1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They should both do what you want and claim they will do 1080P, but I have no knowledge of how well they work. The distance you need to go is a significant factor for any such device.

You may have noticed that the first device only requires one CAT5/6 cable while the second device requires two cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Geoff.

I have to say the cat5 extension products work very well for both video and audio. I've sold quite a few of these extenders and have installed some as well. I can tell you that 1080p looked just fine at 80+ feet. Usually, you'll get 1080p up to 100' on most of these products, and 1080i and lower resolutions much farther.

They're easy to install and once you have them set up, forget about them! I would suggest using 2 cat5e or cat6, solid conductor wires which you will terminate yourself. Why do I suggest solid as opposed to stranded wire or finished pre-made patch cables? Patch cables are made from stranded wire so they have more flexibility btw. I know they may work fine in some cases, but the solid wire has always, for me anyway, had the best results.

For a great pinout guide and how to terminate the wire, here is a link to my site:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/networ...uctname-en-asc

It's easy :) Really :)

Some of these extenders need 2 cat5e/cat6 cables to work. You should run each wire point to point. I do not suggest using keystone pass thrus or punch down connectors in a wall plate as I have not had great success doing so. Straight from the source to the display is the best configuration. If you absolutely HAVE to use a plate, please use a punchdown keystone.

What you will need:

Cat5E or Cat6 solid conductor wire

2 - 4 RJ45 connectors

Pinout Guide

Crimp Tool

HDMI cat5e extender

2 short HDMI cables

From the source, run a short HDMI cable into the transmitter extender. Run your two, or single cat5e cable for some of the extenders, from the output of the transmitter the distance you need to go. Plug them into the input of the receiver unit. Plug a short HDMI from the receiver output into any HDMI input on the TV. Make sure the power for the extenders is plugged in and your done as far as the install goes. Easy.

If you have any questions, please let me know

Rock on, I'm out.

Tom

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Use the best cat 6 that you can. Run extra runs, including shielded as well if possible. Keep the lengths as close as possible. Terminate properly, and be prepared to testing different media adapters.

They can be a great solution, but are not foolproof. I have never seen a single HDMI adapter solution work 100% of the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chris - when you say "be prepared to testing different media adapters" what does this mean? I am assuming this is for the Baluns.

I have the milestek wall plates setup for testing right now.

Running unshielded Cat6 at 100'. I am not sure what is actually the best way to test other then hooking it up.

Suggetions?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I mean that no HDMI media adapter I've ever run across has been foolproof across many installations. Every single one I've encountered has in one implementation or another failed while a different one worked fine. Be prepared to try a variety of HDMI adapters if the one you've chosen first doesn't work right. That's why I said that none are 100% reliable.

Testing is difficult because you really want the wire in place where it's gonna be to test it. Handling the wire affects its performance, as well as any noise wherever it's gonna end up, so while testing the wire before its pulled with your baluns is half helpful, it doesn't tell you that it will work once the wire is pulled.

Remember that there is NO failproof HDMI solution except large conduit through which you can pull new wire. Run the best cat you can, handle it carefully, terminate it properly and carefully with absolutely no couplings in the middle anywhere, and pray or do a rain dance or whatever...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.