AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently searching for a FP and there is something that I haven't read much about. Most suggest to watch a DLP to see if you suffer from RBE and headaches before making the plunge. But what about your guests, kids, wife, friends, etc?

For this reason I haven't really demoed any DLP's at all; is it foolish to not check it out for that reason? I'd hate to have friends that couldn't come over to watch the game or a movie because they can't watch my display.

Looking forward to an intelligent discussion on this issue.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've had over 20 different people viewing movies and sports on my 4805 with a 4x color wheel. No one has said anything to me about rainbows. I have yet to see one myself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the reason for so much talk about rainbows is that in fact it is only those that suffer that really talk about them, i mean those that dont suffer would not bother stating that they are fine and dont see them, the key is to get the best dlp you can afford (higher speed CW) and make sure it isnt too bright for your room, and just incase get your self an ND filter, if someone complains, ask them to hold on, slip the ND filter on and ask if they still have a problem, these ND filters do help alot and cost very little (i used a Hoya ND2) , some ambient light will help the caus of eye strain and RBE too. To be honest i owned a IF 5700 and never had anyone complain, also remember your guests have no idea what RBE are so they aint gonna be looking for them, so only a very small minority of people will actually see them let alone be bothered by them.

Hope that Helps a little

n0s

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So; is it just a non-issue then? Has anyone actually HAD guests or family that saw the rainbows or got headaches?

nOs; what is a ND filter? what does it do?

·
Registered
625 Posts
i see them sometimes, but ive never had anyone complain.

why? you only see them if you are looking for them.

the filter cuts the brightness in half making blacks blacker and what not. use them when you have a small image, like less than 85" or so.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Whether or not someone can see rainbows really is dependent on the person. Just because someone says they don't see it nor 100 of their friends, doesn't mean you and all of your friends won't see it too. Some people will not risk this even if they know they can't see it nor their friends, and for this reason they choose LCD. It really is a risk that you must take and hope that you and your guests are not prone to RBE. Though it seems that most people are not bothered by them, but there are some that feel it to be too extreme for them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I can see rainbows if I try by darting my eyes back and forth.

I've never had any guests or my kids (probably 30+ people) see anything. I've asked my wife about it, and she has no idea what I'm talking about. . .

Wes

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would just make sure the family is ok. Even if they can see it the effect can be reduced by various means (including the ND filter). Many members reported that the effect wore off over time. Very few people are bothered by it seriously, constantly.

I won't worry about what people might come to your house to watch a movie. Life is too short.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well; I don't seem to be bothered by it, but I haven't found one that I can watch for 20+ minutes either. Only in Costco, which isn't the greatest of demo rooms. ;-)

I can see both sides of the coin; it would just suck to have people over for the superbowl and have 5 people who have to stay out of the room due to headaches.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I've yet to have anyone complain either, and my unit is only 2X colour wheel (NEC HT510), but my brightness is cut by FL-D filter and my room is relatively dark, I am guess 10ftL or less is my image brightness which is probably less than many here, so that might help a lot. It also depends on the content you watch. Superbowl is less prone to rainbows as it isn't as high contrast as say someone with a flaming torch walking in pitch darkness. The colour levels stay relatively constant and you can even watch with some ambient light and not be too bothered... that is what I would do if people were having headaches, reduce contrast with a bit of light in the room (easy to do in my room as my seats are about 4.5m away from the screen and I can turn on only the row of downlights where the seats are only mildly affecting the screen). I've yet to have to do this though. I guess it could also be seating distance, if your seating distance is say 1 - 1.5 times screen width, it is likely that it could be a problem given that many people who aren't used to such a large image would tend to dart their eyes more often resulting in increased chances of seeing rainbows.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
After 2 years with an X1 (DLP) we've had 2 dozen or so guests and no one mentioned rainbows or wanted to stop watching. An non-issue at our house.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I can see them, but if I were over someone else’s house and didn't know better on something like this I wouldn't say something to them, that is being sorta prickish. So don't expect negative feedback from friends in a manner like this. So they still could be getting a headache of the sort and just writing it off to whatever and keeping to themselves.

I did take this into consideration and could be a large factor in me possibly never owning a dlp. Me and the wife seeing rainbows as well does not help. Good thing I feel a LCD can still throw a wonderful picture without possible headaches for us. I'm on a Z2 now, the current gen really upped the contrast, we have another gen right around the corner to take that even further (and to me that is really the dlp advantage and it’s dwindling fast) and then 1080p for teh win! I don't see why I have to go there (dlp) when I'm already satisfied and will have much better units to choose from next go around. I know no one will ever get a rainbow headache from my unit.

A friend got a DLP at the same time I got my lcd. He saw VB and I saw rainbows. In our case we were demo’ing for ourselves and being sensitive to anything. I've been over to his house several times and watched movies, I've seen the rainbows which f with my eyes sometimes, but I never got a headache. Over a period of time I have no more VB due to calibration. He's watched a few movies on mine and appreciates the unit as well. Both are impressive setups.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was able to see some RBE but I trained myself not to see it. My guests never saw anything beside a huge picture. I even asked them and they didn`t know what I was talking about.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What gives me a headache is after 6 years of trying to fix the RBE in DLPs and failing, manufactures still havn't produced a 3 chipper at the $10,000 price point...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Nothing earth shattering here...

I can see rainbows if I try, but rarely do, if at all, anymore. My wife sees them because I pointed them out to her. I've had lots of guests over the past 4 years of owning a projector with a 2x colorwheel, and not one has complained (but as horrorscope said, I doubt any would--it'd be kind of rude). But I had a friend I trusted, and asked him if he was bothered by them, and he had no idea what I was talking about, and really had to set up the pj with a high contrast movie to get him to see the rainbows.

If I had not read so much about them here, I doubt I would really even see them myself.

And like I said, after 4 years of 2x color wheel, I don't really see them anymore. It's very interesting--I have a DIY pull down screen that has some waves that I am trying to solve, but after a few weeks of viewing the waves, my eyes have now been trained not to really see those anymore either.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The rainbow myth was created by frustrated plasma salesman worried that people were spending one tenth the cost and getting a picture over twice as big as the plasma. I'm not saying it doesn't exist because I see them on occasion, but it definitely got overhyped by people who maybe didn't have your best interest at heart.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can see rainbows on a friend's BenQ 6100. They really didn't detract much from my enjoyment of the movie. That said, I wouldn't want to see them constantly on my own system, so I have an LCD projector. But when a friend invites me over to his HT, the rainbows would have to give me a headache or motion sickness before I would mention them unless I were asked directly if I could see them. And if I did mention them, I would say it's my problem. I think Ms. Manners would approve. ;)

Ricketty

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had my 4805 with an ND2 filter for a few months. I haven't seen one yet. I've had more than 10 friends over watching movies and none have mentioned headaches, dizziness, or flashes of color. Everyone's been very impressed. All good so far.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned that it is more noticeable with black and white movies. I'll find out next week with Sin City. Even with that I don't think I'll see it. I've tried shaking my head/eyes back and forth to see what one looks like without success.

But definitely, if you have the chance see if you can demo one. I looked at both DLP and LCD and am happy with my purchase.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.