AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike most of the folks here who are lining their walls with duct liner, I'm actually going to put some in my ductwork to help quiet the sound of air rush.

Does anyone know where I can pick up some duct liner adhesive or some other type of adhesive (appropriately heat rated, if necessary) to affix my duct liner to the inside of my ducts? Do they carry anything like this at HD or Lowes?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Assuming you are referring to the lined fiberglass liner, I am used to seeing it installed only for rectangular ducts. The contractors use a special pin that pierces the lined face and gets spot welded to the duct. Some pin fasteners have an adhesive that melts to the lining to prevent fiberglass from escaping into the air stream, however this is usually for higher velocity installations.

If you are referring to the closed cell acoustic foam lining (which is not as acoustically absorbent as the fiberglass lining), a simple contact cement would suffice. In round ducts, it is a little more tricky. Often a silencer is installed inline with the ductwork for metal ducts. Otherwise flex duct with the fiberglass outer shell is often used.

These types of products are not typically found in your normal hardware store. You have to go to the specialty sheet metal supplier depots where the contractors bulk-purchase a lot of their materials.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts