AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the review of JVC DLA-HX1U in the Jan. issue of Widescreen Review, wow what a great review! I'm sure most of you read this review already and some may own this projector, is this projector that good? I never can find one to look at at CES. I don't remember ever reading a projector review that made me want to go out and buy the product, until now. The author Bill Cushman was very detailed in his evaluation. It appears from the review that just about every aspect of this projector is excellent despite a contrast ratio that is "only" very good on all but the darkest scenes and merely "adequate on those"! About the only thing needed was calibration to D65 to "deliver a smooth, colorful, beautiful image with stunning detail and virtually no artifacts"! Wow is this to good to be true? He didn't use external lens or filters to achieve the great image!

At CES I felt the 3 chip DLP projectors stole the show. The Marantz was absolutely beautiful but to high priced and the Dwin looked wonderful also.

I for one can't handle the distraction of 1 chip rainbow artifacts so I must look to LCD or LCOS projectors for reasonably priced projectors. Love the 3 chip DLPs but way out of my budget.

I will be seeing a Sony HS20 today at a dealer in my area but after being blown away by this JVC review I wonder, can this JVC be that good?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Many people have never seen a D-ILA/ LCOS when they do they usually go WOW! I wonder if Bill has seen a calibrated D-ILA before. I'll read his review.

·
Registered
34 Posts
tryg,

our permently installed screen and price/performance will dictate our FP choice.

we have a 100" grayhawk (49x87). our 21x15 room is light controlled, with dark chocolate brown walls and mid-taupe 9' ceiling. we sit 13.5' from screen.

questions:

1. would the JVC DLA-HX1U be a great match for our grayhawk?

2. how would it's price:performance compare to the Sony HS20 and/or ProjectionDesign Action One?

3. what would you do?

4. does the hx1u need calibration... would it be best to have it done in our room or send it off to an expert like William Phelps?

many thanks

michael

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I am a good friend of Mr. Cushman and I too saw the HX1.

Just about its only minor drawback is its less than perfect contrast ratio. Other than that it is fantastic.

After some mild calibration on Cushman's part, the unit had perfect colorimetry, excellent uniformity, excellent resolution, excellent gray scale tracking, good brightness and good ANSI-type contrast (especially for a D-ila)

Like I mentioned the blacks or on/off contrast ratio could have been better but was acceptable, the unit is quiet but not dead silent like some of the newer units, and last the component input when fed HD doesn't have good analog filtering.

On an absolute grade scale where a 1920 X 1080 3-chip DLP with 4000:1+ on/off were an A+, I would give the HX1 an A- which is also what I would give most of the current HD2+ projectors.

If you really like excellent colors and the extra 20% resolution over 720p, then HX1 is an excellent and probably best choice for you. If you like contrast, then you'll probably find an HD2+ slightly better overall. A bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but that is my best quick estimate.

The projector does a trick with yellows that I find very impressive and visually stunning with no apparent drawbacks. I don't want to give too much away. Subscription is cheap and you can do it on-line. It really is a good read.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. Now if you can only get a demo.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
WoodwardN,

1. Only if you can get 20 foot lamberts or more

2. Depends what you want. HS20 is the price champion for performance

3. HS20 till 1920 x 1080 LCOS is affordable

4. If I purchase the HX1 I'd use at home for 100 hours then calibrate IF I felt it needed it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On an absolute grade scale where a 1920 X 1080 3-chip DLP with 4000:1+ on/off were an A+, I would give the HX1 an A- which is also what I would give most of the current HD2+ projectors.

Mr. Wiggles,

I just returned from a demo of the Sony HS20. I was very impressed that a $3500 LCD projector could look that good playing a DVD! I'm sure HD would look even better! The Sony was in a dark room projecting on a 7ft StudioTec 130, it had no SDE at normal viewing distance and a very colorful clear image. The image was bright and shadow detail seemed very good. Although blacks were not the inky blacks of DLP they nevertheless looked black in context with the rest of the image providing a very satisfying image. After seeing this Sony I have concluded that given a choice between super high contrast with real deep blacks or a brighter and more colorful image I would choose the latter.

Where on your absolute grade scale would you place this Sony HS20?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Brad,

I have viewed extensively the 10HT - 12HT but not the HS20. I only saw it once on display awhile back (don't remember where) but the lighting was poor so I didn't even really take a good look.

