AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving in a new place at the end of august. I am looking for a 1080p 46-47 inch. I don`t feel like the lcds that are 1000 to 2000 more than the westinghouse are worth it... I think this is the best deal for this TV I have seen in Canada, but will the new Wetinghouses be comming out soon, will they be much more expensive? I am in no rush to buy a TV set, but don`t want to miss the opportunity of saving 500$!! I am willing to spend the extra money if the new ones will come before the end of august... here in Canada. I really like the fact that the new ones have usb to upgrade...

I have a PS3, which is the main reason for the 1080p or else, I wouldn`t bother...

What do you guys think, is the BB deal good enough for me to buy my TV 3 months in advance or should I wait and risk to pay much more for the new Westy?? They only have a couple left, I have been in and out of the stores many times, but I cannot make up my mind... If it wasn`t for the USB n the new ones and the additional HDMI plug then I think I would have already bought it...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Check out the Samsung 4661 on Amazon. I picked one up for a couple hundred more than the Westy. A far superior product. Where did you get that competing products are one to two thousand dollars more?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Canada so we have much fewer models to chose from. The samsungs, sharps, lgs and sonys are all 1000 to 1600 more than the westy...

Amazon canada does not carry any electronics and buying from the states would cost me alot of custom fees and taxes. For this reason I say that the west under 2000 CAD is a good deal. The Samsungs are 3000$ CAD here for the 1080p 46inch

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as being a Far Superior product... I would do my research on that because the Westy can certainly hold up against all the big name products... That is why I do not want to spend the extra money for one of the big names`products.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i would say wait. prices are always dropping. westies do a lot of market research before the big boys come in. sometimes they share the same panels as some of the bigger name brands. the internals is where its different. good price for the money if you're on a budget. spend a little more money and get a little bit better pq and features.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that`s the thing. I don`t think the pq will be better on the new ones... their will be a few nicer features, but I don`t think that will justify the extra price that I will have to pay. Not to mention the TV not being avail for the end of august when I need it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I guess I stand corrected. I was unaware of the sale price at BB reguarding the 47w1. The Sammy is considerably more expensive at that price level. However, to absolutely truthful, it was the picture quality of the 47w1 and the limited menu options to adjust it that made me go for the Sammy. At the price point right now, the Westy is an unbeatable bargain, but I stand by my statement that the Sammy offers a noticeably superior picture, albeit for about 800 premium in price. When I was looking to purchase the Westy, it was 2 grand, sometimes on sale for 18 hundred. When offered the 4661 for the retail of the 4061, that made it a no brainer. Looking back, I probably would have been happy with the Westy, but its downfall was it was right next to a 4661 and XBR2, which when all adjusted to my liking, there was an obvious difference. At the price point now, I still may have puchased the Sammy, but would have been as happy with the Westy and a couple extra toys. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
594 Posts
honestly, you pay for what you get. at the same time, you don't want to over pay for features you do not need or want. some brands charge a premium for same/similar technologies/features. some more reliable and some will fail you within a given amount of time. there's a fineline for overpriced goods and economical "quality" goods. if the westie is affordable to you, i'd say buy it. you've got a good retailer to back you and westies have been around for a while. buy the warranty if you're a bit skeptical. you also have 30 days to return if dissatisfied. use good judgement and you won't loose. good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.