AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came to post this originally that I have componets form my abus system that I would like to reuse but after reading it looks like, perhaps I should sell that and go with
Sonos, Denon Heos, Nuvo systems as they are the way the future. With that being said here is what I have and im wondering I currently have a HK AVR-3600 that has nothing wrong with it. It is a dual zone (abus) receiver.

I would like to do this as reasonable as possible. My 5.1 will still be wired, but the second zone from the receiver will need to goto a wireless bridge of come sort to feed the wireless speakers.

1) is there some kind of In wall wireless or wired speaker from any company? I saw one that actually runs over the powerline.
2) which product gives me the most bang for my buck id pefer cost savings over super high end
3) I know the sonos:connect will attach to my 2nd zone and distribute audio to the rest of the wireless system. Would a new network receiver make this project any easier where I wouldn't need this bridge attached?

4) what are some other manufactures that I should be looking at. It looks like sonos is the big power player but, they are expensive!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Pretty tricky trying to decipher what you wish to achieve!

An overview of how many Zones, room dimensions of each Zone, what music you want in each Zone, how you want to control the system and an indication of budget.

For a fully functioning multi-zone music system for streaming local and networked music Sonos is a bargain and as yet not matched/superceeded by any of its challengers.

Joe

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty tricky trying to decipher what you wish to achieve!

An overview of how many Zones, room dimensions of each Zone, what music you want in each Zone, how you want to control the system and an indication of budget.

For a fully functioning multi-zone music system for streaming local and networked music Sonos is a bargain and as yet not matched/superceeded by any of its challengers.

Joe
Joe Thanks for the reply, maybe this will help?

In the old house I had a dual zone receiver (hk avr 3600) 1 zone went to the 5.1 the second zone fed an abus system with three keypads.

The new house I don't have access to wire keypads and in ceiling speakers. What im looking to accomplish is to do wha with the second zone as before, using local and networked music. I would also need some kind of bridge to connect to the second zone of the receiver that will distribute it to the vireless system. I know sonos has this.

What product give me the best bang for the buck Id like to save some money at the expense of quality. Id really like a middle of the road type product? and do any of these manufacturers make any kind in wall wireless speaker? And would upgrading my receiver to a "networked" receiver make this any easier.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're wired for A-Bus, look a the new Legrand Digital Audio system, which uses the guts of the NuVo Player line in an A-bus compatible setup...

http://www.legrand.us/onq/audio-video/audio-distribution/multi-room-audio/au7254-wh.aspx

Jeff

New house isn't wired for abus, I have all the equipment but there really isn't a way to easily install it in the new house. Sure I could install it on the second story, but really why. That's where all the bedrooms are and there probably really isn't a point to do so. It would probably be better to sell the stuff. I think the wireless route will be the way to go, its just spendy so im looking to save some cababage some how.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
New house isn't wired for abus, I have all the equipment but there really isn't a way to easily install it in the new house. Sure I could install it on the second story, but really why. That's where all the bedrooms are and there probably really isn't a point to do so. It would probably be better to sell the stuff. I think the wireless route will be the way to go, its just spendy so im looking to save some cababage some how.
Ok, I'm with Joe - really hard to decipher your question. No mention of this being a different house... :rolleyes:

But Joe's advice is spot on - look at the Sonos Connect:Amp units for each room. You won't get a better system, and you can grow over time, starting with one or a few zones and adding more as budget allows.

Jeff

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm with Joe - really hard to decipher your question. No mention of this being a different house... :rolleyes:

But Joe's advice is spot on - look at the Sonos Connect:Amp units for each room. You won't get a better system, and you can grow over time, starting with one or a few zones and adding more as budget allows.

Jeff
My bad on that. It was in the original post before I edited it. So if I understand this right.

I would need the Sonos:connect to distribute the sound form the second zone to the wifi ang then either independent sonos:play for rooms where I want to share that audio, and a connect:amp if I plan on connecting speakers to it.

I was trying to figure out a way to put in ceiling speakers upstairs, with independent volume control, but I think it would probably just be easier to buy one sonos speaker for upstairs and I can move it around.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I would need the Sonos:connect to distribute the sound form the second zone to the wifi
Forget the second zone output - you don't need it unless you really have local content/sources in that room that you want to distribute to other rooms. Most of the time this isn't necessary with the zone-player systems. Each zone just makes its own connection to the digital library or the Internet-based streaming services...

I was trying to figure out a way to put in ceiling speakers upstairs, with independent volume control, but I think it would probably just be easier to buy one sonos speaker for upstairs and I can move it around.
You can certainly put in-ceiling speakers in any room - just run the wires to somewhere you can place a Connect:Amp and you're set.

Buying one Sonos Play unit to move around may be a good start - but over time you'll find you need one in each place they get used. You don't want these systems to be a hassle - if they're not dirt-simple for casual use, they become rarely-used special occasion pieces...

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts