AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys! So I was wondering what amp I should get.. 

I have (2) Polk Audio RTi A9s and a Pioneer SC-1228-K reciever. I am planning to get the matching center (CSi A6) for my RTi A9's and some other speakers for my rears. I am thinking of going with Emotiva and wanted your guys opinions on whether I should get an XPA-5 and put 400w to each tower and 200w to my center and let the pioneer run the back two, OR get and XPA-3 and put 200w to my front stage and let the pioneer run the back two, OR get an XPA-2 for my towers and let the center and rears be powered by the reciever, Any help or knowledge or anything really is appreciated as I am new to the audiophile world. This would be fore 50/50 HT/Music.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitasaurus  /t/1523756/what-amp-should-i-get#post_24516090

I have (2) Polk Audio RTi A9s and a Pioneer SC-1228-K reciever. I am planning to get the matching center (CSi A6) for my RTi A9's and some other speakers for my rears. I am thinking of going with Emotiva and wanted your guys opinions on whether I should get an XPA-5 and put 400w to each tower and 200w to my center and let the pioneer run the back two, OR get and XPA-3 and put 200w to my front stage and let the pioneer run the back two, OR get an XPA-2 for my towers and let the center and rears be powered by the reciever, Any help or knowledge or anything really is appreciated as I am new to the audiophile world. This would be fore 50/50 HT/Music.

Thanks!

Lots of Emotiva owner are very happy with them.

Also look at offer of Outlaw Audio, I got quit a few of them over the years and was always happy with their neutral sound.

That said, you can't go wrong with either or some other brand that cost more.

Best of luck in your search and decision.

Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman  /t/1523756/what-amp-should-i-get#post_24516420

You have no preouts so an amp is of no use for you.
I'm pretty sure the SC-1228-K does in fact have preouts. Unless they stripped them from the SC-1227-K, which I doubt.

Edit: actually, I think you may be right based on this picture. http://www.futureshop.ca/Projects/ResearchCentre/rc9933/2.jpg

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitasaurus  /t/1523756/what-amp-should-i-get#post_24516090

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, it might be better to invest it in a really good sub (Hsu, SVS, or Rhythmic) than electronics that pretty well duplicates that you already have.

For one thing you don't give enough information to determine what your actual power needs are. What sort of peak SPLs do you get during loud passages? We could put that, speaker efficiency, and listening distance into a power estmate using this calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Here's a relevant piece of test gear for just beer money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8928-Decibel-Meter-Digital-Accurate-Sound-noise-pressure-Level-tester-40-130-db-/271167212819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22d34d13

I'd budget at least the same power and perhaps even more for the center channel than the mains.

200 watts is only 3 dB different from the 100 wpc or so that your AVR will pump out into speakers with music or drama, and that is a chump's mere 3 dB upgrade. It takes 10 times the power to create the impression of "twice as loud" so even the proposed 400 watt amps are pretty much like spitting in the wind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts