AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this receiver because the overair DTV upgrade killed my DTC100. This unit is soooo overpriced and useless that I cannot believe its still sold. The more I use this receiver the more I cannot stand it. The picture in HD looks better than it did with my old DTC-100 though. That may be attributed to the fact that I have a Toshiba TV and in order to use the DTC with it I have to use the convertor to component inputs. The receiver is extremely slow on channel changes. Almost 4 times longer than the so called out dated DTC. Their is no display banner that both my former RCA and Hughes units had when you changed channels. That at least shows you what show you just turned on while waiting for the channel to be displayed. The RCA also had simple menu icons located within the display bar for easy access with out having to go through all the menu BS. The other thing that I really find annoying is the guide on the Sony. On the Hughes and RCA units you can go through the guide without changing channels. Is that not the purpose of the guide to surf without surfing. Well when you go to the guide with the Sony and say see what's on at 8 P.M. on channel 230 it actually turns to that channel in the little preview window in the corner of the screen. If you hit exit and not enter it goes to the channel you were on in the guide which sucks!!!! This is the most overpriced POS that I have yet to encounter. I will take the user friendly not rushed design of the outdated, first generation DTC-100 over this so called technical marvel Sony. Its the little things that make or break a product and that's the case with this Sony. To many little problems that make the nice design undesirable.


I almost forgot. Even though the new Sony with the new chipset has all channels(OTA, Cable, Sat) located within within 1 antennae sort of speak, its does not receive both analog and digital OTA if you also feed Cable into it. The RCA you need to switch between antennae A(Cable), antennae B(OTA both analog and Digital), and Sat. It may not be as friendly cause you have to select the ant, but the RCA ant menu located within the channel display makes it a snap. The RCA actually can detect more signals for less monies, like 300 bucks less!!!!!


Tooo bad that RCA will never get my business again because of poor business ethics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
like to sell one or both units ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07:
like to sell one or both units ?


The RCA is dead and the Sony is going back to the store. I might pick up another Rca though as it worked well, but I am still leary of their products. Maybe I will wait for the Zenith.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
What is the problem with the RCA DTC100?


I am looking to get an HD receiver. I want to get the Panasonic TUHDS20, but the installer I'm talking to is trying to sell me the RCA because it is cheaper.


------------------

Yes sir, I'd like to increase my credit limit!?

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE SEEING HDTV, BAN HDCP, DVI, 5C!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ilkevinli:
Get the Toshiba DST-3000, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, or the HUghes (They are all the same). They work great.


The Units you mentioned will not allow me to have all sources ran from 1 box. Those units only allow Sat and Digital OTA unlike the RCA that does Sat, cable, and OTA both Digital and Analog. I feel it would be a step backwards to lose that ability. The Sony offers all the above, but it does not offer OTA analog if you connect cable into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 1CAMP:
I have a Tosh 65H80 set, with the 3000 receiver, and I couldn't be happier. Everything works flawlessly.
I'm sure its a great set-up, but please see my post above this one. I hate having to switch TV sources just to watch a different source(I.E. cable, OTA analog, OTA Digital, Sat).

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HTbuph:
What is the problem with the RCA DTC100?


I am looking to get an HD receiver. I want to get the Panasonic TUHDS20, but the installer I'm talking to is trying to sell me the RCA because it is cheaper.



The only problem I had with the DTC-100 is that the update that is a combined effort between DirecTV and RCA that is sent from the Satellite did not execute properly on my unit and fried it. Neither DTV nor RCA will take resposability for it and now I'm out a $500.00 unit because of this crap. Beyond that I was happy. It doesnt give as nice of a picture as the Sony, but its not far off and its by far more user friendly and faster than the Sony for 300 bucks less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lisnup65:
I'm sure its a great set-up, but please see my post above this one. I hate having to switch TV sources just to watch a different source(I.E. cable, OTA analog, OTA Digital, Sat).

That is not true, by diplexing in cable with sat you get all three(obviously, non-digital, non-protected, basic cable only, at least with the MIts). All are in the guide and can be freely selected. My cable info is Not in the guide other than "regular programming", at least here in Wisc.. So the Hughes boxes do all of these concerns. My primary displeasure is the inability to manually add OTA channels to the guide, and the neccessityu of tweaking the lists and adding some cable channels that did not scan in.


Bill



------------------

Cranial Nerve II With control by III, IV, and VI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
"Is that not the purpose of the guide to surf"



You have to set up the surf option in the preferences. But it only works with the Index not the guide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Schmeling:
That is not true, by diplexing in cable with sat you get all three(obviously, non-digital, non-protected, basic cable only, at least with the MIts). All are in the guide and can be freely selected. My cable info is Not in the guide other than "regular programming", at least here in Wisc.. So the Hughes boxes do all of these concerns. My primary displeasure is the inability to manually add OTA channels to the guide, and the neccessityu of tweaking the lists and adding some cable channels that did not scan in.


Bill


Actually this is not true!!! You can Diplex the signal all you want from the roof into your home, but that signal then must undiplexed to be usable. The Hughes boxes can feed both cable and antennae, but not if you hook up to DTV. The box only has 2 RF inputs(Ant, and Sat in/ant). The second is selectable in the menu and again thats only if you are not using DirecTV. If you are saying that you are Diplexing the OTA ant and cable into 1 line then maybe I could see having all 3 sources, but I would not have tried to diplex through the cable line.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Beer-20:
"Is that not the purpose of the guide to surf"



You have to set up the surf option in the preferences. But it only works with the Index not the guide.
I understand the index portion of the Sony and yes you can surf, but not like the guide. The guide shows you channel#, time, and name of the program. The index on gives you boxes with station numbers and you have to go to a box and wait to see whats on that channel when the discrption finally loads. Its actually just as fast to flip the channels directly. It is not a smooth interface like the Hughes and Rca boxes. That was my first and last Sony receiver. I guess that is the typical Sony setup and being from the other camp for years, I feel its a user friendly step back wards and was not impressed. Those who have only used Sony will have no idea what I am talking about because it is all they know.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Gee, I have to respectfully disagree with almost everything you state about the HD100. I also had the RCA DTC100, and I find the Sony unit much better. At first, I liked the RCA menus better also, but now, after a couple of months with the Sony, I MUCH prefer the Sony menu system. A lot of it has to do with what you're used to--once I got used to the Sony menu, I really liked it. The Index feature is not available with the RCA, and that's the menu feature I like the best. Also, the Sony will pass 480i component or 1080i component without switching outputs--very convenient. It also has component connections--RCA needs a special converter. As far as channel changing, maybe you got a bad unit. To me, the speed of the Sony is slightly faster than the RCA. My main gripe with the Sony is the slowness in updating the menu--in that area, the RCA was a bit faster. The Sony unit does have a few warts, but to call it an overpriced POS is a bit strong. I hope anyone who is considering the HD100 will take your comments with a block of salt. There are many very satisfied users of this unit--and having used both the RCA and the Sony, I'd take the Sony any day. There is no perfect STB out there--they all have something that could be improved.


mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flooper:
There are many very satisfied users of this unit--and having used both the RCA and the Sony, I'd take the Sony any day.
Sadly I'm not one of them. I bought this expensive Sony unit, my first high end Sony purchase, and am not impressed, not least in respect to continued random dropouts, letalone the fan noise and extremely slow guide download. I also have the DTC100, and find it the better unit. I also think the Sony exhibits picture movement artifacts.

Quote:


There is no perfect STB out there--they all have something that could be improved.
I'm in total agreement.


------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Hidefguy,

Yeah, the channel guide update can be painfully slow. I'm hoping there will be an update to speed it up sometime in the near future. I haven't had any dropout problems (every once in a great while), and haven't noticed any picture movement artifacts. My unit's fan is not very loud, but many others have complained about the fan noise...so I know it is an issue with some units. I'm not trying to say this is the world's greatest STB, but I do think calling it an "expensive POS" is unfairly harsh. It does have its strengths--IMO, the HD picture quality is stunning (especially HDNET baseball), and if you have a Sony TV, it's a very good match. In my neck of the woods, it's also priced exactly the same as the Tosh, Mits, Panny & Hughes units--all around $799. It's like any HT equipment--you have to try it for yourself rather than just go on other people's opinions.


mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
I very much do respect your opinion. That's what this forum is for--to express opinions and pass along information. And I definitely agree that, at current prices, the DTC100 is a much better value than the HD100. I still think the HD100 is a decent product, and worthy of consideration for people getting ready to buy an HD STB. But you're right--I'd have a very hard time recommending an HD100 costing $800 over a DTC 100 for $225. If they were about the same price (like they were when I bought mine --DTC100 for 599 plus $150 for converter)--then it's a toss-up.


mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Back to the subject of multiple sources on the Hughes box: You can hook up cable, satellite and antenna at the same time. There is a built in diplexer on the satellite input that can be set to handle either a cable or antenna source. Check the owner's manual. I work at a store and was frustrated with the unit until I figured it out.


I think one of the big weaknesses of the Sony is the NTSC tuner. It has a lot of dot crawl---poor comb filter I imagine. It is more sensitive with weak signals than the Hughes box, however, and is very versatile in terms of output options.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Flooper:
Gee, I have to respectfully disagree with almost everything you state about the HD100. I also had the RCA DTC100, and I find the Sony unit much better. At first, I liked the RCA menus better also, but now, after a couple of months with the Sony, I MUCH prefer the Sony menu system. A lot of it has to do with what you're used to--once I got used to the Sony menu, I really liked it. The Index feature is not available with the RCA, and that's the menu feature I like the best. Also, the Sony will pass 480i component or 1080i component without switching outputs--very convenient. It also has component connections--RCA needs a special converter. As far as channel changing, maybe you got a bad unit. To me, the speed of the Sony is slightly faster than the RCA. My main gripe with the Sony is the slowness in updating the menu--in that area, the RCA was a bit faster. The Sony unit does have a few warts, but to call it an overpriced POS is a bit strong. I hope anyone who is considering the HD100 will take your comments with a block of salt. There are many very satisfied users of this unit--and having used both the RCA and the Sony, I'd take the Sony any day. There is no perfect STB out there--they all have something that could be improved.


mike
I respect your opinion as I hope you respect mine. I was just totally at awe when I got the Sony hooked up. I could not belive that this High End unit was in all practicality no better than the 2 year old DTC-100. Yes it has component outs, but beyond that and the nice display on the unit its really does nothing better. I have to agree that the HD picture looked a bit better, but I am subjective because I have to use the convertor to run the unit into my Tosh. Anything extra in the signal path will cause degraded signal. Some do prefer the Sony menu system and others as myself find its very lackluster. Those who have owned Sony units will never know of this unless they actually have 1 of each. The Fan is noisy and its on 24/7/365 which is just poor design, or a rushed design. When I returned the unit I tried the stores display model as they stated that maybe I had a bad unit. It was no better as far as channel changing goes. It was better however in the fact that it did not freeze up like the unit I had when you hit the channel up or down button on the remote multiple times fast. My unit froze 3 times in 24 hours. I had to unplug it to get it to respond again. It actually froze with the channel displayed in the upper right corner. Maybe the term overpriced POS is harsh, but none the less it is far overpriced for no performance gains. I just picked up a replacement DTC-100 that was an open box item with 12 hours on it for $225.00. Now when I compare the $800.00 Sony to the $225 RCA their is no comparison unless you are a brand hunter and are willing to drop an extra $575 for it. I've spent a lot of time since Saturday night looking for reviews of all units in questions and I have yet to see a single combined review poll favor the Sony. Consumer Reports just rated the DTC-100 a best buy and stated that none of the competing units offered enough advantage over the RCA. I am happy that you are happy with the Sony, but my Opinion is just that, my opinion and please take it with a grain of salt. I only offer an honest opinion. I really don't care much for the DTC-100 and I was excited when the opportunity came up to go to a better piece of equipment. It just happens that the Sony is not it!!

 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top