AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I tried a few antennas and none of them worked so now I’m gonna drill holes. My Tvfool info is attached…I’m going to stick an ugly antenna under the eave of my townhouse, where my balcony is. I tried the Winegard HD-1080 and it sucked so I sent it back – I also tried a folded dipole as described here: http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html

and it sucked also. Actually, rabbit ears give me better signal strength than either – and those are just on the verge of giving me a reliable picture.

I'm going to drill holes now, as much as I hate the idea, just so I can get 11.1 and 13.1. I need something that works but it can’t be so enormous that it sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m looking for an antenna that will give me just a little extra gain so I can pick these channels up.

So if someone could kindly recommend an antenna that would really do well to give me extra gain, not look ugly under a small eave, and not cost too much I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/16973294

So if someone could kindly recommend an antenna that would really do well to give me extra gain, not look ugly under a small eave, and not cost too much I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

VHF only, but will stick out a bit: Y5-7-13

This Gray Hoverman design is rated for UHF only, but some of these designs are rated for VHF. I have no first hand experience with this antenna.

http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-8517.html

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You could consider the EZ HD (Denny's Antenna) or RCA ANT751 (sold at Walmart). Holl_ands has modeled this antenna and it has moderate high VHF gain (5 dB) as well as UHF gain. I do have personal experience with this antenna. Your high VHF signal strengths are similar to my area and your towers are 5 miles closer. Should work well.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
If you want compact with higher gain (5-7 dBd), either the 5-element Yagi or the AD C5 are both available.

If you can solder copper pipe, the simple folded dipole that holl_ands posted around two months ago is surprisingly effective. I also made one to use as a reference for use when testing high-VHF antennas and found it works extremely well. Two 90° elbows, two 90° street-ells, about 5' of 1/2" copper M pipe, and a balun with some screws are all the material needed. About 10-15 bucks if you bought it all at a home center. If you bought a 10' stick of pipe and a 1 x 2, you could add a simple reflector and one director.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It depends on what you could consider "compact". The highest gain high band VHF antenna I've seen that is compact is the Winegard HD 7694P. The boom length is 65", but the elements are not very wide. It could fit on a patio. Any simple dipole based VHF antenna is not going to be directional enough to cut out multipath.

If VHF high band is all you want, you could take a hacksaw and cut off the UHF portion of the antenna. The UHF section actually takes up most of length of this design and the antenna would be about around 30 inches long.

EDIT: The EZ-HD does look like pretty good antenna to try.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really good suggestions, thanks! I really appreciate everyone’s help with this.

I really like the RCA ANT751 idea so far since it seems like a good “suburban” antenna that isn’t too huge. I hadn’t come across it before and it’s the type of information I was looking for. The Y5-7-13 looks like a good choice too but I think it would be nice to get rid of the UHF coat-hanger-on-a-stick job I made that worked quite well for a while. It seems like the 751 could eliminate that one along with the combiner and extra cables I have around.

@ ProjectSHO89 – I saw some of the threads that holl_ands created and I was considering the VHF copper pipe thing but I’ve had such bad luck with VHF that I just want a design that works. It looks intriguing though.

Edit: I just ordered the ANT751 based on reviews. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Never trust an antenna that doesn't have published specs.

Winegard's HD769P series is simply the best out there for VHF high/UHF, and the 7694 isn't nearly as noticeable as the 65" boom suggests. I think most people see that and assume it's a monstrosity, but since the largest elements are only about 3' across, it's barely noticeable when mounted up on the roof.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/16979672

...Winegard's HD769P series is simply the best out there for VHF high/UHF, and the 7694 isn't nearly as noticeable as the 65" boom suggests. I think most people see that and assume it's a monstrosity, but since the largest elements are only about 3' across, it's barely noticeable when mounted up on the roof.

I agree. A small, very sturdy, high gain 7-69 antenna.

Winegard HD769 Series specs .

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/16979672

Never trust an antenna that doesn't have published specs.

Winegard's HD769P series is simply the best out there for VHF high/UHF, and the 7694 isn't nearly as noticeable as the 65" boom suggests. I think most people see that and assume it's a monstrosity, but since the largest elements are only about 3' across, it's barely noticeable when mounted up on the roof.

I agree also. Someone in my neighborhood has the smallest Winegard HD series antenna, and it isn't nearly as noticeable as their Directv slimline dish. I've heard nothing but good reports on these antennas. The stations they are aiming at with it are 61 miles away UHF.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'll throw my hat in here as well. I generally recommend the winegard 769x series antennas. Very well built and have excellent gain characteristics. However, given the strong signal strengths in the OP situation, a 7694 is not really needed. The EZ HD/ANT751 does very well in strong signal strength areas and it is about half the size (length) of the 7694.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC /forum/post/16980682

I agree also. Someone in my neighborhood has the smallest Winegard HD series antenna, and it isn't nearly as noticeable as their Directv slimline dish. I've heard nothing but good reports on these antennas. The stations they are aiming at with it are 61 miles away UHF.

I think Winegard's mileage rating for these antennas is very conservative. I've seen a 7694 (often rated for UHF @ up to 25 miles) being used for UHF stations over 70 miles away. I know several people using them at ~45-50 miles out, with no problems.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I need a bit more advice – please.

I received the ANT751 and installed it today. I like that it come with a mast and that it’s not too big; installation was easy and it looks ok on my balcony as it’s not too obtrusive. However, I’m having trouble bringing in channel 13.1. I don’t get why and I hope someone can help me out.

Everything else comes in great, today, and the UHF and hi-VHF channels like 7.1, 9.1, and 11.1 all seem pretty reliable. 13.1 is kind of choppy – it was one of those things where I stood outside and found the best position for 11.1 but 13.1 wouldn’t come in…the best position for 13.1 wouldn’t work for 11.1. However, I found that tuning in 11.1 was more reliable than 13.1 at its best so I secured the antenna for 11.1.

I really don’t get it…looking at the TVFool chart both channels originate from the same location and have the same power. 13.1 is more difficult to bring in but it seems like it shouldn’t be an issue if I can get a reliable lock on 11.1. There must be something else at work here but I don’t know what. I ordered an FM trap just because it’s cheap but I don’t understand why it might or might not help. I’d consider an amp but I have a homerun of about 15’ of RG6 coaxial going straight to the TV so I don’t think there should be much signal loss to warrant such a thing.

Can someone please advise what I should do to improve the signal for 13.1? I’m almost there but I don’t want to get a bigger antenna. I've scanned, deleted, and rescanned but no improvement. I’m only 25 miles from the stations on Mt Wilson and don’t have any major hills or mountains blocking the signal. I’m on the Westside, right in the heart of LA, and my balcony faces the direction of Mt Wilson. There should no reason why it’s so difficult to receive these channels. All I can say is that VHF sucks.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious, how do you look at and compare charts to determine FM interference? Is it the stuff going on in the same section for hi-VHF in the TV chart, the distance, both...? I mean, just because there's an FM station 3 miles from me it won't necessarily interfere with the frequency that's giving me trouble, right?

·
Registered
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/16997740

I received the ANT751 and installed it today. I like that it come with a mast...

You mean that "J-mount" that's shown in the pictures of the ANT751 comes with it ? That raises the price, it would probably be quite a bit cheaper if it didn't come with it.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/16999855

Just curious, how do you look at and compare charts to determine FM interference?

Anytime there is a chance of FM interference, an FM trap is a good idea. It may or may not help, but they are worth a try, even with an un-amplified antenna.

There can also be harmonic issues with FM frequencies, but knocking down unnecessary signals from your tuners input can allow it a bit more breathing room. This can make quite a difference with any weak/marginal TV siganls you are trying to receive reliably.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM /forum/post/16999948

You mean that "J-mount" that's shown in the pictures of the ANT751 comes with it ? That raises the price, it would probably be quite a bit cheaper if it didn't come with it.

Yeah, J-mount, that's what I mean. You're probably right but it's convenient that it's included and works great to mount it on the side of my home. I would have had to buy something anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules /forum/post/17000062

Anytime there is a chance of FM interference, an FM trap is a good idea. It may or may not help, but they are worth a try, even with an un-amplified antenna.

There can also be harmonic issues with FM frequencies, but knocking down unnecessary signals from your tuners input can allow it a bit more breathing room. This can make quite a difference with any weak/marginal TV siganls you are trying to receive reliably.

Thanks, sounds like it's mainly a process of elimination unless I had more sophisticated measuring tools for my specific location.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts