AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I KNOW this question has probably been asked and answered a lot but I just dont know the correct search queries to find my answer so I figured I make one last thread (hopefully...lol)

Im new to this 3D talk and formats.

Ive seen people talk about side by side, top and bottom and Im not sure what the other option where is looks like the images (without glasses) look a little blurry but you can still make out the picture is called.

Anyway, what formats do the Panasonic VT25 support? I have a VT25 and a Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player. The only disk I have tried was the 3D demo disk that came with the Blu Ray player and it was in the 3rd format I mentioned above. I have a Xbox 360 and just seen that Call of Duty Black Ops had a 3D option. When I turned it on I seen that the image was side by side. At the time I wasnt on my 3D TV so thought nothing of it. If I was to move my 360 over to my 3D TV, put on my glasses and turn on the 3D option. Will the picture be in 3D?

Ive seen people say that Panasonic only supports 1 style of 3D format but Im not sure if thats true or even what format they are talking about.

My friend said he has a PS3 and that he has been playing NBA 2k11 in 3D but again, Im not sure what format its in. Can you can the 3D output on the PS3 as to display in side by side, top and bottom or standard?

Thanks for any help. Im new to this and just want to make sure I fully understand everything before I start investing money in other things. Thanks.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
It supports:

1080x24 Frame Packed (3D BD)

720x60 Frame Packed (3D games - PS3)

1080i Frame Compatible Side-by-Side (3D from CBL, SAT etc)

720P Frame Compatible Top/Bottom (3D from CBL, SAT etc.)

Those are the major 3D formats in use. If I missed one, I am sure someone will add it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Im sorry for not understanding. LOL. So the Panasonic "will" support the side by side format? LOL.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, I suspect the lack of support you are referring to has to do with refrerences by Frank to checkerboard from 3D videos he has made using two paired Canon camcorders. Quite frankly (pun intended) I am a little confused myself since the original Panasonic 300 and 350 blu-ray 3D players would output checkerboard. I don't know about the cheaper ones that now are being offered in the bundles. Nor do I know if just because the 300 and 350 players could output checkerboard whether the Panasonic TVs themselves could display it conveniently without having to go through a bunch of manual adjustments and settings. If I recall correctly, Mitsubishi owners with 3D ready TV's circa 2008-9 with checkerboard were grabbing up the Panasonic 300 and 350 players as the only way to see 3D until Mitsubishi apparently offered an adapter themselves. Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge can clairify.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
All new 3DTVs support the same modes.

DLP based 3DTV's also support checkerboard mode.

Samsung 3DTVs support several additional 3D modes.

These additional modes aren't really required by most users.

I am not like "most users"

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19624893

All new 3DTVs support the same modes.

DLP based 3DTV's also support checkerboard mode.

Samsung 3DTVs support several additional 3D modes.

These additional modes aren't really required by most users.

I am not like "most users"

What exactly is checkerboard mode?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmino02 /forum/post/19628685

Sweet! Thanks for the link.

I heard that DLP is currently not Full HD 3D. So is this better than Full HD 3D or what? Sorry I'm not an expert on the topic.

Keep in mind that "FULL HD" only exists at 24 frames per second. Video at 24 frames per second requires significent gaussian blurred motion to make it watchable.

For that reason alone FULL HD 3D is overrated in my opinion.

I find checkerboard 3D to be superior in that it allows for mixing 2D and 3D content.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19628719

Keep in mind that "FULL HD" only exists at 24 frames per second. Video at 24 frames per second requires significent gaussian blurred motion to make it watchable.

For that reason alone FULL HD 3D is overrated in my opinion.

I find checkerboard 3D to be superior in that it allows for mixing 2D and 3D content.

Hmmm... I'll have to read up on that. I was not aware of that. From what I've seen from floor models, the 240Hz TV's had the best picture: although, those models were playing Under the Sea which I hear is one of the best 3D Blurays on the market. Next time I go to see the TV's I'm gonna ask them to play the Under the Sea demo on the DLP TV's to compare the depth and pop of the picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts