AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just now entering the market for an LCD tv. I would like to purchase a 46" or larger model. It appears to me that the manufacturers have done a great job delineating the market like wine and diamonds. Size, contrast, refresh rate, AV inputs, Sound...

I see that costco is offering the VIZIO SV471XVT - 47-inch LCD HDTV for $1300.

Can someone please tell me why I should not buy this model? Is VIZIO a suspect brand?

I have never spent more than $200 for a tv so this is a very unsettling process. Thank you for any help and guidance you can offer!

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Vizio is sometimes considered the top brand of the lower tier of LCD tvs. So it's like the best of the worst.

Samsung and Sony are the top brands of the top tier. There are others in between these three brands.

So is Vizio a suspect brand. No, it's just not the quality of the better manufacturers and if you want a really outstanding tv, you should consider the two above, #1 Samsung and #2 Sony.

For very little more check out the link, and as there is no tax, it's probably cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

· Registered
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owurugby /forum/post/16852342

I am just now entering the market for an LCD tv. I would like to purchase a 46" or larger model. It appears to me that the manufacturers have done a great job delineating the market like wine and diamonds. Size, contrast, refresh rate, AV inputs, Sound...

I see that costco is offering the VIZIO SV471XVT - 47-inch LCD HDTV for $1300.

Can someone please tell me why I should not buy this model? Is VIZIO a suspect brand?

I have never spent more than $200 for a tv so this is a very unsettling process. Thank you for any help and guidance you can offer!

Your analogy of wine and diamonds is especially appropriate, any jeweler or wine aficionado will tell you that in most cases you get what you pay for. That said it IS possible to find a great value without going straight to the bargain brand. If all you look at is price than Vizio looks great. If you are looking for quality then I'm afraid you will spend a few extra bucks (hundreds actually) but long term you will be MUCH better off.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
It all depends what you want.

I have always purchased Sony TV's. My preference.

Three years ago I bought a Vizio 32" for the bedroom due to the fact that it was $500 cheaper then the comparable Sony model at the time and I didn't want to spend a fortune on the bedroom TV.

The TV has been very good. No problems. The picture looks great once calibrated. It's main weakness is black level.

I would say that if you don't have alot of money to spend and you can live with a picture that is not in the top tier, you would be happy with a Vizio.

If that is not the case then go for a Sony or Samsung.

· Registered
3 Posts
We have the 47 XVT and have been VERY

satisfied with it -- the 120 hz makes a big

difference in sharpness and responsiveness

(although I would have liked to have waited

for 240hz and above).

Next to our old Olevia, which at the time

was the sharpest set I had ever seen,

the Vizio has been wonderful -- not a single

problem since we got it.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I would say Mes44 assesment was right a couple of years ago. Right now they have clearly put themselves in the 2nd tier group and have some very very well reviewed models and seem to be getting better each year and are competing. Samsung and Sony are battleing out for the Ultra High End models but Vizio is right there in the battle of for the best of the rest.

You'll enjoy it, don't have any second thoughts. Vizio has established themselves as a very solid brand.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
We have had this Vizio VX42L for over 2 years now. It was all we could afford at the time. It has been a great TV. I know it does not have the best picture, it is 720p, and the black levels are gray at best. However it has worked perfectly from day one, and it is often on for 10-12 hours a day. We have HD cable, and an HTPC (typing this on the Viz right now), for both standard DVD and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

So I give it 5 stars for reliability.

When I first got it it, probably 4 stars for pic quality, now more like 3 stars. Not due to any degradation, but simply that sets with much better PQ are available for the same or less money.

I am going to be purchasing either a Samsung LN750B 52", or the Pioneer KRP-500 in the next couple of weeks. The venerable old Vizio will then go to the bedroom, for many years, I am sure.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
I have a Vizio VX37L and have been very happy with it. I have owned a 60" Sony Rear-LCD and currently have an Optoma Front-Projected DLP in my theater so I am not just biased to value priced equipment.

Just the other day my bedroom CRT broke for good so I moved the Vizio up to take its place and picked up a new 40" Samsung for my office/gaming area. To be honest after just plugging everything in I wasn't feeling like I upgraded. I'm sure after I spend a week tweaking to my liking the Samsung will ultimately outshine it, but for almost 3 years I have been extremely happy with the Vizio just using basic suggestions found here and a quick check against a few test screens.

Bottom line is I'd gladly buy Vizio again or recommend to friends.

· Registered
79 Posts
I purchased my first (and last) Vizio 21 months ago, a VX32L10A. I went cheap for my first lcd purchase and in doing so, declined the extended warranty. All was great and I bragged up the Vizio to anyone who would listen. The vizio then goes belly up in the 21st month, but for what it cost, I figure I can put some money into the repair. It surely can't cost too much more then the cost of the extended warranty...I thought until I found what the needed part would cost, which was more then I gave for the tv in the first place. $600+ for the part to repair a 720p tv anyone can purchase new right now for under $400? Sure, if I had purchased the extended warranty, I presumably would have gotten the tv fixed at no cost. But what about when the extended warrany expires?

So if anybody is going to buy a Vizio, better not pass on the extended warranty. For the price of the tv and warranty, they can afford to fix or replace the tv, but can't provide the parts at a reasonable price.

Now I am going back to my program showing on my 20+ year old Mitsubishi CRT that has never seen a repair shop! Thx for letting me rant.

Signed: Former Vizio Customer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.