AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a ton of info on all the HD monitors out there, I'm thoroughly confused. So I'm looking for recommendations on the following:

1) It must be a good complement to XBOX (which I will also be using as my DVD player)

2) It must be 16:9

3) I'd prefer direct view since I haven't seen any RPTV's that I've liked (they all seem to have alot of reflection and very poor pictures compared to direct view) but I'm open to suggestions

4) Must be able to accept computer input (so the higher the res support, the better)

5) A big size screen would be nice (like 38" to 60") - the bigger the better - but I realize anything bigger than about 38" means RPTV.

6) Viewing distance is about 11 feet

7) Must be clearly viewable in daylight conditions

8) Price is not an issue

So am I just asking for too much or is there something good out there that can fit the bill? I was originally looking at plasma displays but the blacks are terrible (yes even the new Panasonics and Pioneers). I hear LCOS will be great but haven't seen any in person and I don't want to wait for units that may come out some time in the future. I want something I can use for XBOX in November.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow - you must really like XBOX to buy buying a $4000 TV to connect to a $300 box! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

One of the main problems I've found with current HD monitors is they often have only one input that is capable of high-definition. If you want to connect both and XBOX and a PC and probablu]y eventually an external HD tuner or satellite, you are really pushing the boundaries of most consumer displays.

I believe the XBOX HD output is done via 5-cable RCA "RGBHV" (not 100% sure however), whereas computer input would be done as either VGA connector (could be converted to 5-cable RGBHV RCA or BNC). Most newer TVs that have multiple inputs seem to be favoring component inputs rather than RGB, so conversion might be a problem.

·
Registered
866 Posts
RobbyD,

I would wait until the XBOX comes out to see how good it functions as a DVD player ( progressive or not PQ ect. ) before I would build my whole HT around it.

Its only a few more weeks anyways .........

Bernie

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Xbox will use component HD connections. You have to purchase a seperate HD pack for those. Monster Cable has announced a HD pack, and it may have RGBHV, but I doubt it.

Patrick

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes - I apoligize for incorrectly stating it uses RGBHV. I was confused because of the analog Left/Right audio connectors also on the box. It is definitely Y/Pr/Pb as the previous poster stated (plus either analog or optical audio).

[This message has been edited by Innerloop (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
347 Posts
You need to narrow down you choices just a bit ... The first thing is to choose a screen size, then budget. There are a lot of choices ... 16x9 HDTV is just too broad.

Personally, I'd go with the biggest set you can afford or fit into your place. I would strongly recommend taking a look at some of the new HD ready RPTVs. If the set's primarily going to be used with High Quality Sources (ie: HDTV, DVD, and XBOX), then you'll probably find that a RPTV will provide you with a better picture than a Direct View. With this in mind that a RPTV will need to be tweaked a bit more than a direct view, and burn in is still a concern. Even with a properly calibrated set, you need to be aware that burn into the CRTs could happen with static images (although not as fast as in "tourch mode"

You have to be aware that regular cable/satalite may look bad. Garbage in ... garbage out.

Not that this will matter much, but I've decided to go with the Toshiba's new 57HX81. I'm not specifically purchasing the TV for the XBOX, but I can't wait to play DOA3 at 480p widescreen!! The "H" models are getting great reviews thus far, and the HX have a few additional features... one being an anti-reflective screen http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The Lycos (RCA's new projection TV) does sound interesting, but the price is WAY out of my league. It does sound interesting, and burn-in would not be an issue. The only concern I'd have is black level.

Cheers,

Mass

------------------

My name is Mass, and I'm a Home Theatre Addict

[This message has been edited by Massimo N (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
347 Posts
I forgot to mention ...

To address your concern about computer input, there is a converter that you can purchase that allows a computer cable to be converted to component. I'm sure if you do a seach you'll be able to find it.

Some of the TV's that allow for computer input is limited to 640x480. Just though you should be aware of this resolution restriction.

------------------

My name is Mass, and I'm a Home Theatre Addict

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am looking for a HDTV for my X-Box as well. Too bad everyone in here doent know **** about TV's http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I have put up 2-3 posts like yours in the last few weeks, only getting replies like, "Good luck..." LOL!

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Chef423, I have read all you post and people tried to help you but you are stuck on Dot pitch on the tubes. The suggestion that you have gotten are good enough to go out and look and find the TV that is right for you. I have recommend the RCA 38", but you want to know the Dot Pitch, NO BODY knows! If the TV can Display HD and it fits you house then I say go for it.

There are Too many good HD television out there now, you have to determine the right one and stop with the Dot Pitch!

You said you like the Samsung, stop waiting and go for it!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I spent this entire weekend auditioning a bunch of sets. DLP's, RPTV's (the Hitachi was great looking - much better than the Pioneer Elite reference systems at a fraction of the price), direct views and plasma's (probably looked at over 20 sets). I was originally turned off of plasma because the blacks were more like grays but I auditioned a properly configured Panasonic 50" and nothing else came near it in my opinion. Even my wife (who is one tough critic) was blown away. Even crappy NTSC up-converted looked great. Progressive DVD was astounding and HDTV was gorgeous - deep rich colors. It was so beautiful that we decided to go with that as our choice.

I can't wait to see XBOX on this puppy.

One special note - if I was on a tight budget, I would have gone with the Hitachi RPTV - the 42" was going for $1700 and the picture was stellar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.