AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 3462 Posts

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
You know, it's kind of funny how proud they were of that effect, because the digital flames around the wreck stood out to me as particularly fakey when watching the episode.
yeah, I actually thought some of the special effects looked especially cheap/rushed this week...the huge bot breaking the glass at Delos HQ looked pretty bad

·
Registered
20,250 Posts
Its so strange that this show has all this attention and budget.
I think back to Orphan Black and wonder what that show would have been with the hype and the backing that this show gets.

It had critic hype at the time and won a few awards. It just never got viewership numbers (most likely due to where it aired (BBCA, IIRC). I don’t think the show needed a major budget as they did a smashing job and still got 5 seasons out of it to tell the “full arc”. Something we may not get with Westworld.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
It had critic hype at the time and won a few awards. It just never got viewership numbers (most likely due to where it aired (BBCA, IIRC). I don’t think the show needed a major budget as they did a smashing job and still got 5 seasons out of it to tell the “full arc”. Something we may not get with Westworld.
I was reading an old article in EW about the show and it said that season 1 had 5.5 million viewers. You are correct that it was BBCA so that was probably a great number for that station. Interesting difference between pay channels and "free" channels in that 5.5 million viewers on HBO is probably a great success. Additionally, the HBO shows are going to have a lot more hype and budget.

I am comparing these two shows because even Orphan Black got convoluted in the last few seasons in order to try to keep the story going and that's what I think about WW. Although there isn't anything to compare with the just incredible job that Tatiana Maslany's acting job other than Thandie Newton who doesn't have near the role that Ms. Maslany had.

·
Registered
20,250 Posts
I was reading an old article in EW about the show and it said that season 1 had 5.5 million viewers. You are correct that it was BBCA so that was probably a great number for that station. Interesting difference between pay channels and "free" channels in that 5.5 million viewers on HBO is probably a great success. Additionally, the HBO shows are going to have a lot more hype and budget.

I am comparing these two shows because even Orphan Black got convoluted in the last few seasons in order to try to keep the story going and that's what I think about WW. Although there isn't anything to compare with the just incredible job that Tatiana Maslany's acting job other than Thandie Newton who doesn't have near the role that Ms. Maslany had.

Maybe that was international views? In the US the show often was sub 1 million on live views:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/business/media/orphan-black-cloneclub.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orphan_Black_episodes

·
Registered
5,020 Posts

·
Registered
20,250 Posts
You may be correct. I just remember the EW number but it apparently lost viewership each season that wasn't willing to follow the complexities (or convolutions) although it retained a rabid "cloneclub" following.

Yes it did have a solid following who stayed with the show. Glad they were able to finish things off.

·
Registered
26,537 Posts
You may be correct. I just remember the EW number but it apparently lost viewership each season that wasn't willing to follow the complexities (or convolutions) although it retained a rabid "cloneclub" following.
The higher number may have also been inclusive of streaming views, which aren't counted by Nielsen.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Any thoughts on the implant that they placed on the roof of William's mouth (later removed, I think).

Was it not shown in an earlier episode that Caleb also had one, still in place? I had assumed it was something related to his attempted suicide, but that would not be the case for William.

Was that ever explained?

·
Registered
20,250 Posts
Any thoughts on the implant that they placed on the roof of William's mouth (later removed, I think).

Was it not shown in an earlier episode that Caleb also had one, still in place? I had assumed it was something related to his attempted suicide, but that would not be the case for William.

Was that ever explained?

I think it’s a form of “control”. Caleb is able to adjust himself via it and we could guess that they are able to do the same with this device on William.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Whatever it is, they must really hate William if they did all that surgery without anesthesia or pain killers.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Loved the William on William on William on William on William (think I got ‘em all) therapy session. Nice to see what’s become of the ED-209. Really thought a Charlotte T-800 endoskeleton would arise from the flames. Pretty close.
You beat me to it. I thought the scenes involving the interactions of the multiple Williams were terrific.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
excellent episode...less Dolores/Caleb and more Charlotte/William/Maeve is always a good thing

I loved older William's (MiB) story in this episode...his arc has come full circle...bringing back the actor from Season 2 who played Major Craddock for that 5 second cameo was a brilliant way of reminding viewers of his journey...after 3 full seasons William has finally found the center of the maze...the free will vs determinism aspect is exactly what the recent FX/Hulu series Devs explored...so now William has chosen to be the hero he always wanted to be (the guy who chose the white hat when he first arrived in Westworld)...fantastic job by the writers...

only problem is that now that he wants to be the good guy it can only mean he will die a hero's death...I hope not but it looks like the finale might see the end of the fantastic Ed Harris's time on the show

Charlotte's storyline also was top notch in this...Tessa Thompson is hot and also a very good actress...some of her scenes felt like something out of a Terminator sequel...the riot control mech CGI was really impressive...normally I hate when shows take these long 2 year breaks between seasons but Westworld Season 3 used that time to craft an amazing story combined with a huge budget...this is how you do it...I'm looking forward to the final 2 episodes!

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
excellent episode...less Dolores/Caleb and more Charlotte/William/Maeve is always a good thing

I loved older William's (MiB) story in this episode...his arc has come full circle...bringing back the actor from Season 2 who played Major Craddock for that 5 second cameo was a brilliant way of reminding viewers of his journey...after 3 full seasons William has finally found the center of the maze...the free will vs determinism aspect is exactly what the recent FX/Hulu series Devs explored...so now William has chosen to be the hero he always wanted to be (the guy who chose the white hat when he first arrived in Westworld)...fantastic job by the writers...

only problem is that now that he wants to be the good guy it can only mean he will die a hero's death...I hope not but it looks like the finale might see the end of the fantastic Ed Harris's time on the show

Charlotte's storyline also was top notch in this...Tessa Thompson is hot and also a very good actress...some of her scenes felt like something out of a Terminator sequel...the riot control mech CGI was really impressive...normally I hate when shows take these long 2 year breaks between seasons but Westworld Season 3 used that time to craft an amazing story combined with a huge budget...this is how you do it...I'm looking forward to the final 2 episodes!
Good call on Major Craddock. I knew I recognized him from a previous season, but was not sure who he was. At first I thought he was Lawrence, but that actor is too old.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts

Was that ever explained?
it was mentioned in an earlier episode that Caleb had his implant disabled...I see it as a Valium type of stimulant to treat people who have anxiety or other similar disorders but with Westworld I'm sure it has other uses as well

·
Registered
26,537 Posts
Good call on Major Craddock. I knew I recognized him from a previous season, but was not sure who he was. At first I thought he was Lawrence, but that actor is too old.
The actor is Jonathan Tucker. He plays one of the main characters in Showtime's City on a Hill, and had a notable villain role in the final season of Justified.

Reactions: Keenan

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
so after Dolores unlocked everyone's Incite profile- why is everyone's life projections filled with misery?...suicide, divorce, fired from job, lose medical license etc...doesn't anyone have a successful, happy future?

·
Registered
26,537 Posts
so after Dolores unlocked everyone's Incite profile- why is everyone's life projections filled with misery?...suicide, divorce, fired from job, lose medical license etc...doesn't anyone have a successful, happy future?
I'm sure the top 1% do. Not so much for anyone else.

3141 - 3160 of 3462 Posts