AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is shot of the AVIA WS frequency response test. Notice the evenness in the brightness of the 4 outer circles, and the minimal ringing (that I & others believe is inherent in AVIA). Because of the poor resolution of the JPEG picture (& wanting to keep the size down) you may not see the lines in the 6.75MHz circle, but they are there :D
http://jmikef.com/images/ws_freq.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of the box, Mits (and all other HD RPTVs) have ringing/EE that can not be dialed out via the user controls without seriously affecting frequency response. And there is a service meun lockout that prevented us tweakers from getting at the controls that were available in the 1st gen models.

So, a bunch of chip programmers that own Mits formed the I2C Group, and came up with an incredible solution that directly programs the main chip via a cable interface and Kwik-Fix (here is a screen shot):
http://jmikef.com/images/kf_edges.JPG

As you can see from the above screen shot, Kwik-Fix allows incredible contol over the Mits. You can dial in an incredible picture free of red push, white crush, and ringing.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i about fell over dead when i saw that! that is the ultimate tweak!! i really want my hdtv color decoder fixed! but i live in utah and there isn't anyone with the I2c computer upload of the service menu.....thanks for that post!

could you take more screen shots of the other tabs?

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
My experience with my 65907 have been incredible after tweaking. I do not care what anyone says about the Pioneer Elite being better than the Mits Diamond. We have done testing side by side of a Elite and Diamond, both tweaked and it was agreed by all that the Mits had the edge. Sure the Elite has a better line doubler but I do not watch sd so that is not an issue. The hd picture on the tweaked Mits Diamond is hands down the best. I know some of you may say different, but this was not just my opinion, this was a group opinion including owners of Elites. The testing was done at a local store after hours by a group of hdtv owners, a few service techs and a couple of salesmen who provided us access to the store and multiple sets of the Elites, Diamonds, Theaterwides and XBR's. Tosh was almost even with the Elites and the XBR's just behind the Tosh's.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kipp,

Now, no one can argue your point. :D

There is no way to contol the excessive EE & white crush on the Pioneer Elites.

A couple of other points in favor of the Mits: the 65" models come in two pieces, and the price is typically lower than the competition.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
J.Mike Ferrara,

Is this the software that CraigM uses when he calibrates a Mitsubishi RPTV? Will this software also work on a 65908? I would really like to try some of the tweeks listed over at the SPot, but frankly I'm too chicken to attempt it. My fears of screwing something up outweigh my desire for a better picture. I'll just have to wait till CraigM can make it to my place in March to ISF my set.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i have just completed after about a year of hard work to finish the tweaks listed on the the *************** forum. i am well pleased. i was scared to enter the service menus at first, but i learned how they work and what they do and the things not to do and i'm pretty comfortable now. the most time consuming was duvetyne. electro. focus was probably the scariest knowing that the 3 knobs above the ones i was adjusting could really screw up my set if i touched them. other than that i always wrote down the factory defaults in the service menus just in case i needed to go back to them. i'm jealous that you will be getting it isf'd using the I2C method! Good luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mits were to improve line doubler on par with Sony's or Toshiba's this would be a clear winner for those who watch NTSC+HD..

Thanks to creative'n dedicated Mits fans-they have made Mits more tweakable than ever :)

Great job folks!

Mits are you listening?

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Mike,

I just wanted to say thanks to you for doing this thread. I have been through two other RPTV's, a Toshiba 50H81 and a Pioneer 533 and both had issues/problems, the worst being the Toshiba with ghosting, ghost lines and graininess.

I never initially even considered Mits because of all the bad things people say about them. Then I saw your post and what some ISF's have said at the spot. That convinced me to give Mits a try. Boy were all those other people off base. I just received a 55809 and a Zenith 1080 box and while I was prepared to spend all weekend tweaking it just to get a decent picture (based on what I had always heard about Mits) I was shocked when I turned it on. The vibrancy of this set is remarkable. My wife even thought so! I added a couple of attenuators and could not be happier. And I haven't even really tweaked it yet! This set untweaked beats the fully tweaked Toshiba and the Pioneer hands down. To say the least, I am stunned.

Thanks again.

Brian

·
Registered
417 Posts
is there a webpage with all these tweaks listed? I'd hate to spend days digging through the spot to find gems buried in 3 page threads.

i'm curious if anyone has done direct comparisons with the sony 57XBR2, which is my other choice. the sony already has firewire and an incredible picture from all reports, but no dealer sells both Sony and Mits -- it's like a holy war!

The mits is much cheaper, though. I don't mind tweaking _that_ much, but shouldn't it be that good out of the box for the dough i'm shelling out? Just a thought...

Thanks

--Mike

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Go with the Mits. You can't go wrong with the upgrade promise. Also, if you want firewire, get the integrated Mits. They are now available.

·
Registered
192 Posts
J. Mike,

Could you post a screenshot of the resolution pattern in 4:3 narrow mode from your hot-rodded Nits?

The 4:3 performance is important to me, and the 65806 (or whatever) I had last year really sucked in that respect, looking as though it was discarding around 25% horizontal resolution.

Thanks,

Mike E.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
So, a bunch of chip programmers that own Mits formed the I2C Group, and came up with an incredible solution that directly programs the main chip via a cable interface and Kwik-Fix
So, does anyone from this group do calibrations? How do we go about finding someone in our area to perform this tweaking?

Anybody else interested in having their Mits "tweaked to the 9s"?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is the cable interface and software available to the public? If so, where can they be found? Also, will this work with my 46809? How difficult is this to do for a novice? I really don't feel like spending the money to have someone ISF my set, and I think if I spent the time to research this stuff, I would be able to tweak my set to look nearly as good.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Guys,

Mits owners (as well as others) can benefit from the tweaks and tips they find at The Spot . Again, there is a lot of information (and comments) from other users of other brands such as Toshiba, Sony, and Panasonic (tv and dvd). I view the Spot as a great supplement to these forums here at AVS.

Regarding the Red Push discussion I suggest one visit the Spot's forums on: Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi Tweaks, ISF Chat and Questions for an ISF (last two are way down the list). There one can find posts concerning, and by, several calibrators from various parts of the country that do Mits (and have the I2C fix). Some come very highly and tour as well to such strange places as South Carolina . There is a post today from a member there who makes and sells the I2C cable (the software is freeware). Worth checking into perhaps.

I believe in The R&D Spot forum you can find information on the yahoo group for I2C; its link, and where you can download the software as well.

Bruce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.