AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can have my builder add a wet bar to the basement but honesty it seems over priced. What would it cost to install something like this myself?

Builder wants like 8500 plus 3000 for granite.

The rough in was $750

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I can have my builder add a wet bar to the basement but honesty it seems over priced. What would it cost to install something like this myself?

Builder wants like 8500 plus 3000 for granite.

The rough in was $750
That seems high. Depending on where you are located, granite counter tops 2'x8' are $200-$500 per piece. Bartops about 75% of the counter top price. If you have a Home Depot close by, take your photo to their kitchen design center and they can quote you based on the cabinets and counter top materials they carry. I would guess $2500 for the cabinets, $300 for sink and faucet, and $600 for black granite. Flooring ? Lighting ? Appliances ? Unknown.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
It does seem a little high unless your going with high end finishes. Cabinets are prob $2500 average. The granite itself is not expensive. It's the fab and install that costs. 3k seems to high though. Shop around and get a few bids.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Cost sheet shows base cabinets are 6400, if you want anything other than crappy honey wheat colour its 8500. Laminate is 300, granite is 3000. There is one more level above that which would put you around near 15k.

Lights would be $300 each above the bar, and a couple recessed would be $200 each. Its not cheap.

I guess I could go for the $6400 with base laminate included but I dunno... id rather save and do it next year I guess.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks guys. Cost sheet shows base cabinets are 6400, if you want anything other than crappy honey wheat colour its 8500. Laminate is 300, granite is 3000. There is one more level above that which would put you around near 15k.

Lights would be $300 each above the bar, and a couple recessed would be $200 each. Its not cheap.

I guess I could go for the $6400 with base laminate included but I dunno... id rather save and do it next year I guess.
I would go ahead and pay for the plumbing rough-in, but they are gouging you with those other prices.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
That seems really high, unless you're in England or Hawaii or something.

That seems like the "I don't want to do it it price, but here's my crazy number anyway" type of number.

I'd keep shopping.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That seems really high, unless you're in England or Hawaii or something.

That seems like the "I don't want to do it it price, but here's my crazy number anyway" type of number.

I'd keep shopping.
Yeah, theyre not custom builders so i think the 'option' of wetbar isnt something they really care to do. Ive paid for the rough in, i sent my drone over the lot last night and can see the pipe works in place before they pour the basement floor this week.

Im going to to do my own after the fact... cant be that hard if i go slow and read a lot.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts