AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2747 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
As I posted above, I found 11.2s warmer than my liking. Would tweeters open up after a while? Or that happens only with woofers or mids?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
i haven’t read much about the 11.2s specifically, but many other Wharfedale speakers have reportedly taken a little time to break in. I know break-in is a controversial topic, but it seems that I read a little more talk about break-in on Wharfedale speakers in particular.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have been a fan of Energy speakers so far.

Bought first WD speakers, Diamond 11.2. look Liking the sound so far, for my use.. music listening in bedroom, from where I WFH..

Diamond 225, which are $100 more at Amazon.. how much better or different than 11.2s?

I like warmer sound, but 11.2s tweeters sound much more laid back than my liking. Will the sound change after some time?

I have an opportunity to buy Evo 2-8 used (but like new), at $100. Would those sound better than 11.2s?

What is Evo2-8. You mean Evo4.2?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was just going on what some other sites mentioned about the 11.2s being the 225 successor. I haven't really followed WD for a while.
11 Series was considered the replacement for the 200 Series. Looks like it did not exactly playout that way given number of competitive launches. A forum participant explained it quite well. I think there is a lot of merit to his explanation given that the new 12 series is backported.On a production line the down firing port and internal bracing etc add to time and cost.
The 11 Series has used a quite a number of quality components and cabinet .Its like the lower end version of Reva .
Given the price point to compete the 12 series (Fink labs collaborated) with a back port and simpler launched with a lower price point
Entry D series,Evo,Elysian and Heritage series complete the lineup.(other sub,active not mentioned)

What would be valuable is qualitative acoustic compare between 11,12 ,Linton,Denton and Evo series

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
As I posted above, I found 11.2s warmer than my liking. Would tweeters open up after a while? Or that happens only with woofers or mids?
How do they sound to you now?

FWIW, my Wharfedale 10.1 were the only speakers I've ever had that did seem to go through a "break in" process where the sound changed after about a week. Out of the box, I resorted to tone controls and had treble at +4 and bass at -3. After a week, I put both bass and treble back to 0 and have been very happy with them ever since.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How do they sound to you now?

FWIW, my Wharfedale 10.1 were the only speakers I've ever had that did seem to go through a "break in" process where the sound changed after about a week. Out of the box, I resorted to tone controls and had treble at +4 and bass at -3. After a week, I put both bass and treble back to 0 and have been very happy with them ever since.
Unfortunately, I have not used it much since my last post. Going to do that over next two weeks.

For now, I have hooked up jbl studio 230 in that setup. Trying to decide who gets which speakers.. Between me and my son.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Guys. I have just one subwoofer an Earthquake SuperNova for an 11 x 14 feets. My receiver is a Denon X6400h and my main speakers are a pair of Wharfedale Reva 3 towers, Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000 as center a pair of emotivas E2 as surrounds 2 pairs of Def Tech ProCinema 1000 as high frobt and back and a ProCenter 600 as center back. I wonder if I would benefit from another subwoofer?

·
Registered
425 Posts
For any Evo 4.2 owners, are my measurements off or are the woofers in reality 5.25”? I get it has an additional rubber like surrounding that gives it the spec’d 6.5” measurement but it’s kinda lame if it doesn’t deliver the performance or advantage of a “true” 6.5” driver.

Not a major deal breaker for me, as I’m enjoying the hell out of them but when you upgrade from a bookshelf with a 5.25” woofer to larger speaker with supposedly a larger driver and find out the driver is actually smaller than advertised, it sorta burns a little.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
For any Evo 4.2 owners, are my measurements off or are the woofers in reality 5.25”? I get it has an additional rubber like surrounding that gives it the spec’d 6.5” measurement but it’s kinda lame if it doesn’t deliver the performance or advantage of a “true” 6.5” driver.

Not a major deal breaker for me, as I’m enjoying the hell out of them but when you upgrade from a bookshelf with a 5.25” woofer to larger speaker with supposedly a larger driver and find out the driver is actually smaller than advertised, it sorta burns a little.
I took a tape measure to them when they first arrived, and did find the woofer to be a good inch smaller than claimed.

That said, I have no complaints about their performance, so am not sweating it.

Reactions: luvnhateSony

·
Premium Member
855 Posts

Yep. I was disappointed to see they were not 6.5” drivers. Ultimately I sent the 4.2’s back. I was using a Marantz 6013 and maybe it wasn’t enough power but I just could justify $1900 plus tax for 3 speakers that were just meh to me. I did purchase an amp to drive the left and right but never got around to hooking it up.
I like the 225’s better then the 4.2’s but that’s just me.
I ended up with Power Sound Audio MTM 110 for left and right and the 210c for my center for around $1650. Much better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: luvnhateSony

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The way most speaker manufacturers report driver sizes (sans tweeters) is by measuring the distance between two opposing mounting/screw holes. In the case of Evo 4.2, those holes are hidden behind the baffle, so you'd have to disassemble the speaker to measure it, but my guess is that's where you'll find your 6.5". Kinda lame, yes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
.... I just couldn’t justify $1900 plus tax for 3 speakers that were just meh to me...

I ended up with Power Sound Audio MTM 110 for left and right and the 210c for my center for around $1650. Much better in my opinion.

It’s funny, every now and then I find the Evo 4.2’s just meh but then on occasion it’s more the source or material I’m playing..

I’ve tried a few decent stand-mount speakers in the process (HTD Level3, KefQ350, Emotiva B1+, JBL 530s, Aperion Audio GV III, RSL CG23 and CG25s, Triangle Bro3..)

And Quite shockingly, the Triangle Bro3s are the ones that came VERY close to replacing the Evo 4.2 for a few reasons, not necessarily because it produced a superior sound but because I just found it did a lot of things right to my ears or just gave me in some cases a more fun or enjoyable listening experience.

The jury is still out though, while I continue to spend more time A/Bing them.

Now when you mention $1900 pus tax for 3 speakers, does that include their “big, bad” Evo 4C 3 way center channel?

I ask because, I sprung for the Evo 4C at just under $800 and while it’s an excellent center channel, I am still currently underwhelmed with its performance, 2 weeks in..

With the exception of the LOW END, I swear the Emotiva C1+ I returned, was every bit as good as the Evo 4C and it may not be my mind or ears, I should say, playing tricks on me when you consider that both in fact have 5.25” drivers. lol..

The Evo 4C is likely going back cause as gorgeous as it is, the whopping $800 price tag is not justifiable in my experience thus far.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
It’s funny, every now and then I find the Evo 4.2’s just meh but then on occasion it’s more the source or material I’m playing..

I’ve tried a few decent stand-mount speakers in the process (HTD Level3, KefQ350, Emotiva B1+, JBL 530s, Aperion Audio GV III, RSL CG23 and CG25s, Triangle Bro3..)

And Quite shockingly, the Triangle Bro3s are the ones that came VERY close to replacing the Evo 4.2 for a few reasons, not necessarily because it produced a superior sound but because I just found it did a lot of things right to my ears or just gave me in some cases a more fun or enjoyable listening experience.

The jury is still out though, while I continue to spend more time A/Bing them.

Now when you mention $1900 pus tax for 3 speakers, does that include their “big, bad” Evo 4C 3 way center channel?

I ask because, I sprung for the Evo 4C at just under $800 and while it’s an excellent center channel, I am still currently underwhelmed with its performance, 2 weeks in..

With the exception of the LOW END, I swear the Emotiva C1+ I returned, was every bit as good as the Evo 4C and it may not be my mind or ears, I should say, playing tricks on me when you consider that both in fact have 5.25” drivers. lol..

The Evo 4C is likely going back cause as gorgeous as it is, the whopping $800 price tag is not justifiable in my experience thus far.
Yes that is including the the 4c. I couldn’t tame the bass with that center speaker. My wife was complaining that it was hurting her ears. I played with the crossover on the receiver but couldn’t tame the bass. I’m running a PSA s3000i sub. The speakers are big and beautiful while the PSA’s are not so pretty but I like the sound so much better and also important is that my wife likes them also.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sapphire-83 vs Evo 2-8 vs Diamond 8.2 (active)

I have owned energy speakers till now. Recently bought wd 11.2s, which i am loving for bedroom setup. Looking for another bookshelf speakers set for my son's room. WIll be used with a good quality 8" sub (2.1 setup). Usage will be 90% music, 10% movies. If price is not a factor, which ones would you guys recommend?

1) Sapphire sp-83
2) Evo 2-8
3) Diamond 8.2 Studio (active speakers)

thx in advance...

Sent from my rammus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,886 Posts

Yep, I would return it. Wharfedale is playing the same slimy "withhold the one decent 3 way center speaker for our upper end model line so we can price-gouge customers who are suckers for the 'timbre matching' folklore" game that most speaker companies play.

For half the price of the 4C you could get the Emotiva C2+ which would be equal or better. And I am not surprised to hear that you found the C1 to be on par, either.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts

I have owned energy speakers till now. Recently bought wd 11.2s, which i am loving for bedroom setup. Looking for another bookshelf speakers set for my son's room. WIll be used with a good quality 8" sub (2.1 setup). Usage will be 90% music, 10% movies. If price is not a factor, which ones would you guys recommend?

1) Sapphire sp-83
2) Evo 2-8

thx in advance...
If the Evo 2-8 is anywhere as good as the current Evo series, that's what I'd go with. But there's no reason to buy used if you can afford new...zero warranty with used.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know that in terms quality... Opus > Evo > Diamond... And Emerald > Sapphire... but is there a full list of year-wise inventory and brochures/details for WD speakers?. KEF website has an excellent details like this, so checking.

·
Registered
240 Posts

1) Sapphire sp-83
2) Evo 2-8

thx in advance...

I'm down to Evo 2-8. 5" but Kevlar woofers.
Or
Sapphire 83. 6.5" woofers. polypropylene and a graphite fiber cone.

Both seem to have soft dome tweeters, not sure if they are exactly the same.

Leaning towards sapphire due to low end till 45hz vs 65hz for evo.

Anyone who have listened to both... How are the sound signatures for both?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hello All
I'm thinking about the 11.1 for the front of a HT system. How does the 11.C center match up? I ask because they have smaller woofers... 4" vs 5".
Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Has anybody heard any of the new Diamond 12 series? I am curious to hear thoughts of how they compare to previous gen Diamonds since they have a new designer and they're a ground up redesign. I see that some of them in certain finishes have been arriving at Music Direct. I have been waiting for Crutchfield to get the 12.2 in walnut in stock to try out.

2701 - 2720 of 2747 Posts