AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this at BB multiple times and I've been impressed by the PQ in comparison to other higher priced LCDs, but I've gotten conflicting reports on the response time. Most sites have it at 16 ms and some have 8ms, at Westinghouse's own website it says 16 ms in one section, and 8 ms in another. I found THIS manual that says it's 8 ms which I'm inclined to believe. Does anyone have this tv or know for sure one way or the other what the response time is? I would really like it to be 8 ms, if it isn't I'll wait for the newer model.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That model is NOT competive.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...rod-27w6.shtml is a VERY competitive model and is worth waiting for. Should be out very soon. The newer panels are alot nicer. If you are going to go with a model like Westinghouse which uses Taiwanese panels from Chi Mei Optoelectronics, then I highly recommend the newest panel models as the quality of the taiwanese panels on the new models has improved. I am looking forward to seeing the quality on this panel.

The responce time ratings are a MISNOMER because each manufacturer uses different ways of interpreting. The only REAL way to know is to watch motion video and see the results in action. Therefore I would take ANY specs with a grain of salt.

I am awaiting to see the quality of the new Westinghouse model compared to the new Sharp AND Samsung models.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have owned this set since June (bought it online from an Amazon-authorized re-seller- no issues with buying the set from them, BTW) and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

It seems some of the Specs originally stated, even on Westy's own press releases, are wrong. On the box and in the manual, the Response time is 16ms, and the contract ratio is 600:1. I was dissapointed at the mis-stated specs, but as I have said, I'm extremely happy with the set.

I have TWC SA HD box hooked up to it, via DVI, and the PQ on the HD channels are excellent. I'm very happy with the PQ on the non-HD channels, too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am thinking about getting the 27w2, it looked very good for its price when i saw it at BB. Any specific date as to when the 27w6 will be available? what about price?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have not personally seen the Westinghouse yet in the stores. I do know that companies like Sony AND Samsung have decided to use CMO (Chi Mei which Westinghouse uses) and AU panels for the smaller sizes and also the quality must be decent enough nowadays with the panel quality inproving. (However they will likely use the new generation panels of which will be released very soon)

The problem HOWEVER is that build quality on the current model Westinghouse model looked dubious. I saw a picture on the internet of the side panel and the case and panel did NOT look like it was assembled really well. I have not seen the picture quality to judge on the current model HOWEVER the specs did NOT meet my needs.

The new model is of a new design and has nice specifications (HOWEVER as noted they are SUBJECT TO CHANGE, and the manual has YET to be released online).

The problem with Westinghouse is that they release models too quickly and dont improve upon an existing design but rather come out with new designs each time. We shall see how the next one is.

As to pricing, pricing has NOT been announced yet. It should be out very soon in a matter of weeks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
as somebody else said, wait for the ltv27w6.

it should be roughly the same price as the ltv27w2 and has much better specs along with ntsc/atsc tuner.

imo, they should be dropping the price on the ltv27w2 to get rid of them.

another one to wait for is the syntax lt26hvx, but it only has ntsc tuner.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajulius
The problem with Westinghouse is that they release models too quickly and dont improve upon an existing design but rather come out with new designs each time. We shall see how the next one is.

???

In this hobby and business, that sounds like a virtue, rather than a "problem" ;).

They can hop on the latest panels coming out the the low cost plants, as well as upgrade the on board video processing chips in new models. The new models push the cost of the older ones down even more for bargain hunters. Sounds like a Good Thing for consumers to me :D.

Yes, a newer model can also be cost reduced and have worse build quality or downgraded components, but this is true of the Sony's, Sharp's, and other 1st tier's of the world, too, with many, many examples documeted in threads around avsforums for as long as I've been here.

The playing field is leveled in most industries that go from analog to digital, and non-1st tier brands can easily have quality and/or performance that meets or beats the 1st tier brands.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, it has its good AND bad. Consumers DO have a choice and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

As to Video processing, the newer 27" panel doesnt look like its Farodja anymore but rather LSI Logic possibly. I did a google for the terms and it seemed that the LSI Logic was a good match.

The smaller tier vendors say that theirs are as good or better than the top tiers while the top tiers say its all about the filtering and components and they use a higher grade.

And the argument will continue and the truth is there is no clear winner all the time. The background of the Westinghouse management team looks good for a 2nd tier vendor and you always get the consistency of the same panel maker.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Wow, Im wish I would have seen this thread 3 hours ago. I just bought the 27" and now I'm wondering if I should return it and wait. So, the new model will add HDMI, a tuner and up the contrast ratio to 1000:1? And it will be the same current price?

Should I return it and wait for the next model? What are the odds it comes in at the current BB price?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Syntax LT26HVX is also competitive and has a TRUE 8ms gtg LG panel. Someone said they were able to get one and it will arrive on Tuesday. I havent been able to confirm. But the LT26HVX will indeed come out any day now if it hasnt already. The Westinghouse 27" new model will have the Chi Mei panel. It will be an inch larger and the color gamut I think may be higher, I think Chi Mei claims 75% while LG claims 72%.

