AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! It's been a while since I visited this forum. I have a Sony VPH-1030 that does line doubling, and I'm quite happy with it.

Though recently I was offered a much newer projector, a Seleco SVP-310. It looked really interesting with more inputs and better controls, but then I read here that it only does about 16 Hz horizontal scan. I guess it can't do line doubling then?

There aren't any versions like over a specific serial number that does a higher scan, like with the Sony 1030?

Such a shame for a otherwise intersting CRT-projector.

Any replies and info on this projector is welcome! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thats a video only projector. No high definiton , no line doubling, nothing but composite and s-video. Stick with that 1031q its a great machine.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diztinct
It looked really interesting with more inputs and better controls, but then I read here that it only does about 16 Hz horizontal scan. I guess it can't do line doubling then?
That`s right, Seleco 3** series can`t do line doubling.

You should try to find:

SVP 420, 15-16 KHz and 30-38 KHz, 7" tubes, DELTA TAC 4 plastic lenses(quite poor quality)

SVD 500, 15-16 KHz and 30-38 KHz, 7"tubes, Delta HD 145 lenses

SVD 800 HD, 15 - 72 kHZ, 7" tubes, Delta HD 145 lenses

SDG 790, 15 - 90 kHz, 7" tubes, Delta HD 145 lenses

SDG 900, 15 - 105 kHz, 8" tubes, Delta HD 8B lenses

There are many other models.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess you're right. Damn. What where Seleco thinking? :)

I saw it even recieved som "best home theatre projector"-awards back in 98/99.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diztinct
Yeah, I guess you're right. Damn. What where Seleco thinking? :)

I saw it even recieved som "best home theatre projector"-awards back in 98/99.
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that in the 1998/1999 time frame Seleco was trying to push CRT pricing down to consumer friendly levels. After all, the SVP 310 was an inexpensive projector (typically under $5k) that was meant as a TV replacement or gaming projector. The SVP 350 actually had a TV tuner and audio amplifier built in; the 310 was the economy version w/o tuner and amp.

Considering HD and progressive video were more idea than reality at the time, the 310 was more of a standard TV replacement than true HT projector; also HT expectations in the consumer space were pretty low at the time. One could argue that HT expectations are still low in the consumer space, factoring in some of the poor digital projectors and weak HTIB systems being sold to the masses. However, even a $1000 digital PJ can equal or beat the SVP 310 today.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Filecat, thanks for your thoughts on this! You're probably right about that. Guess I got "speed blind" by the advancement of technology and forgot what was top notch back in 1999.

Considering Sony VPH-1030 was totally high end in its days and Seleco SVP-310 was aiming for a totally different market, the lack of line doubling-support is understandable.

It would be really cool if some part of the SVP-310 was easibly changeable or modded to accomodate line doubling, though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.