AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
zeos?.. i wouldn't doubt he considers it a hobby, but it's a hobby that pays the bills.. and he doesn't beg for money based on "poverty" .. at least not that i've seen...
Yes, I saw him say it in one his vids yesterday. I think it was the one he explains why he doesn't do music streaming. Hobby that pays the bills, that's a good life. He does the affiliate links stuff and makes some money off YT instead of donations, I guess.
i get it.. but as a person that literally lives below the poverty line with a serious disability , i find it , truthfully very disingenuous , people that have decent wealth here in the states often dismiss their own bad behaviour as a result of the "other guy" being "oversensitive"... personally i just think Amir is fulla ***...when it comes to raising money..
Fair enough. I see what you mean.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Wait a minute, didn't you call him our hero and recommend his review? What gives? :cool:
i agree with most everything you say , one glaring omission though.. THE ACT.. the "I'm poor" line of bs... that's really my main comment.. it's nice that he tests speakers based on contributions, but how about we don't equate his life with the less fortunate in society,, to put it another way .. i wish i had a months rent for every time one of his flock described Amir as "Poor".. i would be paid up on rent till the end of the decade... and great evidence he has a buncha sheep brainwashed.. cause reality differs from his perception...

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Wait a minute, didn't you call him our hero and recommend his review? What gives? :cool:
absolutely .. i like the reviews.. it's kinda like Barry Bonds in baseball.. guys the greatest player of all time.. but he took 'roids.. so everybody hates him (basically for no reason) .. i went one better here , reversing the "logic", i respect Amir.. and his work.... i just think he's fulla **** as a way to fund his "project" .. in my view , if he admitted he's got major coin, and most of the money he collects goes to fixing up his million dollar house , i would respect him.. but dude acts like he's gonna miss his next house payment if somebody doesn't hurry up and send some coin...it is what it is and i see what i see...

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Haha, just giving you grief! :D
absolutely .. i like the reviews.. it's kinda like Barry Bonds in baseball.. guys the greatest player of all time.. but he took 'roids.. so everybody hates him (basically for no reason) .. i went one better here , reversing the "logic", i respect Amir.. and his work.... i just think he's fulla **** as a way to fund his "project" .. in my view , if he admitted he's got major coin, and most of the money he collects goes to fixing up his million dollar house , i would respect him.. but dude acts like he's gonna miss his next house payment if somebody doesn't hurry up and send some coin...it is what it is and i see what i see...

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Haha, just giving you grief! :D
yep.. i figured.. but i was so far down the rabbit hole on this thought i figured i better keep digging my own grave.. man i'm going to be on "double secret probation" (animal house reference) over at asr .. one wrong move and "off with my head" :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Starting my sub crawl now. The first Google result was the audioholics link: Crawling for Bass - Subwoofer Placement Tips.
Does it look ok or do you recommend a better set of instructions?

Also, do you recommend a test song? The link just says "Play a bass heavy CD or other format (not 8 track!) that you are familiar with and turn the volume up"
yep.. i figured.. but i was so far down the rabbit hole on this thought i figured i better keep digging my own grave.. man i'm going to be on "double secret probation" (animal house reference) over at asr .. one wrong move and "off with my head" :)

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Starting my sub crawl now. The first Google result was the audioholics link: Crawling for Bass - Subwoofer Placement Tips.

Also, do you recommend a test song? The link just says "Play a bass heavy CD or other format (not 8 track!) that you are familiar with and turn the volume up"
i don't have one in particular .. i'm sure somebody that reads this will.. in general the album "free" by Amanda Fish has some bass heavy stuff...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

If you have sub questions, you might get more in depth responses on the sub forum.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Thanks, all my friends @Lp85253 @Zorba922 @gajCA @RayGuy are on this forum so I'd rather hang out here if you don't mind. Guys, I performed the sub crawl; strangely the front and back of my home office did not turn out to be the best place. it was the side of the room! I've placed it there - I also tried 0-180 phase and 0 seems to be best. Once I placed the sub, I separated the L/R as per @Zorba922. Seems to image as well as before. Also, flat setting on Vanatoo seems better than Shelved now. Flat = crossover 80 Hz. Shelved = Crossover 120 Hz and a -4 dB shelf applied from 80-150 Hz.

Treble still at -10 dB to reduce brightness.

Isn't 80-150 Hz considered midbass? <-- that's why I'm going with flat. Don't want to lose 4 dB in this region.

If you have sub questions, you might get more in depth responses on the sub forum.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Ouch.

Since you have that room all to yourself, have you ever considered placing your desk diagonally to one of the corners? Like this, but you can try sitting facing the corner rather than away from it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
Thanks. Actually now that the sub is added, the -10 dB treble makes vocals sound muted and dull. I made it -5 dB a while ago and SQ is better. I'll leave it here. EDIT - just figured out the issue. I separated the L/R by distance as you advised. So now the speakers are equilateral with my couch (far-field) and sound good. But when I'm nearfield at desktop, I'm off axis. The speakers are bright off axis due to an off axis dip - I just moved several times to experiment and yep this is true. I recall Stereophile or S&V also found this off axis bug. Since I want to be able to listen both nearfield and on my couch, this may be a reason alone to keep the WD 225 instead

What's the diagonal placement going to improve? This may make work more interesting though since I'll be closer to the window and feel lighter looking out at the green. As of now, I find the room boring to work in.

Ouch.

Since you have that room all to yourself, have you ever considered placing your desk diagonally to one of the corners? Like this, but you can try sitting facing the corner rather than away from it.
View attachment 3047487

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
What's the diagonal placement going to improve? This may make work more interesting though since I'll be closer to the window and feel lighter looking out at the green. As of now, I find the room boring to work in.
It may lessen reflections that exacerbate the brightness. Always free to try out, in any case. Plus you'll get a slight bump in perceived mid-bass.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Thanks, I kept the increased L/R separation as you advised but toed the speakers in so they are pointed at my ears nearfield (that means they cross 3 ft in front of the couch). The brightness decreased on axis nearfield. On the couch far field, the SQ is screwed up (L becomes R). Appears these speakers must be pointed right at the listener, as the professional reviewers said. I'll try the WD 225s next, and only then move the desk since that'll be a lot of work with the monitors.
It may lessen reflections that exacerbate the brightness. Always free to try out, in any case. Plus you'll get a slight bump in perceived mid-bass.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Thanks, I kept the increased L/R separation as you advised but toed the speakers in so they are pointed at my ears nearfield (that means they cross 3 ft in front of the couch). The brightness decreased on axis nearfield. On the couch far field, the SQ is screwed up (L becomes R). Appears these speakers must be pointed right at the listener, as the professional reviewers said. I'll try the WD 225s next, and only then move the desk since that'll be a lot of work with the monitors.
Well, as much as you've jumped through hoops to like/implement the Vanatoo, it's going to have to take a back seat to a more well performing overall speaker. Seems just as well to me, as any speaker you have to take to -10dB (even -5) is already asking to be returned.

Keep at it!

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Thanks, all my friends @Lp85253 @Zorba922 @gajCA @RayGuy are on this forum so I'd rather hang out here if you don't mind. Guys, I performed the sub crawl; strangely the front and back of my home office did not turn out to be the best place. it was the side of the room! I've placed it there - I also tried 0-180 phase and 0 seems to be best. Once I placed the sub, I separated the L/R as per @Zorba922. Seems to image as well as before. Also, flat setting on Vanatoo seems better than Shelved now. Flat = crossover 80 Hz. Shelved = Crossover 120 Hz and a -4 dB shelf applied from 80-150 Hz.

Isn't 80-150 Hz considered midbass? <-- that's why I'm going with flat. Don't want to lose 4 dB in this region.
yes 80 to 150 hz strikes me as all mid bass...

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
I haven't looked in for a while and the page count has ballooned.

How is the sub working out, (and RSL, right?), are you going to keep it?

Are the Wharfedales going back?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Technically, you are not losing it. You are just relying more on your sub to produce sound in this range and less on your Vanatoos. One could argue that your sub is better equipped to play those frequencies anyway, but the downside is that as you go much above 80 Hz, those frequencies become localized, so the sub may start drawing more attention to itself.

Worth experimenting with both options just to hear which one sounds better to you.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
@gajCA it's going well! Pg count ballooned because a couple ruffians hijacked it to beat Amir to death (figuratively) :cool: I really like the Vanatoos with the sub. Now all I have to do is connect the WD 225s and AVR in place of the Vanatoos and listen them for a week. My feeling is they'll sound better due to less brightness. But a hard choice for me will be to choose between the SQ of the WD 225s vs. convenience of the Vanatoos (auto-off while I'm working, no AVR, size, already have stands, plays from USB of laptop while I'm working so no need for additional control device)
I haven't looked in for a while and the page count has ballooned.

How is the sub working out, (and RSL, right?), are you going to keep it?

Are the Wharfedales going back?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Thanks, actually with "shelf" mode the Vanatoos reduce volume by 4 dB between 80-150 Hz. The crosssover is set to 120 Hz. A reduced bass signal is sent to the sub below 120 Hz and reduced signal is sent to L/R from 120-150 Hz. So volume from 80-150 Hz is lost. The reason is to decrease boundary reinforcement.

This is a common feature in studio monitors, and the Vanatoos were based on studio mixing monitors and can be used for the same. I did not know this before purchasing - I just thought, based on AVS that studio monitor neutral and detailed meant good. But not for everyone or folks like me who do not seek that.

Another reason the Vanatoos may not be good for me is they have DSP to iron out all imperfections or biases in the signal to make the output razor flat. Great for audiophiles but for my music it means the natural midbass of the blues and acoustic music I listen to is being depressed and treble is bumped up where I may not want it!

Technically, you are not losing it. You are just relying more on your sub to produce sound in this range and less on your Vanatoos. One could argue that your sub is better equipped to play those frequencies anyway, but the downside is that as you go much above 80 Hz, those frequencies become localized, so the sub may start drawing more attention to itself.

Worth experimenting with both options just to hear which one sounds better to you.

201 - 220 of 344 Posts