AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just would like to know what people are using in the NY area to pull in OTA HD signals. Before I go to the store and spend more money I would love to know what would work best. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quick and easy, Radio Shack Double Bowtie antenna for $14.99 perform the modification, see how that goes, if needed try amps, or different antennas if needed for multipath ect.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Staten Island...NY. I guess I dont want to spend over 100...125 around there. I get my Tv on Sat afternoon...so I am going to have something by then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only OTA HDTV you can get in NYC is CBS and Fox from the Empire State Building. NBC and ABC went blank after 911. CBS is the only station with true HDTV.

Joseph Rabushka

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im really confused about the VHF UHF transmitting. I just bought a Double B tie from RS. Is this good for picking up the HD from CBS NY? Is CBS broadcasting their HD on VHF? Or UHF???

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
All local area HD channels are or were operating in the UHF band (as is true in most areas of the country). The only exception is an ABC HD affiliate out of New Haven, Ct. That station is in the VHF band but it is doubtful you'd get reception from them in Staten Island. I'm on Long Island and do receive them, but even here the reception is not consistent. So, in the end, you'd probably be safe with a UHF only antenna.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ken...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ken Ross is on the money. I've spent way too much time trying to get the VHF station from CT, and I'm much closer than you. Stick with a double-bow and you'll be fine with CBS and Fox (UPN in 480i on FOX subchannel). Sit tight with the rest of us and when that new tower is erected, we'll be in great shape (just don't hold yuor breath).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.