AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been investigating getting a projector and the X1 is on my list of ones to consider. But I am curious about the cost of the replacement bulbs.

The price for a bulb seems to be about 300 dollars. Now the X1 can be bought for around 900 dollars. The bulb is 30% of the projector cost! So if I use it a lot I would be paying in bulbs what I paid for the projector in the first place. Then I imagine sooner then later the projector may only be worth the price of the bulb. Thats a hard investment to swallow.

Are there group buys on these things? How do you guys deal with the issue?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
With the latest firmware the X1 bulb is supposed to last for 4000 hours. At $300 each, that is just 7.5 cents per hour. I do not understand why people who do not yet own a projector try to make an issue out of this. My Panasonic PT-L200U bulb is supposed to last for 5000 hours and costs $230 to replace, so my bulb cost is less than 5 cents per hour -- definitely money well spent.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Guess that is the small price to pay for a $1000 product which can shoot out a 100"+ image that can out perform any RPTV that costs over twice as much but produces an image 1/4 the size.

IMO, if you are looking at a FP as an investment then you may want to look at a diff industry to invest in.

I personally feel bulbs cost too much but meh, it is a small trade off for the product/performance you get with these things.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It's a risk with anyone you buy.....I am on the fence of the X1 and Sanyo Z1.

Infocus X1

Price $999

Lamp Life Up To 4000 hours

Lamp Price $299

Lamp Warranty 90 days or 500 hours

Throw Distance Long

Artifacts Rainbows

Inputs VGA, S-Video, Composite

Options Keystone, DLP

Aspect Ratio 4:3, 16:9

Warranty 2 year w/ Free extended 3 year until Oct 31st

Matinee HD1

$1,299

Up to 2000 hours

$299

120 days

Short

Screen Door Effect

Component, VGA, S-Video, Composite

Keystone, Lense shift, LCD

16:9, 4:3

3 Year

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lets just hope that our particular bulb does last for the claimed amount of hours. I've heard others folks have issues with bulbs lasting less than a 1/4 of their supposed lifetime.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The way I look at it is how many bulbs does it take to make up the difference between a FP and a RP of the same technology. You will go through a lot of bulbs on an X1 before you equal the up front price of the largest Samsung DLP rear projection TV.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I have never had a projector that lasted any where near 1/4 of the stated life (at worst 3/4 and that is at work where brightness in well lit conference rooms is paramount). But even at that 1000 hours/365 days= almost 3 hours. So a bulb

·
Registered
102 Posts
The topic of bulb cost is one of those nagging issues. In fact, a forum started around the idea of DIY projectors in an effort to make a projector that has a lower bulb replacement cost.

I have to say that some of the results are quite impressive: using modified over head projectors and LCD monitors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bulb cost was the reason i built my own pj. With it I get 6000hrs/bulb at $60 each. Big downside is the size of the beast and that it doesn't have a zoom lens.

Its fun to built one though.

Pic from my diy pj:
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~c.wilders/lotr1.jpg

(I estimate the pj to be around 350 lumen, not enough for my camera. The dots are pins I used to attach different screen materials. The projected image is 80" diagonal)

If you want to try it or see whats cooking look here:
diyaudio

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
What about setting up a massive group buy on some bulbs for some of the more popular projectors like the X1? Also I would imagine that as projectors gain in popularity for home entertaiment use that the cost of bulbs will eventually come down some.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hah, 4K hrs. hahahah sorry but I seriously doubt most x1 owners will see that. There are two kinds of pj owners - those that have had their bulbs burn out early and those that are going to... ok, maybe I exagerate but one only needs to read this forum to glean a degree of truth to that statement.

as to the depreciation factor on pjs - get over it or dont bother with fp. you will drive yourself nuts otherwise.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Originally posted by philba

hah, 4K hrs. hahahah sorry but I seriously doubt most x1 owners will see that. There are two kinds of pj owners - those that have had their bulbs burn out early and those that are going to... ok, maybe I exagerate but one only needs to read this forum to glean a degree of truth to that statement.

Yep. Agree.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The group buy on a replacement part will not reduce the price much below the lowest price you can find online.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Has anyone considered that all these new DLP rear projectoion tv's have a bulb that will eventually burn out? That is what drove me to a front projector. I didn't want the huge box of rear projection. I couldn't afford plasma and I wanted bigger. Now I have a Sharp M20X that makes a very nice picture from a denon 1600. Total cost of projector, screen and cable $1650. I will have to buy a new bulb someday and it will cost $400, but once you have seen front projection in action it is a price worth paying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.