AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive the simplicity (and stupidity) of these questions, but I just ordered a new 27" Samsung Tantus direct-view HD-capable TV (woohoo!) and a new RCA DTC100 DirecTV satellite receiver to go along with it.

-I realize I need to let DirecTV know about the new receiver, so do I just call them up and let them know I have the new receiver (and access card)?

-Also, do I just run the coax I already have to the new receiver (or do I need a new 'special' cable or anything to receive the HD content)?

-One last dumb question, I have just one of the regular old 18" round dishes, with one LNB, do I need a newer dish to get the HD content, or just move the dish around to point it at the HD bird?

Thanks for all your time, and in advance, the helpful information and tips.

HDTVwannabe

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Get new Dish if you want all the channel plus HD or point the dish you have to 119 for HD only.

Output of DTC-100 is VGA so you need to hook up to a VGA input on the TV or Component input that supports 1080I. You will need to buy an additional device for this connection.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
HDTVwannabe,

First, you'll need to call DirecTV and give them the info re: the DTC-100 if you want to enable reception on the DTC-100. Second, if you do not want to use your old STB, you can disconnect the coax from the back of the old STB and connect it to the next DTC-100. Make sure you tell Direct that you are disabling the old, if that's what you want to do. If you decide to keep the old box along with the new one you'll need a dual LNB. Third, here's where you'll need to buy more hardware. If you want HBO-HD you'll need an oval dish which includes 2 dual LNBs to which you can connect up to 4 or 6 STB depending on the type of switch included with the dish (most common: 4 STB). Installing the oval dish can be a piece of cake or your worst nightmare. If you don't have two left feet and can read an installation manual you shouldn't have a problem installing the new dish. One piece of advice: make sure you get the mounting post plumb and I mean dead on vertical.

BTW, you didn't say if you where looking to get local OTA HD signals. Depending on where you live and location of TV stations broadcasting ATSC signal you would need anywhere from a pair of rabbit ears to a roof mounted antenna or TWC with a HD STB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.