AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all talk about optimal viewing distances for various configurations.

But how does one fit in the speakers if all you have is a small 50" TV?

No one really asks this question, so I am asking.

My setup:

I myself purchased the pioneer 5010FD (couldn't afford the 6010) about 5 months ago and it's about 11 feet away from my eyes. It's a comfortable distance that works in our family room.

I still have my B&W 603S3 towers for the front, the LCR600 for the center and the 602S2 for the surrounds.

I have been with HD-DVD for a year and now got the PS3 for Blu-Ray and I've been doing some reading and research lately and again came to question my viewing distance.

I experimented last night by seating myself about 6.5 maybe 7 feet from the set and playing some HD-DVDs. I don't know about the resolution (I have good 20/15 eyesight) but the experience was definitely more immersive. However my front 603s seemed out of place from that close.

I was just wondering if others in a similar situation worry about this or how they manage the two? I need to do more tests, but I can't help but feel that sitting further back should give me a more enveloping sound field?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

-- Sanjay

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
If you are in the "near field" of your loudspeakers, they may sound quite different because of changes in your relationship to the sound dispersal pattern of the speakers and changes in the reflected sound you are hearing. This may account for the differences you heard. Sometimes you can change the effect by toeing the speakers in toward your position and thus sounding more like your more distant position. Some speaker may even require toeing out slightly. You have to experiment.

My forumula is that I would like to be equidistant from all my speakers and from the screen and allow sufficient distance for my speakers to spread their sound in the way they were designed to. This may not be possible for everyone because of room arrangements, furniture placement, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts