Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get something with the following specs:

-70"-85" screen

-FALD

-UHDTV

-Under $10,000

-Capable of passing surround sound to a soundbar (which I assume means it needs to be a Sony, Vizio, or Toshiba, based on CNET's reporting here: http://m.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/57615451?ds=1 )

So the Vizio P series is an option, clearly... Anything else? I'd be willing to pay more for better PQ and 3D, but it seems like the usual heavy hitters either don't have FALD (Samsung) or only have FALD sets at non-mass-market prices (Sony with that one $25k flagship).

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest that you look at the Sony KDL70R550A, which Sony is selling now for $2299 online.

A friend of mine has one and it is superb.

I just bought the 60-inch version, and I love it.

That is a 2013 model, but I don't think there will be much change for 2014.

It has an optical 5.1 audio output, and a stereo analog audio output also.

With that kind of TV, I would think you would enjoy it better if you used at least an external amplifier or receiver with some good speakers, rather than the rather limited performance of a soundbar.

IF, by UHD, you mean 4K, there is very little happening there, IMO. Sony is about the only one that is really committed to producing any content in the near future.

As the cited article notes, almost all of the current Sony models have the two different audio outputs available.

The only difference between the 520 model they cited and the 550 is that the 550 has 3D capability; the 520 does not.

The VIzio TV s have had a lot of problems with the video and audio being out of sync.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522636/what-2014-models-should-i-consider#post_24485755

I suggest that you look at the Sony KDL70R550A, which Sony is selling now for $2299 online.

It has an optical audio output, and a stereo analog audio output also.

With that kind of TV, I would think you would enjoy it better if you used at least an external amplifier and speakers, rather than the rather limited sound of a soundbar.

IF, by UHD, you mean 4K, there is very little happening there, IMO. Sony is about the only one that is really committed to producing any content in the near future.
I believe the KDL is not UHD. The Sony XBR is though. Saw the 900A and 850A in HH Gregg and they appeared exceptional. I'd do research on those as well as Vizio P and the Toshiba Radiance not yet out.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman 

I have the KDL-60R550A, and while I technically "like" it, I cannot recommend it.  Far too many color issues for far too many of us.  And especially some oddities we've come to know as "the blobs".  But it's a 2013 TV anyway, and the OP has his sights set on 2014 as he should.

AND he specifically mentioned FALD.  The R550A is an edge-lit device.

Also: I would only buy a 4K TV at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522636/what-2014-models-should-i-consider/0_60#post_24485755

IF, by UHD, you mean 4K, there is very little happening there, IMO.

An enormous amount is happening with 4K currently, though most of it is in development stages.  4K content is coming, and in the meantime at least the Sony upscale algorithms that I've seen are superb.

BTW, technically the correct term for the TV resolution is in fact UHD, not 4K.  4K has become accepted (it's the term I use), but it already had an established meaning of 4096 across (and not 3840 which is UHD and what you'll find on TVs).

In a nutshell:
  • "UHD" has only one meaning: 3840x2160
  • "4K" has multiple meanings, most of the time though we now mean 3840x2160, but this ruffles some feathers in the professional video camera world.

·
Registered
14,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522636/what-2014-models-should-i-consider#post_24485755

It has an optical 5.1 audio output, and a stereo analog audio output also.

With that kind of TV, I would think you would enjoy it better if you used at least an external amplifier or receiver with some good speakers, rather than the rather limited performance of a soundbar.

As the cited article notes, almost all of the current Sony models have the two different audio outputs available.

The only difference between the 520 model they cited and the 550 is that the 550 has 3D capability; the 520 does not.

The VIzio TV s have had a lot of problems with the video and audio being out of sync.

That's the first I've heard on this issue with Vizio TVs - could you provide the source for this assertion? Many consider the Vizio P Series and 65" R Series (assuming to actually materializes) to be some of the most interesting new TVs to hit the market this year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone! Keep 'em coming.
Quote:

That model is edge lit and 1080p, so doesn't really fit what I'm looking for. (I have a W900A, and it is very nice, but I am all set for 1080p edge-lit models!)

Also the sound solutions I'm looking at are surround sound soundbars with rear satellites, to people horrified at the idea of a soundbar with a nice TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24  /t/1522636/what-2014-models-should-i-consider#post_24485792

I'd do research on those as well as Vizio P and the Toshiba Radiance not yet out.

Did some digging and as far as I can tell, Toshiba only has one UHD model over 65" this year, and it lacks FALD. Feel free to correct me, anyone.

Unfortunately, seems like no new suggestions here for 2014 UHD FALD sets 70" and over. :/

Only options if I want all those traits are the Vizio P and the top of the line $25k Sony, right? Nothing else I should consider?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm interested as well.. but my panel has to have 3D !

So is Visio (P) no longer an option?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much info on the 2014 UHD models yet, but so far the Samsung HU9000 and HU8550 seem to be great choices for 70"+ screens under $10000. I'm personally looking at the 65" HU9000.

The nice thing is that at 79" the curved screen of the 9000 might actually be useful (give an I-Max effect) beyond just looking cool.

·
Registered
14,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt  /t/1522636/what-2014-models-should-i-consider#post_24492235

Unfortunately there is not much info on the 2014 UHD models yet, but so far the Samsung HU9000 and HU8550 seem to be great choices for 70"+ screens under $10000. I'm personally looking at the 65" HU9000.

The nice thing is that at 79" the curved screen of the 9000 might actually be useful (give an I-Max effect) beyond just looking cool.

If you watch all by yourself, maybe...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm in the same boat.

The 2014 79" Sony looks interesting, although it is not FALD, if it looks good enough, I guess I don't really care. 79" UHD with passive 3D sounds like something I want.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've never had an issue with audio sync on a vizio. I have heard of others correcting their issues by changing out their HDMI cables.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Also the sound solutions I'm looking at are surround sound soundbars with rear satellites, to people horrified at the idea of a soundbar with a nice TV.

Did some digging and as far as I can tell, Toshiba only has one UHD model over 65" this year, and it lacks FALD. Feel free to correct me, anyone.

Sorry, I didn't realize the L9400U largest size was 65".

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
That's still a poor audio solution for a nice tv. IMO audio is just as or perhaps even more important than the TV itself. Just watched a movie last night with DTS-MA HD audio on a 7.1 system and it was amazing. Really made the movie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts