AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For instance,Tom Cruise constantly gets it for his pretty boy looks and arrogance which have nothing to do with his acting ability.Mind you not all his films are great but there are some.For myself,refusing to watch all movies with him in them because of the above reasons would only be cheating myself.Anyone else agree?

I'm sure we've all heard someone say they won't watch a movie because so and so is in it.What other actors or actresses do you think this happens to?

Question above edited to be more precise

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are many actors and actresses that get me fuming with their short sighted political views. But if I were to boycott all their films, it would not leave much to watch. Maybe a Barney video?:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What,watch Barney?I hate Barney because he's purple.:D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know what you mean about actors and their political views. I like so many actors whose political views are the polar oposite of my own. I may not agree with them but I can still enjoy their performances.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Russell Crowe didn't get an Oscar because he got into a fight, so they say. But Sean Penn seems pretty popular with the Hollywood elite. Go figure.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry,but I don't agree, he did great in I am Sam.

·
Registered
499 Posts
They're both brilliant actors. My point is, Crowe gets snubbed for being a brawler, which has nothing to do with his acting.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Well, since criticism is a personal subjective thing, any reason I choose to criticize any actor is a good reason. You don't have to agree.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I just assume their off-beat political rants are just more "acting" on their part and don't let it affect me. THEY may think they are being real and sincere and correct and all that, but ... just like all of us, they're just "acting." THEY think they're saying something politically important, but they, like all of us, are just a mouth connected to an anus -- an ambulatory speaking food processor for worms and a CO2 manufacturer for plants, whose sense of importance and meaning and significance is self-manufactured for survival and propagation (genetic or political or religious or philosophical) purposes. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
I can't believe that everybody slams Keanu Reeves and says that every character he plays is "Ted" from "Bill and Ted"!!!!! He has so much diversity and range!!!!! I mean, have you even seen "Speed" or "Johnny Mnemonic"!!!!! He was totally the best actor in "Devil's Advocate"!!!!! He even does Shakespeare!!!!!

;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I sort of agree with the Leo bit, he CAN act; just watch "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" for his best performance. Yet I haven't been able to bear watching him in much since then.. couldn't say why.

-sc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Everyone slams on Kevin Costner too. I know he's made movies like The Postman and Waterworld but what about Dances w/ Wolves and his new and brilliant Open Range.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm,just the men? Do I dare say Julia Roberts? She takes a fair amount of abuse too.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Sean Penn is criticized for the wrong reason. He gets pegged as angry; he should be criticized for being anti-American. Don't misunderstand: he's free to rant against America all he wants; however, he should have no expectation to do so without being subject to scorn and disgust by Americans.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
well i've got a reason why kevin costner is almost universally slammed...

he has the personality of a cabbage...

he simply has NO charisma.

IMHO...

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IAM4UK
Sean Penn is criticized for the wrong reason. Don't misunderstand: he's free to rant against America all he wants
Well there's an oxymoron for you. He's not anti-American. Two thumbs up for Sean Penn or anyone in America speaking his or her mind as they see fit, as you are still allowed to do that in this country. However, it appears some want to limit or censor what others who don't have like minds say, now THAT is anti-American.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Well, people criticize Kevin Costner and Julia Roberts BECAUSE of their acting (or lack there of). I think its more like Jonny Depp for living in France, or Arnold for being considered a 'dumb' actor because his native language isnt English, etc. Maybe any of the hundreds of actors could be criticized for being in Scientology.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.