AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious which amps are being chosen for highs and mids in active systems or more to the point, not a sub amp.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I was curious which amps are being chosen for highs and mids in active systems or more to the point, not a sub amp.
I am using active CROWN DSi THX Cinema amps on my front stage. The ones that are specifically made for theater and commercial or installed cinema. I run active, and straight up to the DNA360 compression driver on one channel I get no hiss. That's nice :D

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I use a Crown XTi 1002 for my garage system

3-way vertical line arrays with subs and the XTi works well for the mains. Active crossover, a bit of PEQ built in
and the adjustable limiter set at 225 watts per channel. No hiss, sounds great and can cool itself when the temps
hit in the 90's during the summer.

One complaint, the fan is quite loud but I mounted it in a deep rack and that helped. Only wish was it had a quieter fan
and better variable fan control. If I hear the fan, I just turn it up a notch and viola! Fixed! The warranty is up in another
2 years so I'll mod it then.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Using a Samson sx1200 per LCR for mids and highs.
I threw my inuke 3000 dsp on my mains and by my burned out ears it did not sound as good as my cheap onkyo 709 direct. Even after audessey. I did not measure, but felt the highs were off. But by then it may have just have been me or the beer.... the inuke had way more power though.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
ME 550 II and ME50 for L/R MF and HF respectively. ARX800 8ch amp for the MF/HF of the surrounds. Lots of Yamaha P, PC and PS amps for the midbasses.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I threw my inuke 3000 dsp on my mains and by my burned out ears it did not sound as good as my cheap onkyo 709 direct. Even after audessey. I did not measure, but felt the highs were off. But by then it may have just have been me or the beer.... the inuke had way more power though.
I've read this repeatedly on various forums, the highs are not good on an inuke.

·
Registered
11,706 Posts
I use a FP10k clone, can't hear the hiss over the HTPC fans some 12ft away.

One day I might upgrade to Emotiva XPR's, but for now it's too big, heavy, hot, inefficient and expensive, and I'm not sure if it has less power or not...

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Just picked up an ATI AT6003 for my LCRs, was previously just using an Onkyo NR905 receiver for my HT system. My 2 channel audio system is a different ordeal altogether.

Reactions: LTD02
1 - 20 of 81 Posts