AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2747 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Music Direct got a shipment of the Diamond 12 Series in yesterday, and my walnut 12.2's will ship today. I have placed many orders from MD over the years and I love dealing with them, but I was kind of hoping Crutchfield would get them in first or at the same time. That way in the event the don't tickle my fancy (but I think they will) it would be cheaper to return them. Plus I live in Upstate NY and based on past experiences I would get them a day or two earlier from Crutchfield.

"The waiting is the hardest part ~ Tom Petty" :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, there was an issue with my order at Music Direct. I placed the order Tuesday night and they were supposed to ship Wednesday. When they didn't I called them on Thursday to see why.

They said they didn't ship because my debit card billing address didn't match my shipping address. I last placed an order at MD in January 2018 and I moved a few months later, so I had to update my billing/shipping address before placing the order. I still have the same bank account/debit card that my current address is attatched to, and I've used it hundreds of times at many places since my move and never had this happen. They said they were busy and they'd have to have someone from the billing department call me back. Out of frustration I told them to just cancel the order. I was having second thoughts already because even though I really wanted to try the new 12 Series, I don't like to and almost never pay full retail price on audio equipment.

Instead, I ordered a pair of the 11.2 at the $199 deal on Amazon. After I applied my gift card balance my total out of pocket was $90 and change. I'm anxious to put them through their paces!

·
Registered
263 Posts
My EVO 4.C and 4.3 speakers arrived. The Center channel is massive and HEAVY. It's way bigger than I imagined. I put an iPhone 11 Plus Max next to the center channel for size comparison. The 4.3 are shorter than I imagined tbh. The sound clarity is awesome for the 4.3 in 2 channel mode. They are definitely on the warmer side compared to the brighter (in my humble opinion, and I still love them) SONOS Arc sound bar. The center channel was also great when watching a movie on Netflix. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
My EVO 4.C and 4.3 speakers arrived. The Center channel is massive and HEAVY. It's way bigger than I imagined. I put an iPhone 11 Plus Max next to the center channel for size comparison. The 4.3 are shorter than I imagined tbh. The sound clarity is awesome for the 4.3 in 2 channel mode. They are definitely on the warmer side compared to the brighter (in my humble opinion, and I still love them) SONOS Arc sound bar. The center channel was also great when watching a movie on Netflix. No complaints so far.
Whoa, that 4.C looks a LOT bigger than the 9" height that Crutchfield lists it as having...more like 15" in your photo. I guess that's just due to your camera angle?

I'd make sure the 4.C tweeter is angled up and pointed at ear level not at shin level, in any case.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Whoa, that 4.C looks a LOT bigger than the 9" height that Crutchfield lists it as having...more like 15" in your photo. I guess that's just due to your camera angle?

I'd make sure the 4.C tweeter is angled up and pointed at ear level not at shin level, in any case.
Yeah, it does look huge. I had it sitting on the foam that came in the box with it. Yeah, in the home theater room, I'll have it angled up.

Thanks again for the recommendation Zorba.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Yeah, it does look huge. I had it sitting on the foam that came in the box with it. Yeah, in the home theater room, I'll have it angled up.

Thanks again for the recommendation Zorba.
You're welcome. If you have a tape measure on hand, I'd be curious to see if Crutchfield's listed 9" height for the 4.C is accurate

·
Registered
263 Posts
You're welcome. If you have a tape measure on hand, I'd be curious to see if Crutchfield's listed 9" height for the 4.C is accurate
So, the height is 10', the depth is 13.5' without the grill, and the width at the widest is 29.5'. The speaker is a weird shape when you look at it from the top. The rear is shorter than the front, but the middle is a tiny bit wider than the front.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just got a pair of 11.2s and an 11.cs for the living room. Very happy with the update from my very old NHT 1.3s. Don't notice a huge difference watching TV, but I noticed a big difference listening to music. Just a more rich sound. For $199 from Amazon, I think there were a steal.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

View attachment 3076782 View attachment 3076783
That's a center? I thought it was a coffee table! Holy cow. Looks like a concert speaker!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just got a pair of 11.2s and an 11.cs for the living room. Very happy with the update from my very old NHT 1.3s. Don't notice a huge difference watching TV, but I noticed a big difference listening to music. Just a more rich sound. For $199 from Amazon, I think there were a steal.

View attachment 3077017
I can't quite make out the numbers on the small clock, what time was it when you took the photo? :p

·
Registered
542 Posts
I can't quite make out the numbers on the small clock, what time was it when you took the photo? :p
I don't know why it looks so bright. It is on dim, and covered with window tint, so it isn't too bright. Ya start getting older, things get harder to see.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
I'd recommend pulling the speakers forward so that their front edges are at least flush with the front edge of the cabinet. Optimally, 1-3" IN FRONT of the cabinet's front edge.

The 11.2 probably sound a lot fuller-bodied and warmer than the NHTs, is my guess?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'd recommend pulling the speakers forward so that their front edges are at least flush with the front edge of the cabinet. Optimally, 1-3" IN FRONT of the cabinet's front edge.

The 11.2 probably sound a lot fuller-bodied and warmer than the NHTs, is my guess?
A whole lot fuller. I know they should be a little more spread and closer to the front of the cabinet. Unfortunately, I have three toddlers running running around, so that are pushed back for their own safety. 90% of the time is spent watching the Disney channel, so I'll just have to move them when I'm allowed to listen to music.

Reactions: Rick88 and Zorba922

·
Registered
362 Posts
The 11.2s have arrived! First thing I want to talk about is shipping. I haven't renewed my Prime membership in 2 years. Nevertheless, I still receive some items just as quickly without Prime as I did with it, though sometimes it has taken 10 days or more (especially since C-19). In this case, I ordered the speakers on Saturday evening and they shipped on Monday. The initial delivery estimate was this Saturday. I've been closely watching the progress as I always do, and was pleasantly surprised when last night it showed they would be delivered today. They were shipped from Kernersville NC to my home in Upstate NY. Needless to say I am very pleased to get them in two days, and even more surprising that this was via the USPS, given all the issues they've had. I was also surprised and happy to see that they came double boxed, wasn't expecting that.

Upon unboxing them I was a bit surprised that the side panels and rear were matte white finish, for some reason I was expecting them to be gloss like the baffles. I'm happy about this. Next, while I have stated I've never been a fan of white speakers, I think these are already growing on me. The contrast between the white cabinets and black plinth & drivers looks good in person.

On to the build quality and fit & finish. My only previous experience with Wharfedale was with the Reva 2, and these share a very similar build quality with their more expensive siblings. Given the old fashioned knuckle wrap test they are pretty inert, not the best I've seen at their original msrp, but better than many. There is only one issue I have found with the build, and that is that the vinyl wrap on the upper corners on the front of both speakers has visible spots where it wasn't applied properly. I can live with this for the price paid, but if I'd paid the original price I'd not be very happy.

Anyhow, I've been letting them warm up to room temperature while writing this post and now it's time to hook them up and give them a listen. More to come...

20210113_144120.jpg
20210113_144405_HDR.jpg
20210113_144441.jpg
20210113_144510.jpg
20210113_144759_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Not sure why my photos posted twice, sorry about that.:rolleyes:
I almost ordered a pair of those myself for desktop use, even though I already have the Diamond 10.1 and am quite happy with them to begin with...was rationalizing that I just "need" white speakers to match my white desk, lol

Lucky for my wallet, Amazon sold out of them before I could further indulge my Wharfedale addiction. :D

Nice to see that they got rid of the silly dual binding posts...

2721 - 2740 of 2747 Posts