AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
@gajCA it's going well! Pg count ballooned because a couple ruffians hijacked it to beat Amir to death (figuratively) :cool: I really like the Vanatoos with the sub. Now all I have to do is connect the WD 225s and AVR in place of the Vanatoos and listen them for a week. My feeling is they'll sound better due to less brightness. But a hard choice for me will be to choose between the SQ of the WD 225s vs. convenience of the Vanatoos (auto-off while I'm working, no AVR, size, already have stands, plays from USB of laptop while I'm working so no need for additional control device)
Well, then maybe the solution is not, as yet, in house. Sounds like you want a powered speaker for your office and that should be your focus going forward.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Thanks, actually with "shelf" mode the Vanatoos reduce volume by 4 dB between 80-150 Hz. The crosssover is set to 120 Hz. A reduced bass signal is sent to the sub below 120 Hz and reduced signal is sent to L/R from 120-150 Hz. So volume from 80-150 Hz is lost. The reason is to decrease boundary reinforcement.
1. You can increase the volume on the sub to make up for the reduced signal being sent to the sub below 120Hz.
2. Also, the 120 Hz crossover point is not a brick wall. Frequencies above 120 Hz are still being sent to the subwoofer, but are gradually attenuated. So, for example, at 150 Hz, the sub is receiving signal that's only 3dB less than what it is receiving at 120 Hz, assuming a 12dB crossover is being used.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
These might be worth a perusal ...

https://www.psbspeakers.com/product-category/speakers/powered_speakers/

On the used market, these may be worth a look:

Paradigm Millenia CT2 Fully Powered 2.1 Home Theater Speaker System | eBay

You'd probably only have to go to -2 in the treble ... and the integration between the sub and sats is exceptional, according to multiple reviews.

This might be interesting to try. Inexpensive, but the 402x unpowered version has gotten some pretty good reviews:

⭐Dayton Audio Powered Bluetooth 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair Aux-In MK402BTX⭐ | eBay

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Thanks @RayGuy, Stereophile says "The plot of the Vanatoo's horizontal dispersion (fig.3) indicates a well-controlled radiation pattern, with evenly spaced contour lines that indicate stable stereo imaging. However, a slight gully develops off-axis at the top of the woofer's passband, which might make the Vanatoo sound a touch bright in small rooms or rooms that are not well-damped."

So perhaps this is what I'm experiencing with the Vanatoos? My room is indeed small and not damped. Hence, I sit only on-axis but I fear that reflections from off-axis are still making it bright?

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Thanks @RayGuy, Stereophile says "The plot of the Vanatoo's horizontal dispersion (fig.3) indicates a well-controlled radiation pattern, with evenly spaced contour lines that indicate stable stereo imaging. However, a slight gully develops off-axis at the top of the woofer's passband, which might make the Vanatoo sound a touch bright in small rooms or rooms that are not well-damped."

So perhaps this is what I'm experiencing with the Vanatoos? My room is indeed small and not damped. Hence, I sit only on-axis but I fear that reflections from off-axis are still making it bright?
Clearly a bad fit for your needs. I'd stop the bleeding and just send them back. I'm having a sense of Deja Vu. You?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
OK I'm getting ready to move the WD 225s and AVR into my home office now. Looking at the pictures of my room that I posted, what do you suggest as toe-in and speaker separation on my desk? I can place the WD 225s 3-5' apart on the desk. I want to test both near-field and far-field. The speakers are heavy and i don't want to move them too many times over the next week.
It may lessen reflections that exacerbate the brightness. Always free to try out, in any case. Plus you'll get a slight bump in perceived mid-bass.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
OK I'm getting ready to move the WD 225s and AVR into my home office now. Looking at the pictures of my room that I posted, what do you suggest as toe-in and speaker separation on my desk? I can place the WD 225s 3-5' apart on the desk. I want to test both near-field and far-field. The speakers are heavy and i don't want to move them too many times over the next week.
i'd try semi toed in.. iow halfway between straight on / at ear.. then adjust to your ears...

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I'd do 5' apart, and just toe them in when in nearfield, and square to the room when in far field.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Thanks, oh man I'd really like to keep the WD 225s if they sound good but they look SO comically huge dwarfing the monitors on my desk! It's like I'm sitting between two SUVs with the headlights next to my nose. The 225s are so deep that they come right up to my face. I don't know how this'll work in near-field.
I'd do 5' apart, and just toe them in when in nearfield, and square to the room when in far field.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Thanks, oh man I'd really like to keep the WD 225s if they sound good but they look SO comically huge dwarfing the monitors on my desk! It's like I'm sitting between two SUVs with the headlights next to my nose. The 225s are so deep that they come right up to my face. I don't know how this'll work in near-field.
That's why I suggested getting a pair of those adjustable floor speaker stands: you'll have tons more placement options and near/far-field versatility with whichever speakers you decide to keep.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Yeah, unless you have a giant desk or a studio setup, typical 6.5" bookshelf speakers are tough to accomodate, unless you place them off your desk. 5.25" is the limit in my current setup, but with a sub, it works fine. In my old office, I was able to put two large towers in front of my desk - I really miss it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
In my old office, I was able to put two large towers in front of my desk - I really miss it.
That's how I roll. Repurposed my old towers for that when I replaced them. Works great though looks a little awkward due to the toeing I had to do due to their short distance from the sitting position.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
Oh man...ok I'm actually looking for soft background music while I work near-field and louder critical listening music when I'm 7' away. Let me see if I can make these WD 225s work since it's been so much effort till this point. They don't look ugly on my desk far-field, only when I'm up against them, working. Hoping they have good lateral dispersion for nearfield because there's no way I can toe them in to point at me (because of space constraints due to their widths) on the desk. I can toe them in to point at the couch 7' away but not ta my keyboard. I was too tired last night after removing the Vanatoos and moving the WD 225s to unwire the AVR from the HT room and wire everything up in the home office. I'll do so today.

