AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listened to the Wharfedale Evo-30s and really liked what i heard. The place where i demoed it from didn't have any 40s to audition too unfortunately. My question is...

Has anyone listened to the Evo-40s? How do they sound?

If listened side by side with the evo-30s... how does it compare?

Also if you demoed the evo30s/40s with other brands.. how did it compare?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I own the Evo 40's in maple. I love them. Beautiful finish. Solid and well made. They are quite large for sure. Purchased them with the center and a pair of evo-8's for surround. While they do have nice bass, the HSU STF-2 I ordered should really round things out nicely. I did not get to demo them but took the plunge and picked them up based on the few reviews I could find. Glad I did. I did get a chance to demo Energy C-7's and C-5's. I also listened to Paradigm monitor series. Energy sounded thin and bright but the Paradigms sounded nice and warm :) It's always hard to tell in the retail settings what they really sound like in your own home. I could have got the monitor 9's instead but I think the Wharfedale's are somewhere in between the two. They also look better. Just my opinion :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
wow, wharfedale evo owners. very rare...

last year, i demo'ed evo 20's against Paradigm monitor 7's. I thought the evo 20's had WAY more clarity than the paradigms, for slight less $$$. I almost bought the evo's. Ended up w/ Axiom Epic Grand Master system and VTF2. Very happy, though I probably would've also been happy w/ Wharfedale. Nice looking too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just this week I auditioned the Evo 40's alongside the new Wharfedale Opus 2's (sometimes called Evo 60's). Here's the thread with my brief comparison between the two:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...harfedale+opus

As you can see I really liked the Opus 2's compared to the Evo 40's. Styling and design is nearly identical to the Evo's. The Opus 2's came to about 40% more pricewise versus the Evo 40's so you would normally expect them to perform a little better. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
oldskoolboarder, how do the Axioms compare? I almost bought the M60's and then for some reason plunged into the Wharfy's. I am very happy but always wonder what the Axiom's would have sounded like. Tried to buy the Evo's overseas in the UK since they are cheaper over there. Nobody would ship to the US. Finally located a dealer in California that had the best prices by far. For the 5 piece set of Evo's I paid > $1.3k which was a couple bills cheaper than the Axiom set I was looking at.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I have seen the EVO40, but have not heard it. Extremely nice build quality, I would put them up with the Rockets I have seen. And they definitely have a better quality finish compared to the Axioms.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks for the input!

Jcam9

If possible... can you explain some sound qualities that you enjoy when listening to the Evo 40s? also is there anything you find lacking... or wish it can perform better on? What do you use to drive them?

IceTBC...

How much more was the Opus 2 compared to the Evo 40s? Did you get a chance to listen to the Opus 1?

How well does the opus perform in the low-end? I sometimes listen to bass heavy material (hiphop, trance, ect) and was wondering if it can somewhat hold it's own w/o a subwoofer. Same question can be addressed to EVO 40 owners as well.

If anyone else has experience with the speakers mentioned... i'm all ears. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Evo's are very "clean" sounding. Leaning towards bright, but not harsh in any way. I also listened to Athenas at best buy. They were also detailed in sound, but just a tad on the harsh side I thought when I cranked them up. Of course, Best Buy does not have that great of a listening environment either. I looked at the wiring and all of their speakers were connected with really thin speaker wire. Looked like telephone wire :) Probably hurt the sound being produced.

On the Wharfedales good tracks sound very good, but put in a bad cd and you will hear it for sure.

Bass is solid but the STF-2 really makes music come alive. I wouldn't say they were lacking, but after adding the HSU sub, the difference is night and day. I have a kenwood vr6070 receiver to drive them. I would like to try a harmon kardon to see if that warms them up a bit although with the sub it doesn't matter that much. Funny how components sound differently with each other. I also have the evo 8's for surrounds. These are quite large for surround duty and as stand alone speakers they sound very good too. If you were looking at mostly home theater I would say just get four of those + center and sub and you would be just fine. The towers do help when it comes to music though, more depth.

Overall, I am very happy with them. Get compliments on the finish all the time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Great, now I'm even more torn than what I was before... I was thinking of just going the DIY route- but I've also been thinking of getting Wharfedales again. I have a pair of Saphire 87s and love them. I've listened to the EVOs for like 5 minutes.... dealer material.... didn't have time to do a proper audition. Just wanted to see them in person and get prices. If I could get the complete setup for ~$1,300 I might be swayed away from the DIY route..... Then again I'm also looking at Ascends.... I think Axioms would be at my budget limit (the Whardales would be pushing it, but I'l probably just get the LCR and get the surrounds later).

Jcam- how do you think the EVOs would sound with a low end reciever. I'd like to get a Pioneer Elite 55txi or maybe a Denon 3803, but I'd have to save up a lot more to afford it after a speaker purchase...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jcam9

Do you find the speakers to be transparent? Has good depth and imaging?

When i listen to music i want the speakers to just disapear...

I'm wondering if you get that sensation when you listen to the Evos.

In defense for the Athena sounding a tad harsh:

Best Buy probably had the Treble/Bass turned up all the way. That's what i noticed when I casually visited the athena setup at my local BB.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a 20 x 15 living room and the speakers fill it nicely and evenly when playing music. It took some playing with room acoustics to get the most out of them. I have hardwood floors and a large glass bow window which tend to "brighten" them up a bit. That is why the sub has helped to counter this a little better. I also had to play with spacing and toeing in the fronts etc. Still working on setting the sub up properly with volume, crossover range and room placement. I am thinking of getting an spl meter to speed that process up.

I have a full 5.1 setup now, but am not using the rear surrounds as I am building a home theater in the basement which is where the final setup will go. Using only the front three and the sub, movies sound pretty good. Details like tinkling bullet casings during The Matrix are amazing. I can hardly wait to set up the rest. The center channel blends in great during movies, never sounding like the dialog is coming directly from the speaker. The paradigm monitors I heard were good in this respect also. My only gripe with the Evo's is I like deep, tight bass and they seemed a little short to me at times during music. This contradicts what others have said about them. This could be due to room setup, receiver setup or just me not being used to clean and detailed sounding speakers. Don't get me wrong they have tight bass, but I have always had BB/CC speakers with big woofers that pumped out loud if not accurate bass. It used to be quantity not quality. Did I mention the sub really helped? :)

At any rate, I don't have any regrets purchasing them for sure. Now I just need to stay off this forum and out of the audio shops :) :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ster3ohead

IceTBC...

How much more was the Opus 2 compared to the Evo 40s? Did you get a chance to listen to the Opus 1?
Like I commented the Opus 2's came to roughly about 40% more than the Evo 40's.

Quote:
How well does the opus perform in the low-end? I sometimes listen to bass heavy material (hiphop, trance, ect) and was wondering if it can somewhat hold it's own w/o a subwoofer. Same question can be addressed to EVO 40 owners as well.
The Opus 2's are "adequate" in regards to bass but I would still recommend a sub woofer if you are into bass. I know I like good deep bass and have an SVS PC Ultra on order which should arrive next week. Don't get me wrong, the Opus 2's have nice tight bass they just don't go quite as low as I like. ;)

Rich

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ster3ohead,

Just sent you a pm with what I paid :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.