AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 3462 Posts

·
Registered
20,224 Posts
Delores was the very first host. Arnold spent a lot of time with her, testing her "fidelity" and other attentions he didn't give to any other host. She also remembers everything. They've spent a decent amount of time over the first 2 seasons telling us that Delores is simply different from the others. Now we're seeing just how different she is.

I would agree with you. Dolores and Maeve are the two “above” the rest as far as abilities go. Bernard would probably be number 3. They have all been given special abilities to “lead” or do other tasks. Could all hosts be like them? Sure, if you spiked their abilities and gave them the same experiences/knowledge. For this story however the 3 stand “above”, if everyone was just turned to 11 it wouldn’t be much of a battle.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
but her age should not be a factor since basically all the hosts are computers...it's like I said in that same earlier post- "hopefully by the end of the season we find out she's being manipulated by Ford or Arnold"...which would explain why she needs Arnold (aka Bernard)

it would make more sense if she were some sort of Ford hybrid or that she has some special programming based on Ford's knowledge of the 'real world'

I think it comes down to more than simply hardware or even age, but also experience. Remember S1 and that whole 'consciousness game' thing, Ford going on about suffering leading to consciousness. Dolores being 1st, and certainly suffering more than most, would probably put her above other the hosts. Or at least in the upper echelon (along with Maeve).

I do agree that she seems a little more powerful in the human world than one would expect. But I probably mean it in a different way than you do. She should be sort of a god in a world run by computers, but she adapted to blending in/dealing with humans better than one would expect. It's like she knows exactly what to do, exactly how to gain power, and how to appear perfectly normal in a society she had never known of before ... that came a little too easily. But I wouldn't consider it a big deal -- if we pretend she had the 2 year gap between seasons to adapt, it works. Just that as a show, we view it more seamlessly, so it felt like she went right from WW refugee on the run to super powerful host in human world.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
but she adapted to blending in/dealing with humans better than one would expect. It's like she knows exactly what to do, exactly how to gain power, and how to appear perfectly normal in a society she had never known of before ... that came a little too easily...
yes that's exactly what I meant...she's manipulating every human, is a little too good in terms of formulating these elaborate plans and is overall way too familiar with the ways of humans for someone who literally just stepped foot into the 'real world' a few months ago...yes as a computer she can adapt and be superior in a certain way but not in terms of the raw emotions it takes to be an actual human being compared to a robot (it doesn't matter how much advanced programming you have)...in a way it reminds me of that AI chess program that defeated grandmaster Garry Kasparov

also like I said earlier- how would she have known before even leaving the Park that she would need exactly 4 copies of herself (plus a Bernard pearl)?...that would mean she had already formulated this elaborate plan before even stepping into the 'real world'...she knew which humans she needed to replace etc...again I'm hoping it's because Ford/Arnold are still in control or maybe even still alive

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
yes that's exactly what I meant...she's manipulating every human, is a little too good in terms of formulating these elaborate plans and is overall way too familiar with the ways of humans for someone who literally just stepped foot into the 'real world' a few months ago...yes as a computer she can adapt and be superior in a certain way but not in terms of the raw emotions it takes to be an actual human being compared to a robot (it doesn't matter how much advanced programming you have)...in a way it reminds me of that AI chess program that defeated grandmaster Garry Kasparov

Well, the question is, was it just a few months ago? I mean, it could have been a year or more between the events of S2 and S3. One would normally assume it hasn't been more than a couple of months, especially the way we typically view seasons, but it's certainly possible she had more time to adapt.

Agree though, her progress seemed quick. Just that it's more feasible the more time we give her.

Edit: And yeah, she had to formulate some of her plan before she left the park, but we don't have to say she formulated her entire plan beforehand. As for Bernard, we still don't know exactly how she plans to use him ... guess we'll find out soon enough.

And I don't think Ford or Arnold are part of things anymore. I'm not so sure it makes sense anymore either ... at a certain point, she just needs to do her own thing.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Well, the question is, was it just a few months ago? I mean, it could have been a year or more between the events of S2 and S3. One would normally assume it hasn't been more than a couple of months, especially the way we typically view seasons, but it's certainly possible she had more time to adapt
it's been 3 months since the events of Season 2...the news report that Bernard was reading in Episode 1 about the massacre of the Delos employees mentioned it

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
it's been 3 months since the events of Season 2...the news report that Bernard was reading in Episode 1 about the massacre of the Delos employees mentioned it
Yeah, then I agree, 3 months was too quick. She seemed way too well set up within just a 3 month timeframe. If you told me at least 9-12 months, it's more believable.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Yeah, then I agree, 3 months was too quick. She seemed way too well set up within just a 3 month timeframe. If you told me at least 9-12 months, it's more believable.
That is one aspect of this season that has stuck in my craw a bit. From the moment when Halores got off the boat after the massacre, she had to build the new hosts, including a new Dolores for Dolores, but more importantly figure out what there was to know about the real world, seduce Liam, infiltrate Incite, plan and launch her insurrection....that is a lot in three months time.

I suppose it is possible that she acquired some of the knowledge necessary to hit the ground running based on all the data that Delos harvested from the guests when the park was still functioning, and possible she may have had memories retained from the early days before James Delos invested in the park. She has been in the real world before and interacted with the 1 percent. And, she was a total smoke show even then. :)

Or it could all just be bull schiite and another massive exercise in disbelief suspension. Either way, I still find the show hugely entertaining, however implausible.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
From the moment when Halores got off the boat after the massacre, she had to build the new hosts, including a new Dolores for Dolores, but more importantly figure out what there was to know about the real world, seduce Liam, infiltrate Incite, plan and launch her insurrection....that is a lot in three months time.
Not when you are a supercomputer that can "think" faster than the typical human.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Not when you a supercomputer that can "think" faster than the typical human.

That's been my assumption. She's basically a supercomputer. So with all the knowledge she gained of human behavior as a host, her previous experience in the real world, access to guest memories (we saw her accessing key people in the "library" at the end of season 2), and all the knowledge she could quickly obtain about the world as soon as she plugged into the internet, it should only take her a matter of days to get the lay of the land and formulate a plan. Remember, she doesn't sleep and she can turn her "stats" up to 11 like Maeve does.

As far as the pearls she chose to take with her and how many, I don't think she had a specific plan in mind when she grabbed them, though we know that she was already controlling a Hale host when she left the island.

I find Dolores's capabilities in a high-tech computer-controlled Futureworld the least of the stretches in believability this season requires.

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
Is the Dolores inside Hale's body the original Dolores from the park, and the one in the Dolores body a copy? Or did Original Dolores swap her consciousness back into her original body first and then put one of the copies inside Hale?

It's interesting to me that the Dolores body is clearly the leader of this group, and treats the others like her children or subordinates. Obviously, in storytelling terms, that was most convenient for the Nolans to misdirect the audience and drop a plot twist about there being multiple Dolori. However, I'm intrigued by the possibility that O.G. Dolores could be the one inside Hale's body who's gone soft and become emotional about humans.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
As far as the pearls she chose to take with her and how many, I don't think she had a specific plan in mind when she grabbed them, though we know that she was already controlling a Hale host when she left the island
I disagree about that...of course she had a specific plan when she took 4 copies + Bernard...she ended up using exactly all of them...I could understand grabbing 5 and using 3 or maybe grabbing 4 and needing 7 etc...but she took the exact amount she needed which implies she knew exactly what she was going to do prior to leaving the Park

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I disagree about that...of course she had a specific plan when she took 4 copies + Bernard...she ended up using exactly all of them...I could understand grabbing 5 and using 3 or maybe grabbing 4 and needing 7 etc...but she took the exact amount she needed which implies she knew exactly what she was going to do prior to leaving the Park

For all we know she only took what she was able to get (and safely sneak out in Charlotte's purse) and has now put them all to good use. If she could've grabbed more (dozens or hundreds), you don't think she would've as back up, save for a rainy day kind of thing on the off chance she needed to create a robot army?

I think she took Bernard for the reason she's stated (as a potential check on her activities if she takes things too far), though likely there are other reasons we don't know yet.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Is the Dolores inside Hale's body the original Dolores from the park, and the one in the Dolores body a copy? Or did Original Dolores swap her consciousness back into her original body first and then put one of the copies inside Hale?

