AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first of all I'd like to apologise if any of this has been asked before in a similar fashion, I did search and try to find an satisfactory answer but i didn't.

I'm attempting to buy my first (real) Home Entertainment/audio set. starting with the sound bit.

Bit of background:

I used to have an radio connected to a Denon amp with 2 Dynaudio Bookshelf speakers. The sound they produced was really nice to listen to.

This set however was not bought by me and was passed down from my dad to me (was only 13 years old at the time), and I don't have the space in my new house to put them. so I consider myself a newby in this area though I love good sound Quality.

==

I'm kind of set on the speakers unless there's a much better alternative size, price and performance wise. The speakers I chose are the KEF T205's. I came to the conclusion that these would probably be the best speakers to start with as they are small (thin) and apparently still produce very good sound (I got this from reviews, as I'm still waiting for a demo).

Aside from those I had a look at HK's HKTS-30's, KEF KHT5005.2 and KEF KHT6000 ACE (but it's out of my budged... for now), some Onkyo's and quite some others..

max budget for the speakers is 1500 pounds (though that would be pushing it).

My point with this is what kind of amp should I get with it, first of all I'd like to say I don't care whether or not it has Ipod support or not

Obviously I want something that sounds good and will last for at least a couple years to come, and does not become to hot or start vibrating or display artefacts. As the Amp would be the host for all Audio and Video to the TV, which currently is a SamSung T260HD (25.5" Screen) later to be replaced by a 50-55" but for now it's 25.5 so I'd like to be able to read the on screen GUI of the amp without to much trouble.

I have been looking at the following amps and can't really decide what would be good for me or not:

- Onkyo TX-NR609 or TX-NR709

- Denon AVR-2312 or AVR-3312.

These are the only models readily available in my area... other would require some more work obtaining.

Now obviously the highest model numbers are the best, more features etc. but also more expensive.

I would like to be able to browser my computers, NAS drive or from anything attachable through USB. Internet Radio would also be nice, which might push me more towards Denon as I read somewhere you had to buy that option on the Onkyo's? Although later in that case I could also buy an external Internet Radio Device.

Also the ability to upscale some sources output to 1080p would be nice, and the option to sellect a different sound input (like HDMI for video and Optical or Coaxial for Audio [Sky box...])

I also read somewhere that Onkyo's might sound a bit harsh and Denon sound more clear and such.

The set would probably used for 10% Gaming (Xbox/Wii), 50% Music, 15-20% Movies and 20-25% watching TV.

It's not that I don't watch TV, Movies or Games alot, but that I have Music playing pretty much the whole day while I'm working from home.

I'm hoping that some of you can help me paint a clear picture of what to get for these 'life-style' type speakers (if those perform well enough for the money you buy them for).

==edit==

just to add that for sake of simplicity an HDMI and USB connection on the front would be an added bonus for me.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I think youll be happy with the denon's you chose. If you can afford the higher model then go for it. I am suggesting the denon because it will give you the networking and featurs you are looking for. I would havesuggested a Marantz but the price puts it out of the quesiton so the next best bet is these denon's. They will run your speakers just fine, and there will be enough power for bigge rmodels down the road. They have a well built amplifer section and they have enough video switching for your needs and you will be able to read the GUI on your TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can afford the higher model, practically each month I wait my budget will increase with 250 pounds, maybe in the future I'll have a look at marantz when I have a more permanent place with more space for bigger speakers.

Thank you Kal, I did indeed mean AV Receivers and not Amps, I quess i must have mixed up those two names when writing the post.

===

I do have the budget to go for the higher models, but the real question is is it worth it to go for the Denon 3312 over the Denon 2312. and to which model does the TX-NR709 compare itself best?

For me the main choice has been between Denon 2312 VS TX-NR609 and 709, as they seemed similar enough. although It seems I can get the Denon 3312 for roughly the same price as the 2312.

Also have I been wrong in comparing the Denon 3312 with the TX-NR709, or should it have been the 809?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
^^

The 3312CI isn't necessarily "better" than the 2312CI, rather it offers more features. If you haven't already, take a look at the first few posts in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the various models (although the EU models are slightly different in that they include preouts on the 2312CI IIRC). Also, the 3312CI is likely between the 709 and 809 as far as which it's more comparable to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I have been looking at that, one reason why i did not go for the 1912 or 2112 was because a friend of mine has the 1912 and the on screen gui doesn't look that great in terms of it being clear. And I prefer having a front HDMI.

Also since 2312 is nearly same price (for me) as 3312 I think i'll go for that one, and hopefully it will last for a long time so that I can use it to upgrade to some real bookshelf speakers further down the line.

though one thing does confuse me on the 3312, on your thread/topic page it says HD radio what does that mean?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.