AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have done some cursory reading on horns and WG......... Do you pick a system based on room size or pattern of dispersion, or a hundred other parameters... I have really warmed up to the idea of horns or WG and see guys just workin in what they purchase or build, but can any one work.

I hate to say this, is there too big of a cinema array for a house......

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'm far from the resident expert KG, but I'll give you my humble input.

I have experienced multiple situations where the dispersion pattern/room width/height have affect results in a way I saw as not insignificant. I've heard speakers in wider rooms, that have wider dispersion through the horn and sound fantastic...then the same speaker in a narrower room sound much different. Exactly how much of that can be handled with treatments, room eq, etc I'm unsure, but a good portion I think. That said, I'd certianly map out, as I have on my own project, the scaled room dimensions and the pattern of the speaker to optimize the choice of units, placement etc.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1  /t/1523436/wg-and-horn-room-size#post_24506974

I'm far from the resident expert KG, but I'll give you my humble input.

I have experienced multiple situations where the dispersion pattern/room width/height have affect results in a way I saw as not insignificant. I've heard speakers in wider rooms, that have wider dispersion through the horn and sound fantastic...then the same speaker in a narrower room sound much different. Exactly how much of that can be handled with treatments, room eq, etc I'm unsure, but a good portion I think. That said, I'd certianly map out, as I have on my own project, the scaled room dimensions and the pattern of the speaker to optimize the choice of units, placement etc.

Sounds about right. I guess I have to get a room first, then I will map out, Thx!!

One more thing, are threeways really necessary in smallish rooms....

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran  /t/1523436/wg-and-horn-room-size#post_24506547

So, I have done some cursory reading on horns and WG......... Do you pick a system based on room size or pattern of dispersion, or a hundred other parameters... I have really warmed up to the idea of horns or WG and see guys just workin in what they purchase or build, but can any one work.

I hate to say this, is there too big of a cinema array for a house......

When I was designing my new system I had thoughts of bandwidth and directivity in mind.

Originally I was going to use a large format JBL Pro horn system but it was brought to my attention that it may not have the extension I was looking for (whether or not I would have noticed
) so I looked into 'mid horns'. I stumbled upon Wayne's mid horn and it simply fit the mold. On it's own it has a useful bandwidth that is easily mated with various 1" horns or other. It was not small but it was also very affordable yet capable.

So it was a bunch of things, things that mattered to me and what I thought I would be a solution to what I wanted to accomplish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts