AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All: I'm considering getting a new 32" Runco LCD with a Vivix processor, mainly because I want optimal rendering of the various, sometimes sub-par media that I'll be confronting for the next few years at least (I mean SD broadcasts and regular DVDs).

Am I right to suppose that the Runco's video processor will make the most of SD broadcasts as well as DVD?

I ask because I could buy an upconverting DVD player for any TV, but I don't see how to upconvert SD broadcasting. Thanks for any tips. I really don't know how to think about this.

David

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The TV must upconvert the SD video broadcasts with its own processor, otherwise the picture would occupy only a roughly 700 pixel wide by approx. 480 pixel high space within the screen. The TV's processor will treat analog broadcasts with the same care as digital interlaced SD broadcasts of which there will always be some, and VCR tape playback and interlaced DVD player output.

Optionally you can buy a SD de-interlacer with scaler (examples: iScan HD or old Lumagen Vision) that will do all the conversions external to the TV, bypassing the TV's internal processing. You might prefer not to buy this until after you feel the TV's processing needs improvement to suit your tastes.

If you use an external processor for broadcasts, you can no longer use the TV's built in channel selector but would have to rely on a VCR or a cable box or HDTV set top box.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.