AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is partly due to production cost, being that the casting components for the direct view glass tubes can be much more expensive for 16:9 vs. 4:3. For the RPTV's, this is not as much, but the CRT's inside the RPTV's are very expensive.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of supply and demand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Chiu:
I think it is partly due to production cost, being that the casting components for the direct view glass tubes can be much more expensive for 16:9 vs. 4:3. For the RPTV's, this is not as much, but the CRT's inside the RPTV's are very expensive.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of supply and demand.
The 50H71 is also RP, so is it just supply and demand then? Or are the 16:9 components that much more expensive? Or is it the perception that a 16:9 set is more "high end" than an equivalent 4:3 set?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The 16:9 units also spend much longer on the assembly line than 4:3 units. Much more manual labor must be put in to get all the screen modes set up.

The longer it stays on the line, the more it costs.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mostly perceived value and economies of scale.

Quote:
What 16:9 glass tubes? Going into what models? Virtually all of the 16:9 RPTVs use 4:3 tubes and squeezed rasters.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hitachi just came out with a theater wide version of my HDTV. It is just a couple of hundred dollars more for the wide screen. I think most of the componets are the same. It is new so my version which has been out for a year is coming down in price.

------------------

Hate everything sony!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Something Else,

Comparied to other HDTV that size Toshiba offers the best picture for the best price.

------------------

Hate everything sony!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not for long. My next newsletter explores the pricing of HDTV ready displays as we approach the 4th quarter. New manufacturing techniques and technologies that are being incorporated into the 2002 models will influence pricing.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Influence pricing in what way? Are the other manufacturers' prices coming down or are the Toshibas going up?

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, whenever Mr Gary Merson recommends a set like the Zenith 64" in his magazine columns, the set price goes higher as people buys more. If not higher, it stays the same.

Again, it is supply and demand.

Paul

·
Registered
461 Posts
From what I remember H81s are about the same price as the H80s and many things have been upgraded. So the way I see it, now you get a better RPTV for the same price as the previous RTPV. Not that the last model was bad by any means but I was impressed that the new model didn't go up in price.

------------------

Hate everything sony!!!

[This message has been edited by Michael4JBL (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
>> "economies of scale"

I agree with that.

Until 16x9 sets outsell 4x3's they will cost more.

If there is a suddent increase in demand for 16x9s

then the prices could spike until production catches

up with demand.

Actually as people move to 16x9 sets the 4x3 prices

will probably drop as manufacturers may have excess

inventory of 4x3 sets and excess production capacity

(plus the designs costs were long since depreciated).

So - I would think 16x9 sets will cost quite a bit more

than 4x3 sets until the day that 16x9 are mainstream

and 4x3 are the "botique" item.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Its obviously more expensive to make the 16:9 tubes.

The development costs are also being amortized.

This is a new size, and they do have performance problems. The tubes do not perform as well as the 4:3 ones. Or they can, if you plow enough money into them.

The electronics are a new design as well. Again, we are paying for the development costs.

This is the price we pay for wanting to be the first ones to own a new standard.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The price differential is already dropping off fast.

Last week at Best Buy, they had the 47" widescreen Panasonic on sale for $1899, and the new 50" widescreen Toshiba for $2499. I didn't check the 4x3 prices, but I doubt that they're much lower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As the subject says, why are 16:9 HDTV sets *so* much more expensive than 4:3 HDTV sets? Specifically, I'm looking at the Toshiba 50H81 and the Toshiba 50H71. The prices I've seen suggest that the 50H81 is 30% more expensive. They both support 3:2 pulldown, line-doubling, HD scanning, etc. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Andrew

[This message has been edited by achalupka (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by achalupka:
As the subject says, why are 16:9 HDTV sets *so* much more expensive than 4:3 HDTV sets? Specifically, I'm looking at the Toshiba 50H81 and the Toshiba 50H71. The prices I've seen suggest that the 50H81 is 30% more expensive. They both support 3:2 pulldown, line-doubling, HD scanning, etc. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Andrew

[This message has been edited by achalupka (edited 08-09-2001).]
no, the subject does not say "why" it says "what".

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar:
no, the subject does not say "why" it says "what".

Yeah, yeah. Silly fingers...it was a typo. Unfortunately, you can't edit the subject line, only the content of the message.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.