Yeah, unless you have a giant desk or a studio setup, typical 6.5" bookshelf speakers are tough to accomodate, unless you place them off your desk. 5.25" is the limit in my current setup, but with a sub, it works fine. In my old office, I was able to put two large towers in front of my desk - I really miss it.

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
@gajCA it's going well! Pg count ballooned because a couple ruffians hijacked it to beat Amir to death (figuratively) :cool: I really like the Vanatoos with the sub. Now all I have to do is connect the WD 225s and AVR in place of the Vanatoos and listen them for a week. My feeling is they'll sound better due to less brightness. But a hard choice for me will be to choose between the SQ of the WD 225s vs. convenience of the Vanatoos (auto-off while I'm working, no AVR, size, already have stands, plays from USB of laptop while I'm working so no need for additional control device)
Keep in mind that the RSL sub unlike some other subs does not do well above 100hz so if you are trying to get it to "fill in" some mid bass lacking in a particular speaker you will likely be disappointed.

From Sound & Vision.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Actually, @Pete7874 standing back the WD 225 doesn't look so awful. see the pic above. I'll connect the AVR now and try passive bi-amping too for the placebo effect. The AVR is hell to set up without connecting a TV to look at the menu on-screen but I just realized I may be able to temporarily connect the AVR to one of my PC monitors and maybe see the AVR menu? I'll need to somehow set the Crossover=80, front L/R to small, and config to 2.1. Anything else?

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Oh man...ok I'm actually looking for soft background music while I work near-field and louder critical listening music when I'm 7' away. Let me see if I can make these WD 225s work since it's been so much effort till this point. They don't look ugly on my desk far-field, only when I'm up against them, working. Hoping they have good lateral dispersion for nearfield because there's no way I can toe them in to point at me (because of space constraints due to their widths) on the desk. I can toe them in to point at the couch 7' away but not ta my keyboard. I was too tired last night after removing the Vanatoos and moving the WD 225s to unwire the AVR from the HT room and wire everything up in the home office. I'll do so today.
View attachment 3047737
That desk looks on the small side to begin with, plus you have two monitors already. $45 for a pair of adjustable floor stands would be money very well spent.

You can always resell the Vanatoos if you decide to keep the WDs and probably get at least 1/2 of what you paid for them, maybe more.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Keep in mind that the RSL sub unlike some other subs does not do well above 100hz so if you are trying to get it to "fill in" some mid bass lacking in a particular speaker you will likely be disappointed.

From Sound & Vision.

@Vikram Iyengar --- Geoff makes a good point. This is where it would have been a better idea to get an Outlaw M8 which I'd expect to have more output above 100Hz...they usually go on sale for BF. Of course, if you decide to keep the WDs, there is a good chance you won't need a sub with them at all.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Thanks @gajCA the left-most blue line is the RSL 10s sub, right? It falls at 90 I see. But what are the purple and green lines.

Your graph helps answer the question of crossing the Vanatoos at 120 Hz and setting the Vanatoos to -4dB from 80-150 Hz <-- I should NOT do this. This may be why when I connected the Vanatoos to the RSL 10s sub, they sounded awesome and much better than before but still a nagging trifle bright after 10 songs.
Keep in mind that the RSL sub unlike some other subs does not do well above 100hz so if you are trying to get it to "fill in" some mid bass lacking in a particular speaker you will likely be disappointed. From Sound & Vision.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Will do. I actually rented these stands from Guitar center along with the JBL LR305s for my kid's karaoke bday party at home.
That desk looks on the small side to begin with, plus you have two monitors already. $45 for a pair of adjustable floor stands would be money very well spent.

You can always resell the Vanatoos if you decide to keep the WDs and probably get at least 1/2 of what you paid for them, maybe more.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
I gather the M8 is a sub? But why not just cross the RSL 10s at 80 Hz? That's the reason I got the WD 225s, so they don't have to be crossed at 120 Hz.
@Vikram Iyengar --- Geoff makes a good point. This is where it would have been a better idea to get an Outlaw M8 which I'd expect to have more output above 100Hz...they usually go on sale for BF. Of course, if you decide to keep the WDs, there is a good chance you won't need a sub with them at all.

221 - 240 of 344 Posts