Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Everyone seems very excited about the new dual mode 848*480 (800*600) DLP chip we find on the Plus Piano or Infocus LP110. But what about PAL movies on 586p DVD player or on HTPC? Does anyone tested those materials on those new projectors.

In fact, the total chip size is 848*600, but a Pal DVD is actually 1024*576, so I guess the onboard chip must scale down the picture. What about the picture quality? Does anyone see any difference wirth a real 1024*576 picture?

Does the HTPC use 848 pixels or only 800 ? In that case the film resolution must be scaled down to 800*453.

It seems that those new PJ are designed for NTSC 480i DVD player use. Poor Europeans.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi manolo,

the full PAL resolution is 576x720. So using a WSVGA proj. in 16:9 mode you loose 16,7% of the hor. resolution - 96 lines.

:cool: Use a 16:9 attachment from Isco optics together with the standard SVGA=800x600 mode and all lines are saved - means +20% in hor. sharpness.

The perfect dmd chip - called Matterhorn - for us European will sell in 2003. It has the long awaited 576x1024 resolution. :D Means no Scaling for PAL sources, in 4:3 and 16:9!

Cheers, Walter

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've watched several PAL DVD's on an 848x480 DLP. It looks great. I'm sure it would look better with an anamorphic lens or with a higher resolution projector, but it looks pretty good just like it is. I haven't noticed any downconversion artifacts. I am using a Radeon equipped HTPC for my viewing.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Walter - Where did ou hear or read about this "Matterhorn" chip? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Walter,

Is the full PAL resolution you mentioned also for 16/9 pictures? My DVDs on PowerDVD look 576*1024.

I dont exactely understand how work those panamorfic lenses. What signal you put, what result you get ? Is it suitabale for 16/9 sources.

Best regards

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi beep,

The 1280x720dmd chip is only used in costly high-end projectors. The cheaper alternative is the new SVGA-DM version. But it's not optimized for Europe. The new resolution for entry-level units has the 576 lines, which also PAL has. ;)

@ manolo:

As far as I know. there is no difference between 16:9 and 4:3 - or not much.

@ Isco anamorphic lense:

If you use a SVGA proj. for PAL 16:9 resolution you only use 450 of 600 hor. lines - DM version 480 lines. So there are two disadvantages: Loose of resolution AND ligh-output.

Using an Isco attachment, all 800x600 pixels are used. The Isco stretches the picture hor. - +33%. With a SIM HT200DM ( or Piano, InFocus LS110 ) and an Isco you get a real 16:9 proj. for PAL. :)

It's also a good solution using a 16:9 screen.

Look here: It is in German, but the pictures on page 2 are self-explaining.

http://grobi.tv/downloads/linse_VersionI+II.pdf

http://grobi.tv/scripts/index.cfm/Fu...Details/ID/300

translate with:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Best regards, Walter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.