Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice 60" RPTV: $4000

NEC LT150 DLP FP plus one spare bulb: $4000

Can someone explain to me why anyone would buy a RPTV, when they can have a projector for the same price? You get a better viewing angle, a bigger screen, more flexible installation options, no giant bulky box eating half the room, etc?

Having seen, but never owned, these two types of TVs, I can't think of a good reason to get rear projection. I'm planning on getting a projector later this year, and I want to make sure there's not some fatal flaw I'm overlookng.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
A RPTV set can be used with a relatively high ambient light level, while a projector cannot.

------------------

Robert

· Registered
4,070 Posts
The RPTV is a complete package. With the projector, you also have to buy a screen and sound system.

I have a hard time understanding why these projectors are so expensive, frankly. I'm going to get one for the reasons you cited, but the package price, time you get a screen and scaler is around $10K, an astounding amount IMO.

Dan

· Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you about projector price. Let's look at the contents:

1 LCD, DLP, etc.. 1024x768 resolution.

The equivalent object, say, in an LCD monitor, costs $500 or less retail.

1 VLSI "brain"

Probably costs $50 or less, in bulk.

Bunch of input hardware

Again, probably $50

1 Carl Zeiss lens, 2X zoom

Let's be generous and say that this costs the manufacturer $500.

1 Bulb

Again, let's be generous and pretend that this costs the manufacturer $200

So.. We're up to $1300. We have to factor in labor costs, R&D, blah, blah.. So let's just double it. $2600 for a projector that costs $7000 on the open market. Ugly. Of course, this is how all products start out, before they become mass-market items.

Back to the topic at hand:

If I have a drill, a daredevil spirit, and complete control over my ambient light, there's no reason for me to choose an RPTV over a DLP front projector?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.