AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know these dvds are few and far between, but what happens in a constant height setup with such films? i'm guessing the sides just get cropped.

eric

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
2.40:1 is wider than 2.35:1, so there are very small black bars present on a 2.35 screen. No "cropping" in this forum. :)

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
Although it may sound counterintuitive (and doesn't make mathematical sense), the terms "2.35:1" and "2.40:1" are interchangable. The theatrical standard for "scope" movies changed to 2.40:1 back in the 1970s, but people continued to refer to it as "2.35:1" out of habit. When transferring to video, it's a crapshoot as far as which mathematical ratio the telecine operator uses (some do mildly crop to 2.35:1, others don't), and the labelling on DVD packaging is not always accurate.

The difference between the two ratios is so negligible that it's not worth worrying over.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bills2k
I agree with Joshua. I watched The Hostage which is a 2.40:1 transfer. There were no bars at all on my system.
does your system have overscan, because in that case, there would be no bars. but, since i don't have a 2.35 system yet, i can't comment on the actual ARs of these movies, i'll have to trust Josh on that. you can however tell a difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1, but before i had a 1:1 video setup, it all looked 16:9 to me.

eric

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I don't use overscan or a masking border on my screen, so I definitely notice a bar at the top on 2.40:1.

Quote:
The difference between the two ratios is so negligible that it's not worth worrying over.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
does your system have overscan, because in that case, there would be no bars. but, since i don't have a 2.35 system yet, i can't comment on the actual ARs of these movies, i'll have to trust Josh on that. you can however tell a difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1, but before i had a 1:1 video setup, it all looked 16:9 to me.
The bars aren't noticeable when watching a movie because the active picture area is so big anyway. Sure they're there but who wants to stare at tiny black bars for a 2 hr movie.

If you can't stand it you could physically zoom the picture so that it's the size of a 2.40 image on a 2.35. There'll be the tiny amount of overspill which will go into the masking. Real cinemas overspill all the time to make sure the whole screen is preojected onto to.

The other option is to overscan the picture slightly so that 2.40 becomes 2.35. It's not much overscan and can also help with dvd's that have rough side edges.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Or you can get a 4 way adjustable masking 2.35:1 screen. It may cost more than your projector, but hey, at least you won't have black bars. ;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
To put the diffence between 2.4 and 2.35 in numbers...

I have a 108" x 46" screen, and use theatertek to create custom aspect ratios for movies within that space. 2.35 movies take up the entire thing.

If you were to have 2.40 screen that was 46" tall it would be ~110.4 inches wide. Split the difference left and right and you have 1.2 extra inches on each side.

If you are such a purist that you can't "overscan" 1 inch on each side, on a 9 foot wide screen, then you win the AVS Anal Award, and man that is saying something ;)

If you didn't want to overscan, and keep everything on the screen and in proper proportion, then you would have a 108" x 45" image to display on that screen. So your "black bars" would be one half inch on top and bottom.

Personally I overscan the 1 inch on the sides...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lawdawg, i love your theater! in the end, i'll probably end up overscanning 2.40 movies. i know i've only got a few of them. i am however strongly against overscan and pixel cropping and will make every effort to avoid it save for this issue. after seeing that my old dvd player cropped more than 13 pixels per side of the dvd, and then adding on top of that my old projector had about 4% overscan, i decided my next setup will be better. i currently have a 1:1 setup, but now i need constant height. thanks guys,

eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.