AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Onkyo 605 will take what ever video signal you give it and send it to the HDMI output.

I am looking for models that are current and forth coming.

Remember this is receivers that will cost below the $500.00 level.

Thanks!

EDIT FOR SPELLING.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Harman Kardon AVR 247. Not only will it convert composite, component, and S-Video to HDMI, it will de-interlace/scale to either 480p or 720p. I got mine for $475 at Best Buy. There's one on ebay right now for $400.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhusker /forum/post/0

Harman Kardon AVR 247. Not only will it convert composite, component, and S-Video to HDMI, it will de-interlace/scale to either 480p or 720p. I got mine for $475 at Best Buy. There's one on ebay right now for $400.

HK is a receiver I like, but is it better than the Onkyo 605? I dont think the Onkyo de-inerlaces does it?

Was there a thread that compared the 247 to a Onkyo receiver? I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
H/K has resolved the issue. I had this receiver for about 3 weeks. Wonderful. Much better sound quality than Onkyo. However, I ended up returning it because I have a 1080p tv and the scaler only scales 480i/p to 720p and there is no way to turn it off. I got a double scaling issue and that distorted the image. However, if your TV is a native 720p pixel tv, then this receiver is the best.

I loved the sound so much, that I returned the 247 and got the 645 from amazon for $694 free shipping. This receiver does not do any scaling but does convert from other formats to HDMI at the same resolution.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Megalith, I use only a PS3 and it does MPCM great for both Bluray DVDs and SACDs. I have tested them personally. However, I have heard reports that it does not work well for HD-DVD players. Weird. I can't test because I don't have one and don't foresee getting one. Another drawback of the 645 is it will not pass through 1080p. Only upto 1080i. It did not matter to me because my JVC 61" RPTV that I bought 6 months ago only does 1080i through HDMI even though the native resolution is 1080p. Everything is working great right now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.