AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RS VU-190 antenna with a preamp going into my E86 receiver. I am receiving my hd stuff from Chicago, about 25 miles as the crow flies from the transmitter SE of the transmitter in Portage, Indiana. I have been battling with reception since I got this setup about 4 months ago, and everything (except WBBM) has been pretty solid. Well, for the past 2 weeks, WGN channel 9 has not come in. I used to get a signal strength in the 80's on that WGN, but now it is hovering in the 15 range. Nothing changed with my setup at all, and all of the other stations remain the same. Any ideas on what I can try to do to get this all working again. I just don't understand why everything else from the Sears Tower is working fine and WGN has disappeared. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We just installed our Sony HS200 last week. WGN is just fine. Good strong signal in Naperville 30-35 miles west with a winegard antenna in our attic.

Greg

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Since WGN-DT"s equipment upgrade in September, it has been the strongest signal I receive here (attic DBT + 92-inch rabbit-ears for WBBM). SS ranges from 70+ on WBBM to 97 for WGN.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
tusharriv,

Hi neighbor !!

Get WGN on a Strong Signal here in Michigan City !

WBBM........ well that's another story ! :mad:

Have to wait and see after that New antenna is fully operational.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a Winegard on the roof (also a larger antenna). Installed three weeks ago. At first, I received everything digital, from both the Sears Tower and also from the Hancock. Signals were all strong. I got WBBM, WGN, WLS, WBBM PBS, WB, UPN, all of the Pax stations, everything. I got both 11-1 and 11.2 for PBS feeds. I got WBBM channel 2.1 (really channel 3) clear as a bell.

After about 2 weeks, I suddenly lost two statsions: Channel 7.1 ABC, and also PBS' feeds on Channel 11.1 and 11.2 (WTTW). Yet, the others all remained strong. Even WBBM Chennel 2.1 digital, which is usually the "problem station."

I checked, and realized that the antenna had "slipped" in the high winds. It was pointing much too far East (for my location). Instead of the required 33 degrees (for my location), it was almost a perfect 45 degrees.

I climbed on the roof, moved it, and voila! Problem solved.

I, too, at first wondered if something had changed in the 2 stations' signal strengths. WBBM is from the Hancock, but I was getting another station from the Hancock with no problem. PBS is from the Sears Tower, but I was getting ALL of the others from the Sears Tower with no problem. Because of this, I did not think it could be the aiming of the antenna. I was wrong. Even if the locale is the same, the signal strengths are so different, that I had lost the weakest ones (and somehow kept the very weakest, WBBM). Go figure.

So, among the other things to check, make certain the aiming is still good.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.