1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a personal demo of the higly saught after marantz 12S1, in

st. louis at Sound Central. I saw HDNET 1080i fed to it on a 100" 16x9,

the picture was velvety smooth, and very rich. I then brought some of

my dvd's from home to view shrek, north by northwest, the fifth element.

Granted it was not as good as the 1080i signal but i was very pleased

with the presentation. The dealer was running dvd thru the s-video

input, so i couldn't see component with dvd, i could only hope it would

look even better. I did notice that the menu for image adjust was not

accessible, i wanted the signal to be a little brighter than it was, but

could not seem to get it to function, anyone know why? The only down

side of it was it seemed a little dim, the bulb probably had 400 or 500

hours on it, and the pj was about 11 feet from the 2.0 gain screen. Other

than that the 3 processing chips were doing their job very nicely.

·
Registered
916 Posts
mer8,

Check out Dan Miller at the Special Guest section of the forum. He's answering any and all questions about the 12S1. Now that you've seen the demo, you'll be glad to know that they have nailed the issues on all current units coming off the assembly line. Make sure you get a "fresh" one if/when you decide to order it.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wait... I looked through the special guest forum. Where did Dan say that they have fixed all the flicker/bulb problems?

Thx.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Amrud,

This is an excerpt of what Dan Miller wrote on his post.

So direct answers...?

1. Problem has been identified by Marantz Japan? Yes. They have put much tighter restrictions on the bulb manufacturer, so from what we've been told, the problem should fade away (pun TOTALLY intended).

2. Bulb manufacturer not on the Christmas list? Well, it's dangerous to burn bridges, you know?

3. Hard to answer this one. Like I said before, if you have an issue with your projector that you would consider a functional defect, see your dealer. We will resolve your problem.

I will add this as well, Dan Miller has stated in the past that if you have any questions, you could PM him directly. I did this and was able to speak to him on the phone. I found that not only is he a great guy to talk to, but he's very, very knowledgeable as well. If you have a question you'd like answered on a more personal level, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the PM.

Good luck to you!

Victor

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Victor,

So, what are you going to do? Buy a new bulb? or just wait till your 2000 hours are up and get a new bulb then? I ask this because I know you got your projector from the same place I did and we aren't covered by Marantz of America.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mike,

From the looks of things, I'm going to wait until Marantz service centers are in place in the States and cranking full tilt. Then, I'll walk mine in and get the bulb and the firmware update at the same time and pay full price for it. This is the only solution that will allow me to sleep at night.

By the way, what's going on with yours? Is it back yet?

Victor

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
From the looks of things, I'm going to wait until Marantz service centers are in place in the States and cranking full tilt. Then, I'll walk mine in and get the bulb and the firmware update at the same time and pay full price for it. This is the only solution that will allow me to sleep at night.
Ok, That makes sense.

Quote:
By the way, what's going on with yours? Is it back yet?
Supposedly Marantz has it right now. I hope it won't be long. They did update the software on mine as that is what Kwon emailed me stating what repair report said this last time. Have you heard what the software update covers? I probably won't get a new bulb until mine is used up as I didn't have much of a flicker. After all of the movement mine has gone through it might need a new bulb by the time it gets back to me though.

Mike

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mike said:

"They did update the software on mine as that is what Kwon emailed me stating what repair report said this last time. Have you heard what the software update covers?"

According to Dan Miller, the only thing the firmware upgrade does is fix sync problems for those using HTPC

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
According to Dan Miller, the only thing the firmware upgrade does is fix sync problems for those using HTPC
Thanks Cinergi

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.