AVS Forum banner

3281 - 3300 of 3462 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sort of disappointed with Maeve's singular focus...

Not sure I'm getting any character motivations anymore....I guess it doesn't matter...just watch the entertaining show with **** blowing up

I don't really get Maeve's motives at all this season. I realize she has some forced reasons for being on Serac's side, but she can't truly believe all will end well after she gets rid of Dolores. If anything, you'd think she either would be on neither side, or figure out a plan B using Dolores to get what she wants. And although it looked cool, why would she bring a sword to kill Dolores? I mean, wouldn't a machine gun or bazooka make a little more sense?

The Dolori (or specifically the Charlotte flavor) turning against Dolores makes more sense than Maeve's motives. Although even in Dolori's case, you'd think she would have programmed in some safeguards -- like try not to turn on your fellow Dolori hosts.

Some little things that didn't work so great for me in this episode --

Yakuza Dolores must have the worst aim in the world... who was he/she aiming at with the machine gun during the opening fight scene? It's like nothing was hit.

Why were the bodies in suspended animation? Killing them seems to make a lot more sense. Unless there is some unexplained reason?

How did Bernard know so much? He just looked up Caleb's profile and like 2 minutes later all of a sudden knows he's the linchpin to Dolores' master plan, and he will be the one to end humanity?

Caleb's 'reveal' about his partner had much less impact than it would have if they didn't telegraph it in earlier episodes.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
great episode...so many theories running around in my head so I'm looking forward to the finale to see how they wrap up this amazing season...I was worried that Jonathan Nolan was going to dumb the story down this season based on all the complaints about S2 being overly complicated but it seems even more cerebral this year...I'm still seeing complaints about the show being too complex and how it needs to be about more then solving complicated puzzles and riddles but I for one love it

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I don't really get Maeve's motives at all this season. I realize she has some forced reasons for being on Serac's side, but she can't truly believe all will end well after she gets rid of Dolores. If anything, you'd think she either would be on neither side, or figure out a plan B using Dolores to get what she wants. And although it looked cool, why would she bring a sword to kill Dolores? I mean, wouldn't a machine gun or bazooka make a little more sense?

The Dolori (or specifically the Charlotte flavor) turning against Dolores makes more sense than Maeve's motives. Although even in Dolori's case, you'd think she would have programmed in some safeguards -- like try not to turn on your fellow Dolori hosts.

Some little things that didn't work so great for me in this episode --

Yakuza Dolores must have the worst aim in the world... who was he/she aiming at with the machine gun during the opening fight scene? It's like nothing was hit.

Why were the bodies in suspended animation? Killing them seems to make a lot more sense. Unless there is some unexplained reason?

How did Bernard know so much? He just looked up Caleb's profile and like 2 minutes later all of a sudden knows he's the linchpin to Dolores' master plan, and he will be the one to end humanity?

Caleb's 'reveal' about his partner had much less impact than it would have if they didn't telegraph it in earlier episodes.
Speaking of Yakuza Dolores, did I miss it or has no one commented about Clementine showing up in Jakarta to kick some Yakuza ass? Where did she come from? Did Maeve create her?

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
Speaking of Yakuza Dolores, did I miss it or has no one commented about Clementine showing up in Jakarta to kick some Yakuza ass? Where did she come from? Did Maeve create her?
Yes. Clementine and the Japanese girl were among the 3 or 4 (?) pearl/bodies that Maeve was able to reprint (with Serac's help) before Haleores wrecked the printing room in that shootout at Delos High Command.

Hector was another one, although his "rebirth" was just virtual. But his pearl has been squished so he's not merely dead; he's really, most sincerely dead.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
great episode...so many theories running around in my head so I'm looking forward to the finale to see how they wrap up this amazing season...I was worried that Jonathan Nolan was going to dumb the story down this season based on all the complaints about S2 being overly complicated but it seems even more cerebral this year...I'm still seeing complaints about the show being too complex and how it needs to be about more then solving complicated puzzles and riddles but I for one love it
Although I do like this season and it's definitely better than S2, I think they did dumb down the story somewhat this season ... at least compared to S1.

I wouldn't call S2 a 'smart season', more like it was twisty for the sake of being twisty, which is mostly just lazy writing. They used puzzles instead of characterization or plot. That only works in video games, it's not so great when telling a story.

For this season it's certainly more straightforward. But there are a number of things folks have pointed out in this thread that don't make complete sense, and I don't mean in a puzzly cerebral way, I mean in a realistic sense. And they replaced characterization and motivation with eyecandy/action and apparently a very high budget. Not that I am complaining about the latter, just that I'd rather have a smarter show than a nice-looking show.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
they replaced characterization and motivation with eyecandy/action and apparently a very high budget. Not that I am complaining about the latter, just that I'd rather have a smarter show than a nice-looking show.
I think the show is still very character driven...Dolores, Maeve, William etc all are on interesting journeys and have evolved from S1...I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Caleb character...maybe it's because I will always associate Aaron Paul with Jesse Pinkman but his introduction on the show as this apparently pivotal character just doesn't feel natural to me

I do like Serac and he fits in seamlessly but Aaron Paul seems like stunt casting where they said 'Hey let's get Jesse Pinkman on the show to create some buzz and get people to stop talking about the divisive 2nd season"

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think the show is still very character driven...Dolores, Maeve, William etc all are on interesting journeys and have evolved from S1...I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Caleb character...maybe it's because I will always associate Aaron Paul with Jesse Pinkman but his introduction on the show as this apparently pivotal character just doesn't feel natural to me

I do like Serac and he fits in seamlessly but Aaron Paul seems like stunt casting where they said 'Hey let's get Jesse Pinkman on the show to create some buzz and get people to stop talking about the divisive 2nd season"

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have no clue what Maeve's motivations are in this season really. I know what they presented as reasons, just that it doesn't really feel like valid reasons. It's more like they needed a foil for Dolores and figured the fight scenes would look cool, so sort of forced Maeve into that box.

Serac is fine, and I guess I'm okay with Caleb as a character in a general sort of way. I think his introduction as a pivotal character does feel a bit off to me too. And I think the reason is that so many dominos had to fall just into place for any of this to make sense.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
the fact that they're saving the big reveal of who Dolores' 5th copy/pearl in Berlin is for the finale makes me think it's a pretty big reveal/surprise...I originally thought that the pearl in Berlin was actually Dolores Prime and that all the other 'Dolori' are just copies...why risk getting your arm cut off and generally exposed when you can just make the copies do all the hard work...I'm still thinking it's Dolores Prime but I also think that since the show loves its twists that it may be someone else like Ford or even a Serac copy in Berlin

this whole thing with outliers, Solomon, memory reconditioning, Rehoboam etc is so complicated and interesting that I have no idea where they are going with it...I'm impressed with Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy's ability to create this elaborate labyrinth of a story...did they really have all this planned out from the very beginning?...their ability to keep everything consistent with everything that came before it might be the most impressive part of this series

·
Banned
26,895 Posts

That sounds more like a Troy-problem than a Joy-problem. ;)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I haven't seen the movies but they are comparing this season to large parts of The Matrix and Inception.
:eek: You have not seen The Matrix?

How? Why? Were you raised by the wolves in the jungle?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dolores is way too all-knowing on this show...she was trapped in the parks like every other host yet when she leaves the Park she immediately becomes this God like figure who knows everything about the outside world, how to manipulate everyone (including other hosts) and creates these elaborate plans etc...how would she have even known before leaving the park that she would need exactly 4 host copies of herself (plus Bernard)?...hopefully by the end of the season we find out she's being manipulated by Ford or Arnold
Dolores has seen the data that Serac is looking for to perfect/fine tune Rehoboam's predictions so her prescience and manipulations to steer things towards her desired outcome doesn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What is the significance of Caleb? Is it a coincidence that the savior/ender of Humanity happened to stubble upon Dolores 1 when she was hurt in that alley in episode 1? OR did she know about him and lured him in?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What is the significance of Caleb? Is it a coincidence that the savior/ender of Humanity happened to stubble upon Dolores 1 when she was hurt in that alley in episode 1? OR did she know about him and lured him in?
I believe she lured him in. That’s certainly suggested later in the season when she is inflicted with multiple gunshot wounds and seems to be fine. He plays too large a factor to be sheer coincidence.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
I now agree that she was just faking being hurt when he first found her, given her later "immunity" to more gunshots. Although she did seem to be hurt & limping right after the gun battle; she didn't just start her distress under that overpass when she first met him. It would "bring me Joy" to hear them explain that little inconsistency.

There really isn't any logic behind when a host is hurt or killed by gunshots and when they seem to be undamaged by them. Maybe it depends on where they get hit? Like humans, perhaps some areas of their robot physiology are more vulnerable to damage than others? Clearly, they are able to turn their pain response on & off.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
I'm also not seeing why Caleb is so "special" yet either. He doesn't seem to be anything terribly special or unique. Yet he seems to the "ultimate outlier", the one who will change everything. Perhaps it's just because he happens to be the one who gets the data downloaded by Solomon before it got EMP'd...? If so, that was really just a lucky break. Right place, right time.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
what happened to the Guns N' Roses Sweet Child O' Mine piano cover that was used in the Westworld S3 trailer?...was that made specially for the trailer?...like all his previous Westworld mixes Ramin Djawadi did a great job with that...hopefully it appears in the finale

Jonathan Nolan also mentioned prior to the start of the season that all 6 of the Parks would be revealed before the end of the season...so the final park will definitely be in the finale...lets hope that everything that has been happening this season is not going to be erased and revealed to be FutureWorld...Westworld (Park 1), Shogunworld (Park 2), The Raj (Park 6), Warworld (Park 3) and the officially unnamed Park 4 which we saw glimpsed in Episode 2 (Medieval/Game of Thrones setting) have all been shown

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
what happened to the Guns N' Roses Sweet Child O' Mine piano cover that was used in the Westworld S3 trailer?...was that made specially for the trailer?...like all his previous Westworld mixes Ramin Djawadi did a great job with that...hopefully it appears in the finale

Jonathan Nolan also mentioned prior to the start of the season that all 6 of the Parks would be revealed before the end of the season...so the final park will definitely be in the finale...lets hope that everything that has been happening this season is not going to be erased and revealed to be FutureWorld...Westworld (Park 1), Shogunworld (Park 2), The Raj (Park 6), Warworld (Park 3) and the officially unnamed Park 4 which we saw glimpsed in Episode 2 (Medieval/Game of Thrones setting) have all been shown
Jurassic World?

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm also not seeing why Caleb is so "special" yet either. He doesn't seem to be anything terribly special or unique. Yet he seems to the "ultimate outlier", the one who will change everything. Perhaps it's just because he happens to be the one who gets the data downloaded by Solomon before it got EMP'd...? If so, that was really just a lucky break. Right place, right time.
Caleb is the ultimate figurehead for what is wrong with the society created by Serac. His life was stolen, reprogrammed (A Clockwork Orange style), deceived, and held at a manufactured low rating. He represents the “Human Host” - someone who is being used as a pawn in someone else’s game of pleasurable chess. Aaron Paul seems to strike the cord of ambivalence with so many, and as many have stated, seems to be an odd choice to play the character. I for one have liked him in this role, and can see the change coming - he will no longer be Dolores’ lost puppy dog and will step up and bring the crazy that all of us Breaking Bad fans have seen him bring many a time.

On another note, I would love to get a glimpse of Serac’s file. He seems to be the ultimate outlier of his little experiment, displaying all the behaviors he so wants to control.

Reactions: aaronwt
3281 - 3300 of 3462 Posts