AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 zones. 2 speakers, and 1 volume control in each zone.

Wiring.

1 home run Cat5e for volume control. Simple enough to understand.

Then comes the speaker wiring.

Do I..

A) Run 2x home run 2 conductor cables from each speaker?

Or do I...

B) Run 1x home run 2 conductor cable to speaker 1, then daisy chan another 2 conductor cable from speaker 1 to speaker 2?

As for the controller, I am planning to purchase a Russound CA4 kit. Sorry, I cant post the link here as I don't have enoguh posts yet. Anyways, I can't seem to wrap my head around where the speaker connection is though. The brochure says that the speaker connections are to the wall port, but from the image, it doesn't look like there's much room for anything like that.

Anyone have any experience with this particular unit?

TIA

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
"A". Total of 4 conductors for a pair of speakers. For the most flexibility, you route those 4 conductors through the keypad location (where your cat5e is). But if you're planning to use a Russound or other WHA system from the start, it's ok to skip that extra step. Just know that you're committed to using a 'real' system and not simple volume controls in that case...

The CA4 hides the speaker connections behind that wall plate and they just use short cat5 cables (one per zone) to connect to the unit. I would make sure you have an extra 5-10' of speaker wire tucked in the wall so that if you change systems later, you can pull the speaker wires directly to the equipment...

Jeff

·
Registered
715 Posts
I vote for a combo of 1 and 2 (sort of). Run 16/2 (two conductor, 16ga) from one speaker to the other, then 16/4 from the second speaker to the head end. That way the wiring at the head end is easier to keep straight, since there's one four conductor cable for each room (or pair of speakers). Substitute 14/2 and 14/4 if you prefer.

OTOH, it does require buying two types of cable. If you're not using that much, or you're going to end up with lots of leftover doing it that way, then just home run each 16/2. Just more labeling required...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, a 'real' system was planned to begin with. We originally quoted the builder with a simple setup which is what we typically do to keep cost down but the homeowner is looking for something a bit more high end.

Thx for the tip about routing the 4 conductors through the keypad location. Never thought of that. A few extra feet of wiring can make a lot of difference! Think we'll just stick with "A". Keeps it more straight forward, even if there is a little more labeling needed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, a 'real' system was planned to begin with. We originally quoted the builder with a simple setup which is what we typically do to keep cost down but the homeowner is looking for something a bit more high end.

Thx for the tip about routing the 4 conductors through the keypad location. Never thought of that. A few extra feet of wiring can make a lot of difference! Think we'll just stick with "A". Keeps it more straight forward, even if there is a little more labeling needed.
If they are looking for something high end don't use a Russound system. Step up you Sonos, HEOS or Niles Auriel at the very least. Give them complete control of the system from their mobile devices, as a side benefit they won't have dated keypads to replace 3 years from now. Add an iPad on a Launchport in the kitchen and they will really love you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts