,Your channel scan will begin.

For Assistance call Westinghouse Customer Service at 1-800-701-0680"

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould /forum/post/19635534

One odd thing, re inputs it said RF in was only NTSC/ATSC? eg, no mention of QAM tuner (for HD digital cable)? That's a bit of a concern, if you don't plan to have a cable set-top-box.

2. TV tuner - Connects the LED TV to an antenna or cable service.

Interestingly, the mfr website for user manual, points to the LD-2655VX manual, not a 2657DF specific one...

I immediately noticed the omission of QAM on the Westinghouse website and wondered the same thing, but then it goes on to say "antenna or cable." Also I tried twice to download the pdf manual but it kept hanging up at ~90%. I wanted to see the remote. I'm heading out the door now before the serious snow hits to maybe take a look at it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19635625

According to Consumer Reports, Westinghouse LCD TVs were twice as likely to need repairs in the first 3 years as most other LCDs. Viewsonic, Philips, and Magnavox were more reliable, but that doesn't mean that these brands were very good performers.

You should keep looking and if you find something else, you can ask about it. There should be more sales through the Superbowl.

2X as likely doesn't sound good. FWIW we have four other LCD's (not bragging, honest!) so we're not hurting... I'm not in any hurry and realize that February is generally best dealtime for TV's. We still have a big glass Toshiba set (probably will give away someday) that has been very reliable, but I've read that Toshiba is not so good anymore. OTOH, we also have both an old Philips and Magnavox LCD's (very similar - same remote, only the name is different) and they still work well. The Philips is too big and the Maggie too small for the BR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould /forum/post/19635709

re QAM tuner: not sure, but apparently there is an "input code" required to activate HD tuners... for the 2657, it appears you can select EITHER? ATSC (antenna over-the-air) OR QAM?

Thanks, I could live with that. But based on the posts above I'll probably skip this one and keep using what we presently have. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I confirm it has a QAM tuner, and you do have to input the activation code above, bizarre but works.

The TV seems OK so far, definitely needs picture adjustment out of the box (very bright/saturated);

it remembers settings for analog & digital channels (and composite inputs) separately.

Sound is a bit tinny but loud enough.

Viewing angle (especially from below) isn't so great, will have to compare to other sets and my wall mount ideas... was thinking of this vs a Costco Hannspree 28" (which got good reviews), but had poor vertical viewing angle also, if this isn't better than maybe go w/ the bigger 16:10 screen, we'll see. Hannspree should have better reliability than Westinghouse, I assume..?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts