AVS Forum banner

3221 - 3240 of 3462 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think you have a high value on how logical people are ;) I’m on the other side, seen and know enough people to know “logic” isn’t something used often ;) sure they should be angry at incite, but what are they going to do? Risk their life against one of if not the largest company in the world? Sure they may eventually get to Rehoboam, but then what? Depending on who entrenched it is into society it would cause economic and “society” collapse due to all the systems that rely on Rehoboam. This of course is my own opinion based upon what they’ve shown. They’ve allowed Incite to become too powerful, thus getting to them is that much more difficult.
There have been suicides based on the data released, so yeah, they probably wouldn't really worry about risking their life to go against a large company, since they didn't value their lives any longer to begin with.

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
Random thought... I wonder if the all-knowing computer at Incite knows about the computer at Amaya (Devs)? :frown:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I'm just saying what happened in the show isn't that unrealstic. People panic.

And yes, don't take my humor to underpin the current situation, it's a very serious thing affecting a large number of people. But this isn't the thread for that, was just using it as an example of a real situation and how people have reacted.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Random thought... I wonder if the all-knowing computer at Incite knows about the computer at Amaya (Devs)? :frown:
Nah, must be the other way around, Incite's computer lives inside Amaya's computer simulation. Incite has made some mistakes, Amaya's computer is infallible.
Well, besides the fact that predictions broke due to some weird religious metaphor reasoning.

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
Nah, must be the other way around, Incite's computer lives inside Amaya's computer simulation. Incite has made some mistakes, Amaya's computer is infallible.
Well, besides the fact that predictions broke due to some weird religious metaphor reasoning.
Ah, that explains it. Clear as mud ;)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I am blanking on what Amaya's simulation is.. is that where Maeve was?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
ohhhhh, that makes more sense, i thought i was following WW pretty well and was like... huh?

I will check that out, FX has some good stuff sometimes

Reactions: aaronwt and Ph8te

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
All I'm saying, when most people receive a cancer diagnosis (usually from a very trusted authority) and are told they have six months to live (a predetermined fate of the absolute worst kind), they don't jump off the nearest building or riot in the streets against whatever institutions they blame for their cancer. Yes, there are definitely some who have little to no support network, get depressed, give up hope and end up killing themselves before the pain and suffering get too bad. And there are those who might become activists, either in support of medical research or awareness about environmental pollution near their home. But the VAST MAJORITY find some way to make the most of the time they have left in a positive, constructive way to the extent the disease progression allows.

I also suspect that most people in Futureworld didn't get tragic news. I mean we really don't see too many people at the bottom of the economic scale. And even for them the high-degree of technological advances make life a bit easier and comfortable (like Caleb's robot construction tool). Sure, everyone can expect some setback at some point in life (losing a home in a fire, financial setbacks, death of a loved one, etc.)—that's just life. But knowing in advance would better prepare most people to deal with it. In other words, such an info dump should have a net positive effect on society even if there is indeed nothing you can do to change the predicted outcomes.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
I'm on the side that the Incite info dump causing mass chaos and suicides as shown stretches believability.

Even the psychiatrist committing suicide on the spot in her office upon discovering that exposure of her unethical behavior will prove career ending was somewhat eye-rolling. Sure, someone like that might go into a depression after assessing her situation and ultimately kill herself after not finding better options. But you'd already have to be totally unhinged and on the verge of doing something desperate for something like that to trigger immediate action. And I'm sure that incident was meant to represent in microcosm what's going on everywhere (in another scene we see a body fall from a building just behind Charlotte as she and her son are walking on a public sidewalk).

If anything, at the extreme, we'd see mass divorces, people changing identities and leaving the country, selling all their worldly possessions and traveling the world (or whatever was on their bucket list), etc. I'm not saying no one would react violently or harm themselves, but it would be more on par with what we see currently in our world when mentally ill people get bad news.

Speaking of buckets, Caleb himself made that analogy with the rats in the bucket, which showed that when there is any glimmer of hope, they'd continue to fight to their last breath, even if it was totally hopeless. Unless the world's morale is already quite low (say from years of war, pandemic, economic depression, etc.), I think the vast majority would figure out some way to make life still worth living even if they discovered their current course was effectively predetermined in its predictability. At the very least, this Futureworld looks chock-full with fun, immersive distractions that people could find total escape in.

Well, if it was fleshed out properly and well written, we wouldn't have two pages of discussion about it, so yeah, something's out of whack here.

But at this time I'm going to let the defendant slide, while issuing a stern warning to the writers to get their **** together from now on. Where's my gavel...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Catching up...Just Watched "Genre"

It comes down to “humans are predictable”, given enough data (and Incite has it “all”) they are reliably able to determine the outcome of actions taken. We’ve already seen how it controls them, by “pushing” a person into x way of life and then ensuring that they are never able to get beyond y point. This is all for the supposed greater good so that society (humans) keep on living.

You may like to know about xyz, but it’s the knowledge that you don’t actually have the free will to change it that will be crushing. Knowing the system has already determined that you’ll commit suicide or die from a heart attack and it will control your life to ensure that outcome will happen. Those who try to fight the system are dealt with by sending out to war, etc (as Serac said fed to the paper shredder). The same thing could be said about business ideas. Yay now I know my plans won’t work out, boo I’ll never figure anything out that will work. It’s taking away the hope one has of being “better”.

How open you are to the idea will probably come down to how open you are to the thought of you NOT having free will at all and your path has already been determined. In this world Incite has taken control and fed you an illusion of free will. You may “think” you can work out to avoid a heart attack, but the system has already determined that’s how you’ll die, so it puts things in place to ensure that will happen. You may think you have a good business idea after finding out which ones don’t work, but the system has already deemed you a “failure”, so that’s all you’ll ever be.

They showed how the system “works” it predicts multiple “paths/decisions” and pics the best one for humans as a “whole”. It then manipulates everyone’s life to ensure the “best” outcome given its task (survival of the human race).
I just finished S3E5 "Genre" so I'm trying to not get ahead in these posts.
I like @Ph8te 's summary. It all sounds reminiscent of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. In Asimov's storyline the broad outline of humanity's path has been predicted up to certain key moments in history at which point specific choices can redirect humanity's trajectory in one direction or another. That sounds very much like the role of Serac's "Outliers."

Ditto to all the positive comments about the music in this episode and pfft! to the complaints about the car chase. This was an episode that I thoroughly enjoyed and yeah...this is feeling way more fun than S2.

I think I'm going to hit pause and watch episodes episodes 6 & 7 later next week in preparation for the finale.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I suppose it depends upon when actual filming was done, but I am thinking the masks were CGI added fairly recently, given current events.
Masks are not uncommon in Japan...even before COVID...so sprinkling them randomly and sporadically throughout would not necessarily have had anything to do with the current pandemic

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Dolores is way too all-knowing on this show...she was trapped in the parks like every other host yet when she leaves the Park she immediately becomes this God like figure who knows everything about the outside world, how to manipulate everyone (including other hosts) and creates these elaborate plans etc...how would she have even known before leaving the park that she would need exactly 4 host copies of herself (plus Bernard)?...hopefully by the end of the season we find out she's being manipulated by Ford or Arnold
In the parks she was controlled by limits set by humans. Those have been removed now that she is in the real world and is in control of herself. Our world is electronic - if you were basically a walking supercomputer, you would be a god in this world.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
In the parks she was controlled by limits set by humans. Those have been removed now that she is in the real world and is in control of herself. Our world is electronic - if you were basically a walking supercomputer, you would be a god in this world.
but my point is that Dolores seems much more advanced then any other host...these elaborate plans she has in the 'real' world seem way more evolved and no other host (or human) seems to be on her level to figure out what she's planning...Bernard, Stubbs, even Maeve (who's advanced in her own way but still doesn't seem as advanced as Dolores)

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
but my point is that Dolores seems much more advanced then any other host...these elaborate plans she has in the 'real' world seem way more evolved and no other host (or human) seems to be on her level to figure out what she's planning...Bernard, Stubbs, even Maeve (who's advanced in her own way but still doesn't seem as advanced as Dolores)
Delores was the very first host. Arnold spent a lot of time with her, testing her "fidelity" and other attentions he didn't give to any other host. She also remembers everything. They've spent a decent amount of time over the first 2 seasons telling us that Delores is simply different from the others. Now we're seeing just how different she is.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Delores was the very first host. Arnold spent a lot of time with her, testing her "fidelity" and other attentions he didn't give to any other host. She also remembers everything. They've spent a decent amount of time over the first 2 seasons telling us that Delores is simply different from the others. Now we're seeing just how different she is.
but her age should not be a factor since basically all the hosts are computers...it's like I said in that same earlier post- "hopefully by the end of the season we find out she's being manipulated by Ford or Arnold"...which would explain why she needs Arnold (aka Bernard)

it would make more sense if she were some sort of Ford hybrid or that she has some special programming based on Ford's knowledge of the 'real world'

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Masks are not uncommon in Japan...even before COVID...so sprinkling them randomly and sporadically throughout would not necessarily have had anything to do with the current pandemic
Since Prime was showing all pre-Craig 007 series in 4k, I watched YOLT circa 1967 the other night. One of the assassins was wearing mask. As some of you had spotted on this show set in Singapore, one of the pedestrians was also dawning one. Germany just mandated it as of next Monday nationwide.

3221 - 3240 of 3462 Posts