AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post though I have been hanging around and reading for quite some time. Currently I'm running a HK 3490 receiver for two channel sound with a BIC Venturi v1020 subwoofer and some KEF c30 bookshelf speakers that are over 20 years old. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers. I listen to all types of music from classical and jazz to dance/club music but mostly rock music. My room is small but we may be moving so that may change. Right now my short list includes the Infinity P362s, which I can get for around $400 shipped. I've had my eye on these for some time and they just became available again. The others are some Wharfedale speakers I just located for what appears to be very attractive prices. Diamond 9.5 for about $550 shipped, Diamond 8.3 for about $250 and Diamond 9.4 for $350. The 8.3 and 9.4 are quite a but cheaper but the P362 and 9.5 are three-way speakers and the others are only two-way. I don't have an opportunity to demo any of these speakers so, absent the ubiquitous "your ears know best", I would appreciate input as to which speakers would be recommended as difficult as that request may be. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not one pair of speakers is clearly better than another or a significantly better value for the price. Lastly, the Wharfedales are listed at 6 ohms. Is this going to be a problem? I know 6 ohms is harder to drive and I do occasionally like to listen LOUD. FWIW I'd like a smooth balanced sound, not overly bright but not muted either. I like my KEFs but, being smaller, the high end is more prevalent. The new sub has smoothed that out a lot. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to complicate things, I can also get some BIC Venturi DV64s for about $250 shipped. I guess the thing about the Wharfedales is that they are a more esoteric brand, around here at least. Ads a little more cachet to owning them but doesn't really help if the performance is not as good. Could really use some input.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongr /forum/post/19525590

I guess the thing about the Wharfedales is that they are a more esoteric brand, around here at least. Ads a little more cachet to owning them but doesn't really help if the performance is not as good. Could really use some input.

Seriously, a VG consideration in a coin flip decision and you can't demo.

Wish I could be of more help. Having owned Infinity P362, I would characterize the performance as vanilla, not bad but nothing stands out. I did hear P362s and Bic towers (model #?) in a store once and preferred the P362.

In the last year or so, new P362s were selling at $200-$250 a pair -- seems tough to cough up $400 now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've see those old prices ($200/pair) on the p362s and that was what originally attracted my attention but they haven't been available at all for a while now regardless of price. Makes me feel some pressure to move on them now. BTW, I can get them for $40 cheaper than what I originally quoted. I guess I'm leaning toward the Infinitys

Ron- No I don't have any way to listen to any of these speakers to audition. For what reasons do you prefer to Wharfedales? Is it a listening comparison experience or based on knowledge of the company/speaker design. Additionally, is the 6 ohm thing a real concern?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongr /forum/post/19525759

I've see those old prices ($200/pair) on the p362s and that was what originally attracted my attention but they haven't been available at all for a while now regardless of price. Makes me feel some pressure to move on them now. BTW, I can get them for $40 cheaper than what I originally quoted. I guess I'm leaning toward the Infinitys

Ron- No I don't have any way to listen to any of these speakers to audition. For what reasons do you prefer to Wharfedales? Is it a listening comparison experience or based on knowledge of the company/speaker design. Additionally, is the 6 ohm thing a real concern?

Thanks again

Listening experience. Infinity's Primus series is a good entry level system, nothing at all wrong with them but to me Wharfedale's Diamond line is a step up. I'd compare them to B&W's 600 series.

Zieg's suggestion for the VR1's is also very good.

What don't you like about your KEF's?

Ron

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My KEFs are pretty balanced until you get down to the lower frequencies but I guess that is to be expected for two-way a bookshelf speaker. They might be a little bright. Like I said, the subwoofer really helped out with that and the BIC and the KEFs blend together very well. The KEFs create a big, open soundstage for a small speaker. To be honest my setup now sounds great, I'm just bored with them (had them for about 23 years) and would like to indulge my hobby with my first new speakers in so many years. Any other thoughts on the 6 ohm issue? Kind of has me scared for when I may want to rock out some ACDC. Unjustified?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.