Sorry,

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hmmm

I have not seen the HX1 PJ. I live with a William Phelps calibrated SX21 and an anamorphic lens - essentially the same PJ with about 40% higher resolution.

Everyone who visits is just speechless over this setup. (thanks Tryg for the Hipower recommendation)

I usually play them a decent DVD and listen to them wax lyrical.

Then I put on DVHS and they fall over :)

One guy off this forum (nameless) came over and could not believe how much "better" this was than his InFocus 5700.

The tragedy here is JVC's inability to market these PJ's.

If more people actually saw them.

Oh well

Rob

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess I am lucky I saw the sx21 at tcutters home on thur and last fri had a demo at mfg rep of the hx1. About the same size screen but tom had the vutec silverstar and the rep had a white draper 1.0. so of course tom's was much brighter. both were very film like and good color. contrast and deep blacks were missing. I still have not seen the 12k and the marantz s3. If you were buying now would you still buy the sx21 with panamorph or the hx1 which has the dvi?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
FYI, if anyone is counting, the SX21 is 33% more resolution than the HX1, but I'm not sure I would go that route.

A JVC spokeperson told me that there are additional optical improvements in the HX1 over the SX21 and I believe him. The most noteable is ANSI-type (i.e. instaneous or checkerboard) contrast or visually speaking the "plasma look". To my eyes it is better on the HX1 by a fair amount.

I know that the new Panamorphs are better but I don't know if I want the additional loss in contrast.

I have seen the SX21 with a custom Panamorph, and I would say the ANSI is O.K., but the HX1 is "good" and thus unusual for D-ilas. To me, weighing everything it is worth the loss in resolution to avoid ANSI contrast loss, mild geometry distortion, mild chromatic aberation and lack of HDCP.

Without consideration of price, I would take an HX1 over an SX21 with Panamorph. Not in a landslide but a none-the-less rather easy decision for me.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Widescreen (Greg Rogers) also gave a positive review on the G-150CL, which I'm personally familiar with. Does the current review provide any feedback as to performance differences between the HX-1 and the 150? Any thoughts Wigggles?

p.s. Obviously I'm aware of the aspect ratio difference between the two.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"

A JVC spokeperson told me that there are additional optical improvements in the HX1 over the SX21 and I believe him. The most noteable is ANSI-type (i.e. instaneous or checkerboard) contrast or visually speaking the "plasma look". To my eyes it is better on the HX1 by a fair amount."

I tried to explain a couple weeks back to people that the HX1 does not equal SX21 + Panamorph despite the latter's higher resolution. I was mocked and disbelieved.

Glad to see someone else agrees.

Mark

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

I tried to explain a couple weeks back to people that the HX1 does not equal SX21 + Panamorph despite the latter's higher resolution. I was mocked and disbelieved.

Mark
Mark,

What specific differences, other than the aspect ratio, do you think there are between the SX21 and the HX1?

William

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Michael

JVC recommends going with the Greyhawk although I would probably go with the firehawk

My guess would be that the HX-1 does need calibrating as most of the SX-21 I have seen have benefited from it. I cant see JVC doing a better job with the HX than the SX

I dont know if I agree with Tryg about getting the HS-20 over one of the Dila models. While I would agree that the Sony is a great bank for the buck projecotors, I would still give the benefit to the Dila. Plus unless you are ready to fork out 20K, the 1080p Dilas will be expensive. So you may have to keep the HS-20 longer than you may think.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki

My guess would be that the HX-1 does need calibrating as most of the SX-21 I have seen have benefited from it. I cant see JVC doing a better job with the HX than the SX
Daniel,

I have an HX-1 here now for calibration, and can confirm that it comes from JVC calibrated very much like the SX-21 (cyan whites).

William

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Why am I not surprised by this? How long has JVC been claiming "home theater calibration" for their projectors? William, do let us know how this projector performs once it has been properly "corrected".

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tell us more William! What do you think of the blacks?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm also considering an HX1 for a new theater and would love to hear a little more feedback from William after completing the calibration. I might have to get in line to send mine in as well when I get it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Bl__dy Hell:

Daniel,

I have an HX-1 here now for calibration, and can confirm that it comes from JVC calibrated very much like the SX-21 (cyan whites).

William

It's not as if equipment in this price range is fed off the production line like "Big Macs"

If the manufacturers cannot spend a little extra time to get their product looking as good as possible, they don't deserve backing!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.