AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a veralite and am now looking for a security system.

The first system I considered was Simplisafe. It looks like a great system but I do not like how it cannot integrate with my vera.

I would like the following out of a security system:
Utilize same sensors as vera ( do not want to put 2 sensors on everything )
Can integrate to vera
Battery backup preferred ( can use my own if needed)
Cell service integrated
Wireless

I really appreciate the input!

·
Registered
6,101 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking into both Elk and DSC.

Do they utilize the same zwave sensors, so that only one sensor per door would be needed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was looking into both Elk and DSC.

Do they utilize the same zwave sensors, so that only one sensor per door would be needed.
I don't think that matters, since you can only link each sensor to one controller. In most cases, integrating an alarm system and a Home Automation system means you connect the alarm panel to the HA hub, and the panel reports zone changes to the HA hub. The HA hub is not talking directly to the sensors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that matters, since you can only link each sensor to one controller. In most cases, integrating an alarm system and a Home Automation system means you connect the alarm panel to the HA hub, and the panel reports zone changes to the HA hub. The HA hub is not talking directly to the sensors.
Things are becoming a little clearer then in that case.

So no matter what I would need sensors for the HA and for security. I suppose this would also give better security since the HA wouldnt control the security sensors.

Does the Elk or DSC kits come with wireless sensors? I am currently renting my place and would like something wireless and something that could be moved to a new place.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Does the Elk or DSC kits come with wireless sensors? I am currently renting my place and would like something wireless and something that could be moved to a new place.
yes. Both products support wireless sensors. Not sure about Elk but DSC also supports wireless keypads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am wondering if these systems can hookup wirelessly to the Vera system or do they have to be wired by ethernet?

Also, do they allow the option for gsm security calls?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like it will not be a fully wired setup as per these instructions:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

This looks like the DSC alarm would have to be hard wired into the EVL3 and the EVL3 would be wired into the home network. Is this correct?

Thinking about getting the following:
DSC PC1616 with all wireless sensors and keypad
GSM module for DSC
EVL3

This would give me a wireless system (except for the EVL3) that can talk to my veralite.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It looks like it will not be a fully wired setup as per these instructions:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

This looks like the DSC alarm would have to be hard wired into the EVL3 and the EVL3 would be wired into the home network. Is this correct?

Thinking about getting the following:
DSC PC1616 with all wireless sensors and keypad
GSM module for DSC
EVL3

This would give me a wireless system (except for the EVL3) that can talk to my veralite.

Thoughts?
Actually the ev-3 is hardwired into the dsc (the other way around), which then connects to the network

You don't really need gsm with the evl3. You can self monitor through network if you wish... that's what I do anyway. Create a (free) account with eyezon.com, register your evl3 with them and you get instant text messages for alarms, doors opening/closing, network failures... etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much peace of mind would just a self monitored kit give?

Is there any way to have a wireless system between the DSM module and the veralite hub or do you need to wire that with ethernet?

Im just looking for a kit that is very similar to the Simplisafe kit but will also connect to my veralite.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
How much peace of mind would just a self monitored kit give?
That's up to you to decide. You get full and complete text massaging on any alarms and a complete log on any events. You can assign to one cell phone or to multiple cell phones. If someone uses their code to disarm then you get a text stating exactly which code was used so you know who's in the house. By looking at the logs you can tell exactly what zones have been opened/closed... and the alarm doesn't have to be set for that either. You don't get that kind of detail with an alarm company.

Is there any way to have a wireless system between the DSM module and the veralite hub or do you need to wire that with ethernet?

Im just looking for a kit that is very similar to the Simplisafe kit but will also connect to my veralite.
Can't help you too much with vera... I don't use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks good. In Fact it looks similar to the ones we have had bought for our commercial enterprise that we began last year. It had an interactive feature that helped greatly when it comes to setting up the system and monitored the progress for providing better security. We got it installed from Canada Security professionals in Ontario upon recommendation by our neighbor who had an alarm installed at their place by the same people. The overall outcome has been more than satisfactory and we are extremely happy with security that has been provided.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts