AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to go ahead and order the Mits hd1000 but now I am having second doubts. With the limitations of my room I just don't think I can make this projector work so I was wondering what other options I would have. For starters my room is fully light controlled and is 21' long by 16' wide but the ceiling height is only 7'. The other contributing factor is the screen has to sit 30" off of the floor due to a built in cabinet under the screen. I have been searching the forums for days now trying to figure what to do and am just getting confused so please help. I have the Infocus 4805 now and it works in my setup with a little tilting of the projector and some slight keystone (6 clicks) but I want to step up to a high def projector. My budget is set around $1200 so if anyone has any input it would be appreciated as I am going insane trying to make a decision on my own. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
That's tuff. The ceiling height. What size screen? I'm sure you can get a 90" screen easily. Give me a minute I'll post the placement calculator.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using a 92" fixed frame screen and the projector has to be ceiling mounted. If there is a way to make it work please let me know, I would really like to use this projector.

·
Registered
358 Posts
here is the configuration I did for your room

So it looks as if you ceiling mount the PJ almost 11 feet back you will acheive the 92" diagonal screen you are looking for. The bottom of the screen will be 19.8" from the floor. This was done using the Mitsu calculator posted above.

·
Registered
314 Posts
With the budget, that is going to be tough. But have you thought about a 2.35 aspect screen? At least you can go much wider without a lot of height required.

I am no expert on 2.35, but it does intrigue me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk /forum/post/0

here is the configuration I did for your room

So it looks as if you ceiling mount the PJ almost 11 feet back you will acheive the 92" diagonal screen you are looking for. The bottom of the screen will be 19.8" from the floor. This was done using the Mitsu calculator posted above.

With those settings I am still around 11" to low could I tilt the projector to move the image up or is that to much of a difference. I have noticed I can get the Panasonic AE900u for just a tad more would that be a better option for me?

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbeal /forum/post/0

With those settings I am still around 11" to low could I tilt the projector to move the image up or is that to much of a difference. I have noticed I can get the Panasonic AE900u for just a tad more would that be a better option for me?

You can certainly tilt the projector to get it away from the floor more. A little bit of tilt is not noticeable to most. To my understanding the AE900u has less of an offset (that being the "problem" for you) so that would bring the screen up a bit from the floor without the need to tilt. But honestly, the HD1000U is still a better bang for the buck IMHO....

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:

You can certainly tilt the projector to get it away from the floor more. A little bit of tilt is not noticeable to most. To my understanding the AE900u has less of an offset (that being the "problem" for you) so that would bring the screen up a bit from the floor without the need to tilt. But honestly, the HD1000U is still a better bang for the buck IMHO....

The Panasonic has lens shift, so offset isn't an issue. He'd have much more flexibility in where and how big the screen is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:

Why do you feel that the HD1000 is a better projector? I have not seen either in action and I have nowhere to view then so I have to live by others opinions and I am very interested to hear yours.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbeal /forum/post/0

Why do you feel that the HD1000 is a better projector? I have not seen either in action and I have nowhere to view then so I have to live by others opinions and I am very interested to hear yours.

One comes down to a preference of LCD versus DLP. It is said that DLP offers "film-like quality" ( see mention in the AE900u review

But that also depends if you are affected by RBE that DLP sometimes displays to some viewers. I personally do not have that problem, but I have read about others on here that do.

Also from my reading I believe that the HD1000U provides deeper blacks and better colors in general out-of-the-box. Granted, I have read a whole lot about many projectors, so this could all be confused. A good thread to read up on if you would like to consider the HD1000U is HD1000U Owners Thread

I do agree that in your situation it might perhaps prove better to have the lens shift ability of the LCD PJ versus the DLP. It all comes down to personal preference really and figuring out what works for your particular setup...

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
What about the Sharp DT500? Offset is very low in comparison to the HD1000U.

I was thinking the 1000U myself, but the offset killed that idea.

The DT500 is also available for a great deal RIGHT NOW (It's been going on for at least a few days, BIG warehouse, and it ain't BJ's
)

It will be more $, but it will probably be LESS than the Panny(unless the 900 is available for a great price now), and it's DLP if thats what you prefer.

JAT

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz /forum/post/0

What about the Sharp DT500? Offset is very low in comparison to the HD1000U.

I was thinking the 1000U myself, but the offset killed that idea.

The DT500 is also available for a great deal RIGHT NOW (It's been going on for at least a few days, BIG warehouse, and it ain't BJ's
)

It will be more $, but it will probably be LESS than the Panny(unless the 900 is available for a great price now), and it's DLP if thats what you prefer.

JAT

The Sharp does look like a good deal now but it is a litlle more than I wanted to spend. The Panny is available at a little less than $1100 right now.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
It was more than I wanted to spend as well, and if I'm not happy.. I will drive to the store and get my $ back.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hi Muzz,

I just downloaded the manual for the DT500. Unfortunately, Like all the projector manuals I have read, it does not show the offset. Where did you get this info? I currently have the HD70. The offset of this projector just barely works on a 6.5' mounting shelf. If the offset of the DT500 is less than that of the HD70, then I might trade up. Also, a 50% increase in price is pretty steep. I hope there is a 50% increase in performance too.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 /forum/post/0

Hi Muzz,

I just downloaded the manual for the DT500. Unfortunately, Like all the projector manuals I have read, it does not show the offset. Where did you get this info? I currently have the HD70. The offset of this projector just barely works on a 6.5' mounting shelf. If the offset of the DT500 is less than that of the HD70, then I might trade up. Also, a 50% increase in price is pretty steep. I hope there is a 50% increase in performance too.

Word is, the DT500 is a clone of the XZ3000 MINUS the second iris. Zipplemeyer had one(he thinks it was defective, returned for a new one), and he mentioned the low ceiling issue here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9420818

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
It's also in the Owners manual, page E20 "H" is the number you are looking for, with the DT500, that # is 7 1/64" for a 100" screen.

I think the 1000U was like 19.5" for a 100" screen IIRC(EDIT: see below)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts