Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question:

What do you think of the Yamaha DPX-1 projector compared to other D-ILA, LCD and DLP projectors?

What screen gain would u choose for it?

------------------

Thank you,

Marcel (pro AV consultant)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Great picture. Rich colors and good contrast. Only negative is if you are susceptible to the rainbow effect. Other than that it looks great. The Stewart Greyhawk is probably the bext choice for this projector.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have seen the dpx-1 in a retail store on a grayhawk screen in close to perfect conditions w/ a panasonic rp91 dvd. It was amazing. Clean picture and nice colors. I was praying my LT 150 would look as good. Well, my LT 150 arrived today. I hooked it up to my cheap phillips 5 disc non progressive dvd by s-video cable and projected it on my pale yellow wall. If this is the worst possible hook up than I can't wait for the perfect hook up. Heck, even a decent hook up will be great. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT pay $10k for the dpx when you can have the LT 150 for 25% the cost. (Note: there were some negatives, but I believe it was all due to my poor hook up. follow the thread I will post on "My first HT experience" for opinions) It will take quite a few months of bad days at work to wipe the smile off my face.

Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattman:
Only negative is if you are susceptible to the rainbow effect.
Yes, I am susceptible to the rainbow effect. Honestly, I don't really know what effect that is but I've seen the projector in action and I can remember that every time I moved my head or blinked with my eyes I could see some color distortion.

What other projector would you recommend that doesn't exceed the price of the Yamaha. (Preferably cheaper.)

Quote:
The Stewart Greyhawk is probably the bext choice for this projector.
Wont the picture get to dark using a PJ with only 800 ANSI lumen and the Greyhawk?

------------------

------------------------------

M. Risberg (Stockholm, Sweden)

AV consultant @ Intelligent Sound

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Marcel, if you see rainbow definitely stay away from the DPX-1. I'm still amazed they released the product with an obsolete single RGB wheel. They were told by a number of us at CES that the unit had problems with rainbow.

Also, you're right to be concerned about the Grayhawk with a low output projector. The DPX-1 flunked the Mission Impossible II demo not only on rainbow, but also the picture was too dark on a Grayhawk.

I have a Grayhawk + Boxlight 38T (Sanyo XP21N clone) combo. IMO,this is the ideal application for the Grayhawk. It makes a dramatic difference in contrast and black level. But this projector cranks well over 2000 lumens, even allowing for tweaking the picture.

Don't rule out LCD, particularly if you have some ambient light issues or would like to be able to watch movies in other than pitch black.

Dan

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I would like to second Mattman's comments. Great projector, but has more rainbow that the LT150. I have seen both machines. Feel free to email me with specific questions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
Great projector, but has more rainbow that the LT150.
Please tell me: what exactly is this rainbow effect?

Does it have to do with the color wheel?

Is there another solution? I mean, is there another DLP projector which doesn't have the defects like color/picture distortion?

------------------

------------------------------

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yes, it is due to the color wheel. You see a flash of color on edges of high contrast images when you move your eye across the screen. All single-chip DLP projectors have it to some extent. Please search the forum for more information on Rainbow, as it has been described in detail before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
Please search the forum for more information on Rainbow
Thanks for your fast answers!

I won't be needing to read more about 'rainbow effects' as I will not accept any defects of that kind when choosing a PJ. :)

Please continue this discussion in my new thread as I am no longer interested in the Yamaha PJ:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008337.html

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.