It's interesting to me that the Dolores body is clearly the leader of this group, and treats the others like her children or subordinates. Obviously, in storytelling terms, that was most convenient for the Nolans to misdirect the audience and drop a plot twist about there being multiple Dolori. However, I'm intrigued by the possibility that O.G. Dolores could be the one inside Hale's body who's gone soft and become emotional about humans.
Are all of the Doloreses overlaid with the Wyatt personality, or is the OG Dolores "original" in that she doesn't have that added layer? I don't know, just asking. It would make your theory more interesting if Halores doesn't have Wyatt. I suppose with the breakout from Delos HQ that she probably does, but it would be interesting if she didn't have Wyatt but the situational pressures are forcing her to rise to the occasion.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
I think I like the "she's a supercomputer" explanation the least. It give the writers the easy way out of everything because supercomputer. Yet they still portray her as struggling and vulnerable when it suits them. She should have seen all the chases and shoot ups a mile away. Plus Serac should be no match for her once she's on the network. Her skills and lack of should be defined by the show, or every time they write themselves into a corner it's but, supercomputer. There was already too much of that last season with Maeve.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
There was already too much of that last season with Maeve.
Maeve pulls it off better because she can only control other hosts along with electronic systems...Dolores has this strange ability to control everything and manipulate everyone with no real explanation on how she's able to do it...supercomputers are programmed to be really good at specific tasks, there's no computer that can control all aspects of human existence...look at some of the AI robots they created in today's world...they would never be able to take over the world

·
Registered
20,224 Posts
I think I like the "she's a supercomputer" explanation the least. It give the writers the easy way out of everything because supercomputer. Yet they still portray her as struggling and vulnerable when it suits them. She should have seen all the chases and shoot ups a mile away. Plus Serac should be no match for her once she's on the network. Her skills and lack of should be defined by the show, or every time they write themselves into a corner it's but, supercomputer. There was already too much of that last season with Maeve.

That’s IF Serac is real and not a construct of Rehoboam ;) it’s a fairly even matchup since Serac is either a construct of it or has its power “behind” him.

In the end everyone makes sacrifices of over powered characters and each will have its weaknesses that are created for plot convenience. A rag tag group of people best an empire with superior firepower, Superman has a weakness of green kryptonite, somehow the Borg/et all continue to lose. It will just mater how much leeway you’re willing to give the writers/creators of those characters ;)

She knew there would be conflict, she’s even said that it may come down to that a few times. She can’t read the future however. She’s placed her copies in her In important roles/places to reach her end game and thus far it seems she’s had most of everything “planned for” in advance (possible outcomes).

·
Registered
26,853 Posts
Delores is very smart and figures things our very quickly. But she doesn't have every skill. For instance, she can't control other hosts with her mind, like Maeve. As to the number of pearls she smuggled out, it probably had to do with the number she could safely stash in that purse. If Charlotte had regularly carried around a backpack, Delores would have a lot more allies, I'm guessing. ;)

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
That’s IF Serac is real and not a construct of Rehoboam ;) it’s a fairly even matchup since Serac is either a construct of it or has its power “behind” him.

In the end everyone makes sacrifices of over powered characters and each will have its weaknesses that are created for plot convenience. A rag tag group of people best an empire with superior firepower, Superman has a weakness of green kryptonite, somehow the Borg/et all continue to lose. It will just mater how much leeway you’re willing to give the writers/creators of those characters ;)

She knew there would be conflict, she’s even said that it may come down to that a few times. She can’t read the future however. She’s placed her copies in her In important roles/places to reach her end game and thus far it seems she’s had most of everything “planned for” in advance (possible outcomes).

Every time I see "Rehoboam" I think it looks like something out of LOTR. :)

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Delores is very smart and figures things our very quickly. But she doesn't have every skill. For instance, she can't control other hosts with her mind, like Maeve. As to the number of pearls she smuggled out, it probably had to do with the number she could safely stash in that purse. If Charlotte had regularly carried around a backpack, Delores would have a lot more allies, I'm guessing. ;)

I guess I'm saying she has every skill when it's written that way. I just think it's abusable story wise.

·
Registered
26,853 Posts
I guess I'm saying she has every skill when it's written that way. I just think it's abusable story wise.
Well, they can't make her all-powerful. She has to have some weaknesses or there wouldn't be any dramatic tension. Think Superman & kryptonite.

3241 - 3260 of 3462 Posts