The Syntax does NOT have the HD Tuner however it does add proprietary sound enhancements and has a Taiwanese Version of Energy Star.

Each version has tradeoffs and fight on keeping costs down at the expense of the product. These companies fight on finding the pricing sweet spot, and then finding ways to cut costs even though it wont result in an optimal product. And you also get the next generation of panels quicker with the Westinghouse AND Syntax over MOST (Not ALL Brands as the LG branded models have the same panel AND all the frills as well like Cablecard, better rendering engine and video processors and the like). So you have to weigh everything and then the decision becomes really tough tradeoffs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
Wow, Im wish I would have seen this thread 3 hours ago. I just bought the 27" and now I'm wondering if I should return it and wait. So, the new model will add HDMI, a tuner and up the contrast ratio to 1000:1? And it will be the same current price?

Should I return it and wait for the next model? What are the odds it comes in at the current BB price?
As to MSRP, it should be the same or less. The prices on LCD TV's are starting to shrink. It will come out maybe September/October.

I myself was leaning towards the Syntax 26HVX but then I decided I wanted a Quality television and so Im waiting till the MAJORS come out with the better panels and lower pricing. The next round starts around sept/october including price cuts and new models from some.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
ajulius- The Westinghouse is decent. I haven't tested it with HD or a good DVD player yet, but so far it's not bad. It's also $400+ less then any other MAJOR set. That's why I liked the set, it's a secondary bedroom set for football season. It gives my wife something to watch while I get my JVC LCOS in the main room :)

However, I also don't want to miss a newer, better replacement within a week or so. The tuner interests me because I wouldn't need a cable box. However, a STB fixes that problem. The CR is OK, no real problem with that on the current set.

What's with the whole panel thing? The new one has the Chi Mei panel, that means what exactly to an LCD noob? This isn't my main set, but I don't want to settle for less either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Westinghouse uses exclusively Chi Mei panels (which is the company which makes the LCD panel). The new Westinghouse model is a 16:9 aspect ratio with 1366x768 res, 8ms panel and has ATSC Tuner (NOTE: Specifications are subject to change)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Right, the current 27" is 16:9 1280 x 720, either 8ms or 16 ms depending on source with no turner. The res increase will need to be scaled back to 720p anyways, so not a big deal there. So, how much of an improvement will the new model offer over the current model? What does the panel offer in terms of performance? The CR increase is cool, but not a major factor. The HDMI is cool, but again, nothing major. So I guess it comes down to the panel and what it offers.

Is Farodja better or worse then LSI? At 27" and 10 feet back, I wonder if these improvements will really come thru?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think I was the one who posted it could have been LSI though I wasn't sure. Did you hear that from the forums here or somewhere else?

Its possible it could be LSI Logic as the specs seem similar, but I have not been able to confirm yet as when I emailed Westinghouse they did not provide me that information even though I asked it (I asked a bunch of different questions).

As for myself Im just waiting out the market and will see what happens.

I think companies like Dell are operating on true efficiencies, so anything else which brings down the costs is going to come at the expense of features and quality since Dell has been the leader on this especially in the PC arena. Even Dell comes at an expense over some other high end makes but it still gives the full performance back even though there are cost cuts which to the user are very less noticable.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I read your post above, but didn't see any mention on Westinghouse's site. So, I'm stuck between returning the set for what may or may not offer any real improvement outside of turner and HDMI.

The unit is a tad flimsy and light, but it's going to be a secondary set and I'd give up a solid build for a few hundred bucks. It's about value first, assuming quality is enough to even be considered.

So, do you know anything more about panels and if the new panel will offer improvements?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The advertised response time does not matter unless you know how it was measured.

A 16ms rated LCD could respond faster and look better then an 8ms. Different manufacturers report response times differently. Some report pixels only rising or only falling. Some report how long it takes for the pixel to turn on,turn off, then on again. Others report how long it takes a pixel to go from complete white to complete black.( Pixels change from white to black faster then they change from grey to grey)

The best way to judge an LCDS response time is using your own eyeball. NEVER buy an LCD based on it's speced response time. As I said earlier a 16MS LCD can easily trump an 8Ms spec'd LCD.

Once the makers know consumers are "clued in" (read clueless) to a certain spec they will ADVERTISE that spec with no real reliable means of getting that information from brand to brand.

In audio the useless spec is THD...but many nut based on it.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
How do you judge response time? I watched Incredibles and saw some interlacing flashes it seemed, but the DVD player is really crap, my 4yr old daughter's Disney set.

I would assume most LCDs will have a response issue for 27" under $1000 in cost?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.