AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for some recommendations on which Brand/Model A/V Reciever to use with a HTPC.. Im open to suggestions..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DM,

Im not looking to go too high end more or less midrange.. I trying to figure out if it would be better to just hook the HTPC directly to the Projector and to run the audio directly from the HTPC to the speakers.. What would be the advantage of going through a reciever then going direct..

Has anyone used a high quality pc surround sound system instead for their Home Theater audio needs? To me that would be a true HTPC then because it would be the control of the theater...

·
Registered
157 Posts
The projector is only half the experience of HT. Some people would argue that percentage even higher. I am not an expert but I am pretty sure on a few things.

- For HT using the speakers on the PJ would be a crime.

- 5(6,7).1 sound is the only way to go. Even just with a normal tv watching movies is way better with 5.1 sound.

- Depending on the size of your room, speakers connected straight from your pc probably won't have the volume you want, although there are good externally amplified pc speakers.

Like I said, I am no expert, but I love watching stuff with my receiver with or without the PJ. I have an Onkyo 595 which has worked just fine for the room that I am in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
PS.

My new HTPC is going to be based off an nForce2 motherboard which has DD 5.1 encoding. That allows all sound from the PC to be played through the spdif connection to the receiver.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nathan,

I am just trying to view my approach from all angles in setting up the ultimate PC controled theater.. Theres no good surround sound cards & speaker systems for pc's that would compare to that of conventional audio setups?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The room my theater is in is; 10'W x 12'L

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, interesting concept. Frankly, I've never heard of anyone trying to run HT speakers directly from an HTPC. I suspect most audiophiles would argue that PC audio hasn't evolved to the point where it'll match the sound quality and volume of a good pre-amp & amp or all-in-one receiver.

At the very least I'd suspect power would be a problem, both incoming power supply and output (volume). I route my PC audio through an Integra DTR 8.3 receiver, mainly because it's one of the few receivers I could find that pumps 145 watts to all 7 channels. Are there direct PC-to-speaker setups that'll generate that kind of output? One might be perfectly happy with far less, say 75 watts to 5 channels, but I haven't even heard of a PC speaker package that will do that.

Surround signal decoding might be an issue too. I believe there are many high-end PC audio components that will decode DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, but I haven't yet run across one that supports THX Surround EX, or DTS ES (either matrix or discrete). If you find one, by all means let us know.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definately let you know, thats what im trying to pick everyones brains for :) That was another thing I was concerned about was the surround sound decoding... Im sure where there is a will there is a WAY!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doing a simple search I found a 5.1 Speaker system claims to be 500watts..

5.1 audio system maximizes audio signals from new 5.1 computer soundcards for ultradynamic multimedia surround-sound; Frequency response = 25Hz-20kHz; Maximum Acoustic Output = 113dB SPL

Im sure there has to be a higher rated system out there for pc's...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm about to build a htpc. My plan is to use the pc for both video and audio decoding(preamp). I've set my sights to the m-audio reveloution sound card. This will feed(hopefully) a set of power amps, vincent 996. I'm also going to use this as my cdplayer, feeding an external dac through spdif. This will compete with quite expensive cdplayers. The surround part will be quite good to I hope. And more versatile than most recievers. Adjustable crossover frequencies and bass management for each speaker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I stand corrected. The M-Audio Revolution PCI 24/192 card does support up to 7.1 channel surround sound (e.g. DD EX). And at $99, it's a damn site cheaper than a good HT receiver or even a stand-alone pre-amp/DSP. Although after purchasing the separate amplifiers, it may be a wash in terms of total cost.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One thing to think about is if you have any lip sync problems.

If you do then you might want to make sure you get a receiver with all channel delay, minimum of 100 ms.

I have this problem and no delay on my receiver and sometimes it is REALLY annoying.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm it might be a wash, yes and no I guess depending upon which amps were bought.... Still plenty more research to do on this topic :) I appreciate your info that you have provided so far!

Frank-

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Qyv10
One thing to think about is if you have any lip sync problems.

If you do then you might want to make sure you get a receiver with all channel delay, minimum of 100 ms.

I have this problem and no delay on my receiver and sometimes it is REALLY annoying.

Something to think about.
Qyv10 - Something I didnt even think about, you have this problem when using your HTPC?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So many possibilites on how to setup a theater, why does it have to be so difficult :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have this problem because I use my HTPC as my deinterlacer/scaler via the H3D card as well as a DVD player.

If you only use it as a DVD player or cd/mp3 player then you should have no problems.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some nice equipment there, Qyv. Kind of off-topic, but tell us how your H3D look as a scaler/deinterlacer? My LCD FP automatically converts incoming signals, but I suspect sending it a scaled 1280x720 image to match its native resolution would improve my PQ. Did you compare your H3D card to any stand-alone (non-HTPC) scalers/deinterlacers with the same Faroudja DCDI chipset?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Patrick,

Thanks for the compliment :)

The H3D card has done wonders compared to my TV's line doubler.

The colors are more saturated and the inputs are VERY clean.

I use to use a WinTV card and Dscaler but the H3D is WAY better, mostly I suspect due to the WinTV card.

I have tried Dscaler with the H3D but I don't really see much difference and the H3D UI is very nice plus has the benefit of image size and position controls along with aspect ratio.

As far as other deinterlacer/scalers, I don't have access to any others and I've never tried a prog. scan DVD player w/DCDi.

I would suspect it would help atleast some over your built in deinterlacer/scaler but don't really know as you didn't list your stuff ;)

Personally I'm not really big on LCD's, although still envious of an FP, mostly because of the screen door effect. I would like to see one of the new DLP's with the HD2/Mustang chip.

Sharp has a new Z10000 that is "suppose to" have a 2500:1 contrast ratio with I believe 800 ANSI lumens.

If that contrast ratio can be believed it should have some good blacks.

Look around and you will find a lot of info about the H3D on a lot better equipment then mine, they would probably be of more help.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.